I just finished watching the show Smallville...

Utahraptor Ostrommaysi

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And I have to say it's pretty great. I'm a big fan of comic book Superheroes and Superman is one of my favorite Superheroes. And I love this show's portrayal of a young Clark Kent/Superman.
Over the course of 10 seasons you get to see Clark Kent go from being an awkward teenager in high school to the mighty man of steel, Superman.
I like that the show doesn't shy away from showing Clark's "human" side. Some people accuse Superman of being a Gary Stu and they often say that he is too perfect to be relatable (which for the record I don't agree with that, but that's besides the point) but Smallville's Clark Kent is far from being perfect and a lot of times throughout the show he made mistakes that often made bad situations even worse.
I won't give specific examples of what I'm talking about because I don't want give away any major details about the plot to the people who haven't seen the show, so I'll just say check out the show and see what I'm talking about for yourself.
If you're a Superman fan, or if you just like comic book Superheroes in general, then I think you will enjoy this very interesting take on the Superman Mythology. It has some early 00s cheesiness and the effects don't hold up that well compared to today's standards, but that's what makes the show that much more fun IMO.
Oh, and the Smallville theme song is fucking awesome.

I watched this as it was coming out, and its the best superhero show the network did except for the fist season of Arrow

And I have to say it's pretty great. I'm a big fan of comic book Superheroes and Superman is one of my favorite Superheroes. And I love this show's portrayal of a young Clark Kent/Superman.
Over the course of 10 seasons you get to see Clark Kent go from being an awkward teenager in high school to the mighty man of steel, Superman.
I like that the show doesn't shy away from showing Clark's "human" side. Some people accuse Superman of being a Gary Stu and they often say that he is too perfect to be relatable (which for the record I don't agree with that, but that's besides the point) but Smallville's Clark Kent is far from being perfect and a lot of times throughout the show he made mistakes that often made bad situations even worse.
I won't give specific examples of what I'm talking about because I don't want give away any major details about the plot to the people who haven't seen the show, so I'll just say check out the show and see what I'm talking about for yourself.
If you're a Superman fan, or if you just like comic book Superheroes in general, then I think you will enjoy this very interesting take on the Superman Mythology. It has some early 00s cheesiness and the effects don't hold up that well compared to today's standards, but that's what makes the show that much more fun IMO.

Watched maybe 5 seasons. One thing I noticed is that Clark keept killing the super villains by accident in early seasons. Dude had more death on his rap sheet than Lex for quite some time.

I watched this as it was coming out, and its the best superhero show the network did except for the fist season of Arrow
Yeah, Smallville is great. I haven't watched Arrow yet, I guess now would be the perfect time to check it out right?

Watched maybe 5 seasons. One thing I noticed is that Clark keept killing the super villains by accident in early seasons. Dude had more death on his rap sheet than Lex for quite some time.
LOL true, but at least he doesn't straight up murder people like DCEU Supes does.

Still my favorite Lex Luthor

giphy-10.gif

Still my favorite Lex Luthor

giphy-10.gif
Yeah, Smallville's Lex is great. And Michael Rosenbaum's portrayal of Lex Luthor is fantastic.
I might get some flak for saying this, but Michael Rosenbaum's portrayal of Lex is on the same level as Heath Ledger's portrayal of The Joker. That's how good Rosenbaum's portrayal of Lex was IMO.
I like that Clark and Lex started off as friends but then gradually became enemies as the show progressed. (An idea that originated in the comics, but was never expanded on as much as it was in Smallville) And that Lex, while he had many flaws, was still a decent guy for the most part in the early seasons. So it's even more tragic when you see what a monster Lex becomes in the later seasons.

Man, I remember talking about Smallville episodes in HS. This brings back great memories.

I stopped watching shortly after graduation. But I always wanted to finish the show.

The show came out when I was in HS and it was awesome, especially for its time. I went back and watched the first season not too long ago and it was cheesy, but still good.

- Smallville Lex utterly destroys BvS Lex. Rosenbaum and Welling had really good chemistry.
- The conversations between Lex and his dad were always well-acted imo.
- Lana can't act...there, I said it. She was nice to stare at though.
- The Kents were awesome and the episode where Jonathan Kent dies still gets me, but I like how they wrote it.
- Why the hell did Allison Mack have to be a crazy lady? She was so cute and likable!
- Lois had a nice body.
- And yes, that theme song still slaps. Got that bad boy on the gym playlist.

EDIT: Ohhh I forgot my favorite thing about Smallville. The music selection. Whoever was responsible for picking the music deserved a raise. Even if you're not into that type of music, the words in the songs usually went along with the story and I think that's important in a tv show. Also because I pay attention to stupid stuff like that.

Last edited:
Damn that's old. I just remember that chick that kind of look like Michelle Waterson, but way cuter.
beauty-and-the-beast.jpg

Was it strange to watch, knowing what eventually happens to this girl in real life?

allison-mack-smallville-arrested-1200x733.jpg

Man, I remember talking about Smallville episodes in HS. This brings back great memories.

I stopped watching shortly after graduation. But I always wanted to finish the show.
I'm glad I could bring back old memories.
With this Coronavirus fiasco going on, now is the perfect time to go back and finish the show right?

Howard Stern would watch this show and talk about it all the time. He seemed to love it

My friend put me up on Smallville. He had all the seasons on DVD. Really solid show. The pilot episode is one of the greatest of all time in my opinion. Really set the tone for the series

Welling and Rosenbaum were the standouts by far

- Smallville Lex utterly destroys BvS Lex. Rosenbaum and Welling had really good chemistry.

They really were. Still shocks me how their relationship ended

Lana can't act...there, I said it. She was nice to stare at though.

I thought people were just giving Lana a hard time when I heard about her acting skills but MAN were they right. Best looking chick on the show but she was not a good actress and I really began to hate her character as the seasons progressed

"Somebody saaaavvvvvveeee me..." Smaville's theme song is up there with The O.C's theme song and I mean that as the highest compliment.

The show came out when I was in HS and it was awesome, especially for its time. I went back and watched the first season not too long ago and it was cheesy, but still good.

- Lana can't act...there, I said it. She was nice to stare at though.
- The Kents were awesome and the episode where Jonathan Kent dies still gets me, but I like how they wrote it.
- Why the hell did Allison Mack have to be a crazy lady? She was so cute and likable!
- Lois had a nice body.
Yeah, when you think about it, Smallville and Buffy the Vampire Slayer were the first shows to mix teen drama with supernatural/Sci-Fi/fantasy elements. Now that Superhero and other supernatural type of shows are all the rage these days Smallville and Buffy were very important shows in retrospect.
True, Jesse Eisenberg is a good actor but he was horribly miscast as Lex. Rosenbaum and Welling were perfect as young Lex Luthor and Clark Kent on the other hand. I would love to see them reprise their roles in a live action Superman movie in the near future.
Yes, John Glover, who played Lionel Luthor, is a great actor in his own right.
Eh I think she's okay. She gets better as the seasons go along. But yeah...she's pretty bad in the early seasons Season 1 in particular. Kristin Kreuk gets better as the show goes along, but she's not on Tom or Michael's level.
Yeah, the Smallville versions of Jonathan and Martha Kent are probably my favorite versions of those characters. Jonathan's death was very sad, but it was really well done.
Yeah, it's a shame too because I think she is a good actor and I really like the Chloe Sullivan character. A lot of the blame has to go to that asshole who brainwashed her, but still she is an adult so she still needs to be held responsible for her actions.
I can't comment on that because I'm not into women, but I will say that I liked Lois's character a lot and I'm glad she ended up with Clark instead of Lana. I never really liked Lana that much. And the Clark x Lana pairing really only works in the early seasons before Lois was introduced in season 4 anyway. As soon as Lois was introduced, I was rooting for her and Clark to get together ever since.
One of the best TV show theme songs of all time for sure.

Back