I just dont understand this Brady-Rodgers stuff. Sorry

I already destroyed this division nonsense in the current NFL thread. There's no refuge in the tougher division apologism for Rodgers:

Corona has been making the same dumb argument you're parroting less eloquently. When Rodgers wins, it's because he's great; when he loses, it's because that reality reflects a team parched without that greatness. He blames Aaron's game manager tendencies on his defense. Meanwhile, Brady doesn't lose. Nowhere is the coincidence explained why the revolving door of personnel around Brady is always mysteriously able to him while po' wil Aaron never has any help. Nowhere is the coincidence explained why Aaron converts so few of those years where he gets help into playoff success.

Aaron never makes anyone radically better. Aaron never gets drafted/sent a receiver that is supposed to be mediocre, or even less than that, and then makes that guy look brilliant. Meanwhile, Tom Brady is the lord of Alchemists up there in Boston turning lead into gold.

It's like those still desperately clinging to argument Kobe is better than Lebron. At least in Kobe's case he had the ring advantage despite those seasons missing the playoffs or exiting in the first round. You can make those arguments for several seasons, but after two decades, it just doesn't sell. It reminds me of the colloquialism, "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you're unlucky, because you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day...you're the asshole."

That clarifies everything for either man. It's not a coincidence Aaron isn't Rumpelstiltskin, and it's not a coincidence that Tom Brady is playing for the AFC Conference Championship for the 13th time.

Brady >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rodgers
@Corona
<Rodgers1>

Aaron never makes anyone radically better.
Fat Lacy
James Jones
Greg Jennings
Tom Crabtree
Jordy Nelson

ALL fell off DRAMATICALLY when they left the Packers. And in Jones' case produced again when re-united with Rodgers. You'll see Cobb fall off a cliff production wise next season if he's not a Packer same as Geronimo Allison.

Keep trying.

@Corona

Fat Lacy
James Jones
Greg Jennings
Tom Crabtree
Jordy Nelson

ALL fell off DRAMATICALLY when they left the Packers. And in Jones' case produced again when re-united with Rodgers. You'll see Cobb fall off a cliff production wise next season if he's not a Packer same as Geronimo Allison.

Keep trying.

@Corona
Lacy radically better? <{walkerwhut}> How?

Jennings, Cobb and Nelson were good players anyways, their drop off was age and injuries.

Crabtree and jones?<bball1>

Your definition of radically is more like mediocrity.

Rodgers is merely a slightly better Romo who had the luxury of having much better overall teams, especially on defense and having the refs rob Dez and ruin the integrity of football advancing the Fudge Packers to a inevitable loss.

NE/Brady fans don't understand football, so it's no surprise this is hard for you.

Rodgers is simply more talented and better at literally everything.
Brady is more successful and plays for a better team and coach.
What an ignorant statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fat Lacy
James Jones
Greg Jennings
Tom Crabtree
Jordy Nelson

Keep trying.

@Corona
LOL. Lacy was a raw talent who ate his way out of the league. Rodgers had nothing to do with his success or failure.

Fat Lacy
James Jones
Greg Jennings
Tom Crabtree
Jordy Nelson

Keep trying.

@Corona

CrabTo00_2016.jpg

mj-laughing.gif

I already destroyed this division nonsense in the current NFL thread. There's no refuge in the tougher division apologism for Rodgers:

Corona has been making the same dumb argument you're parroting less eloquently. When Rodgers wins, it's because he's great; when he loses, it's because that reality reflects a team parched without that greatness. He blames Aaron's game manager tendencies on his defense. Meanwhile, Brady doesn't lose. Nowhere is the coincidence explained why the revolving door of personnel around Brady is always mysteriously able to carry him while po' wil Aaron never has any help. Nowhere is the coincidence explained why Aaron converts so few of those years where he does get help into playoff success.

Aaron never makes anyone radically better. Aaron never gets drafted/sent a receiver that is supposed to be mediocre, or even less than that, and then makes that guy look brilliant. Meanwhile, Tom Brady is the lord of Alchemists up there in Boston turning lead into gold.

It's like those still desperately clinging to argument Kobe is better than Lebron. At least in Kobe's case he had the ring advantage despite those seasons missing the playoffs or exiting in the first round. You can make those arguments for several seasons, but after two decades, it just doesn't sell. It reminds me of the colloquialism, "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you're unlucky, because you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day...you're the asshole."

That clarifies everything for either man. It's not a coincidence Aaron isn't Rumpelstiltskin, and it's not a coincidence that Tom Brady is playing for the AFC Conference Championship for the 13th time.

Brady >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rodgers

No, you didn't. You don't understand teams build for their division first then everything else. The Patriots are so versatile because they don't have to build for their division and it's filled with incompetence. Winning your division rather easily for 20 years guarantees you many playoff opportunities and more importantly a first round bye, which most teams in the league win a majority of their games after the bye week. This HAS to be recognized (https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/trend/win_trends/is_after_bye?range=yearly_since_2003) This is an objective fact. The division Aaron Rodgers is in, has the Vikings who are an winning franchise, top 5 most winning franchise in league history, and the Chicago Bears. Both teams have elite defenses, and you have to build against those or you're throwing away 4 games a season. The Patriots couldn't build so versatile if they had a competent division.

Rodgers has had 1 defense in the top 10 that I can remember in his entirety of his career. Brady has a top 10 defense almost every year. He also has the best coach, the best kickers of all time, and again a shitty division to boot. Aaron Rodgers can't manage a game by simply scoring all the time. He's better than Brady literally everywhere except vs Cover 3 defense. He's never had elite receivers. Jordy Nelson and Donald Driver are VERY GOOD but not elite. Davante Adams might be getting there. He's definitely an elite Red Zone threat. Also, Dom Capers could only coach with a lead. His defenses are designed to bend but not break but they always shipped out their top DB's under his regime and they even did it again this year. That front office is a fucking joke compared to the Patriots.

Aaron never makes anyone radically better? Name a receiver who's left Green Bay and been successful. The answer is 0. Who left the Patriots and been successful? Literally everyone. Jordy Nelson was considered a top receiver (I never considered him one) and the moment he leaves Green Bay he magically declines. The only guy who I can remember leaving and being successful is Jared Cook, as a tight end who was successful before Green Bay. Greg Jennings = can, Jordy Nelson = Can.

There is absolutely no way you can look at the way Rodgers players and how Brady plays and you can say Brady is better. Absolutely no way. Every objective criteria Rodgers is better than Brady. Your only argument is team based accomplishments. Even Brady acknowledges that if Rodgers was on the Patriots he'd be even more insane

In a conversation with an NFL coach within the past few seasons, Brady said that if Rodgers had the Patriots' offensive system and exhaustive knowledge of opposing defenses, "He'd throw for 7,000 yards every year. He's so much more talented than me." [/quote']

I watched Brady and Rodgers play head to head this season and Brady went 6/6 with a TD and a perfect passer rating while Rodgers choked and went 2/7 with a 39 passer rating in the 4th quarter when the game was on the line.

Eli Manning > Tom Brady

Mark Sanchez > Tom Brady (wins in the yoffs)

Ez argument

What an ignorant statement.

No, it's actually quite well informed. Patriots fans weren't fans before 2001. Source: Literally no Patriots fans before their super bowl. I know, because nobody gave a flying fuck about New England pre or post Bill Parcells. The Hoodie came in and made them relevant.

Eli Manning > Tom Brady

Mark Sanchez > Tom Brady (wins in the yoffs)

Ez argument

No, it's actually quite well informed. Patriots fans weren't fans before 2001. Source: Literally no Patriots fans before their super bowl. I know, because nobody gave a flying fuck about New England pre or post Bill Parcells. The Hoodie came in and made them relevant.
This is true. They were on the verge of being moved before kraft took over

No, you didn't. You don't understand teams build for their division first then everything else. The Patriots are so versatile because they don't have to build for their division and it's filled with incompetence. Winning your division rather easily for 20 years guarantees you many playoff opportunities and more importantly a first round bye, which most teams in the league win a majority of their games after the bye week. This HAS to be recognized (https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/trend/win_trends/is_after_bye?range=yearly_since_2003) This is an objective fact. The division Aaron Rodgers is in, has the Vikings who are an winning franchise, top 5 most winning franchise in league history, and the Chicago Bears. Both teams have elite defenses, and you have to build against those or you're throwing away 4 games a season. The Patriots couldn't build so versatile if they had a competent division.

The Bears have been trash since Rodgers joined the league. They have the same record as the Dolphins since 2008.

And nice dodge ignoring the Lions who literally went winless while Rodgers was a starter.

He's never had elite receivers. Jordy Nelson and Donald Driver are VERY GOOD but not elite.

mj-laughing.gif

If only he had legends like Deion Branch and David Givens like when Brady lead the league in passing.

The Bears have been trash since Rodgers joined the league. They have the same record as the Dolphins since 2008.

And nice dodge ignoring the Lions who literally went winless while Rodgers was a starter.

mj-laughing.gif

If only he had legends like Deion Branch and David Givens like when Brady lead the league in passing.

Except 2007, 2010, and 2012

New f4g fan found. Otherwise the Vikings did well in the division too. Learn football you geek. Football existed pre-2014. Glad I could educate you.

Except 2007, 2010, and 2012

New f4g fan found. Otherwise the Vikings did well in the division too. Learn football you geek. Football existed pre-2014. Glad I could educate you.

1) Rodgers didn't become a starter until 2008, so who cares about 2007.
2) The Bears were garbage in 2007, they were good in 2006 despite having Sexy Rexy.
3) You liked a post, which I corrected, saying the Patriots were looking to move before Kraft took over despite it being Kraft's plan 4 years after owning the team so I obviously know more pre-2014 than you do.

Try talking shit when you aren't so horribly wrong.

1) Rodgers didn't become a starter until 2008, so who cares about 2007.
2) The Bears were garbage in 2007, they were good in 2006 despite having Sexy Rexy.
3) You liked a post, which I corrected, saying the Patriots were looking to move before Kraft took over despite it being Kraft's plan 4 years after owning the team so I obviously know more pre-2014 than you do.

Try talking shit when you aren't so horribly wrong.

The Bears have been trash since Rodgers joined the league.

Fuck off with your deflection and cannery

I am 100% right, shit for brains. You're dumber than Lamar Jackson, actually fuck that. You're dumber than Morris Claiborne

Rodgers has had 1 defense in the top 10 that I can remember in his entirety of his career. Brady has a top 10 defense almost every year. He also has the best coach, the best kickers of all time, and again a shitty division to boot. Aaron Rodgers can't manage a game by simply scoring all the time. He's better than Brady literally everywhere except vs Cover 3 defense. He's never had elite receivers. Jordy Nelson and Donald Driver are VERY GOOD but not elite. Davante Adams might be getting there. He's definitely an elite Red Zone threat. Also, Dom Capers could only coach with a lead. His defenses are designed to bend but not break but they always shipped out their top DB's under his regime and they even did it again this year. That front office is a fucking joke compared to the Patriots.

Aaron never makes anyone radically better? Name a receiver who's left Green Bay and been successful. The answer is 0. Who left the Patriots and been successful? Literally everyone. Jordy Nelson was considered a top receiver (I never considered him one) and the moment he leaves Green Bay he magically declines. The only guy who I can remember leaving and being successful is Jared Cook, as a tight end who was successful before Green Bay. Greg Jennings = can, Jordy Nelson = Can.

There is absolutely no way you can look at the way Rodgers players and how Brady plays and you can say Brady is better. Absolutely no way. Every objective criteria Rodgers is better than Brady. Your only argument is team based accomplishments. Even Brady acknowledges that if Rodgers was on the Patriots he'd be even more insane
The "win-after-a-bye" rate is certainly an objective stat, but it doesn't tell us much. The reason is you haven't provided any regression analysis controlling for record. Those teams with a bye enjoy a stronger average record, so they are already less likely to win. That's like pointing to the fact teams with a stronger home seed in the NBA playoffs (#1-#4) have a higher win percentage in the NBA playoffs. Of course they do! They earned one of the top four seeds. It's not a coincidence that these teams secured this. They're the better teams.

Start with Brady's sophomore season in 2001, since he only played a single game as a rookie (few rookies play), and leaving out 2008 since that was the year he was injured, here are the regular season records for the teams you mentioned-- since I noticed you didn't want to talk about the Lions, but you did want to talk about this year's defenses for these two teams as if they reflect overall divisional quality for the past two decades:

NFC North
  • Minnesota Vikings: 145-125-2 (53.7% win percentage= 8.6 wins avg per season, or staggered 8-8 and 9-7 seasons)
  • Chicago Bears: 135-135-0 (50.0% win percentage = 8.0 wins avg per season, or 8-8 seasons)
  • Detroit Lions: 104-166-0 (38.5% win percentage = 6.2 wins avg per season, or ~6-10 seasons)
AFC East
  • New York Jets: 123-147-0 (45.6% win percentage = 7.3 wins avg per season, or ~7-9 seasons)
  • Miami Dolphins: 121-149-0 (44.8% win percentage = 7.2 wins avg per season, or ~7-9 seasons)
  • Buffalo Bills: 112-258-0 (41.5% win percentage = 6.6 wins avg per season, or staggered 6-10 and 7-9 seasons)

Notice how these things stabilize over time? Unless I'm mistaken, the Detroit Lions have been the worst franchise in the league during this span. You're talking about these franchises like Aaron is playing nothing but ring threats every year. It's hogwash.

Furthermore, games against division opponents compose 6 of 16 games every season, so it's only about 1/3 of the regular season, but you also can't overlook the comparative effect. The AFC East above has had to cope with Brady, not Rodgers, for these 17 seasons, and that greatly affects their record (34 of the 270 games for each team listed here is against Green Bay or New England, respectively, when the latter has been the more dominant team due to Brady). If I had an appetite for tedium at the moment I would go through and subtract all the games against New England and Green Bay, respectively. The records here be that much closer to equal.

Stop blaming Aaron's division for his inability to be the best in the NFL. Tom laughs. He doesn't care what division it is: he would have dominated either of these in the same fashion. That's why he's at the Super Bowl every third year. Doesn't matter who he plays, or where he's coming from.

You didn't cite any stats to substantiate Brady's rich history of defenses, but more importantly, you ignored a critical dynamic. Teams have a limited amount of resources: money for salary and draft picks. If a team spends those resources on defenses, then they don't have them to spend on offense. This is why Brady has been making more with less for so long on the offensive end. He also hasn't sucked up the contracts that Rodgers has sucked up. So you don't get to talk about team defense like it's an achievement that lives in a vacuum. Furthermore, Aaron doesn't play on that side of the ball. So how about offense? Using the Offense Simple Rating System, an advanced team metric which measures a team's overall offensive output relative to the average team in the league (avg= 0.0). We won't dance around the half seasons Rodgers had in 2017 & 2013.

Offense Simple Rating System

Brady (2001-2018, 2008): 6.46 avg
Rodgers (2008-2018): 4.08 avg

The gap would be bigger if Tom hadn't been hurt in 2008. How do I know? Well, that godly team, the previous season in 2007, notched a 15.9 OSRS with Brady at the wheel: the highest ever recorded by miles (Rodger's highest ever was 11.5 in 2011). The following season, under the leadership of Cassel, who Brady salt shakers everywhere insist could slip into his jock without rustling a feather of fate, that nearly identical roster notched a 2.3 OSRS.

Brady is GOAT, in his own class, and let's stop wasting time by comparing 2nd tier QBs to him. Rodgers is more appropriately compared to Brees, Manning, maybe the upcoming Mahomes, and the other also-rans who can only hope to grab a broom and jab it against the ceiling of Brady's penthouse while shouting at him to keep the noise down. Gronk won't oblige.

Who left the Patriots and been successful? Literally everyone.
lol like who? Deion Branch? The receiver that has had the most success post-Brady might be Benjamin Watson unless you count the one year rental of Brandon Cooks (and the jury is still out on him).

It's pretty hard to argue that Brady or Rodgers don't make their players better because none of their targets have been able to carry over their success to their new teams; not sure how this is seriously still being argued lol

Brady is the greatest defensive quarterback of all time.

“In seasons where the Patriots went on to win the Super Bowl, they have had a top-10 defense every time. In his 16 seasons as a starting quarterback, Brady has played with a top-15 defense 13 times.”

“Only three times in those 16 years has the Patriots scoring defense ranked outside the league's 10 best. Twice the Patriots allowed the fewest points in the NFL's regular season; they won Super Bowls after both of those regular seasons (2003 and 2016). Twice the Patriots allowed the second-fewest points in the league; they won a Super Bowl after one of those seasons (2004). A Patriots defense has never allowed more than 21.6 points per game over a regular season since 2002, the year after their first Super Bowl in the Belichick era; just this season, more than half of NFL team defenses allowed more points than the worst Patriots scoring defense in 17 seasons.”

“Rodgers, has been given a top-15 defense in five of his ten seasons. Rodgers has had a top-10 defense only twice and the only time he has had a top-five defense, Green Bay won the Super Bowl.”

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...of-patriots-run-as-all-time-greatest-dynasty/

The "win-after-a-bye" rate is certainly an objective stat, but it doesn't tell us much. The reason is you haven't provided any regression analysis controlling for record. Those teams with a bye enjoy a stronger average record, so they are already less likely to win. That's like pointing to the fact teams with a stronger home seed in the NBA playoffs (#1-#4) have a higher win percentage in the NBA playoffs. Of course they do! They earned one of the top four seeds. It's not a coincidence that these teams secured this. They're the better teams.

Start with Brady's sophomore season in 2001, since he only played a single game as a rookie (few rookies play), and leaving out 2008 since that was the year he was injured, here are the regular season records for the teams you mentioned-- since I noticed you didn't want to talk about the Lions, but you did want to talk about this year's defenses for these two teams as if they reflect overall divisional quality for the past two decades:

NFC North
  • Minnesota Vikings: 145-125-2 (53.7% win percentage= 8.6 wins avg per season, or staggered 8-8 and 9-7 seasons)
  • Chicago Bears: 135-135-0 (50.0% win percentage = 8.0 wins avg per season, or 8-8 seasons)
  • Detroit Lions: 104-166-0 (38.5% win percentage = 6.2 wins avg per season, or ~6-10 seasons)
AFC East
  • New York Jets: 123-147-0 (45.6% win percentage = 7.3 wins avg per season, or ~7-9 seasons)
  • Miami Dolphins: 121-149-0 (44.8% win percentage = 7.2 wins avg per season, or ~7-9 seasons)
  • Buffalo Bills: 112-258-0 (41.5% win percentage = 6.6 wins avg per season, or staggered 6-10 and 7-9 seasons)

Notice how these things stabilize over time? Unless I'm mistaken, the Detroit Lions have been the worst franchise in the league during this span. You're talking about these franchises like Aaron is playing nothing but ring threats every year. It's hogwash.

Furthermore, games against division opponents compose 6 of 16 games every season, so it's only about 1/3 of the regular season, but you also can't overlook the comparative effect. The AFC East above has had to cope with Brady, not Rodgers, for these 17 seasons, and that greatly affects their record (34 of the 270 games for each team listed here is against Green Bay or New England, respectively, when the latter has been the more dominant team due to Brady). If I had an appetite for tedium at the moment I would go through and subtract all the games against New England and Green Bay, respectively. The records here be that much closer to equal.

Stop blaming Aaron's division for his inability to be the best in the NFL. Tom laughs. He doesn't care what division it is: he would have dominated either of these in the same fashion. That's why he's at the Super Bowl every third year. Doesn't matter who he plays, or where he's coming from.

You didn't cite any stats to substantiate Brady's rich history of defenses, but more importantly, you ignored a critical dynamic. Teams have a limited amount of resources: money for salary and draft picks. If a team spends those resources on defenses, then they don't have them to spend on offense. This is why Brady has been making more with less for so long on the offensive end. He also hasn't sucked up the contracts that Rodgers has sucked up. So you don't get to talk about team defense like it's an achievement that lives in a vacuum. Furthermore, Aaron doesn't play on that side of the ball. So how about offense? Using the Offense Simple Rating System, an advanced team metric which measures a team's overall offensive output relative to the average team in the league (avg= 0.0). We won't dance around the half seasons Rodgers had in 2017 & 2013.

Offense Simple Rating System

Brady (2001-2018, 2008): 6.46 avg
Rodgers (2008-2018): 4.08 avg

The gap would be bigger if Tom hadn't been hurt in 2008. How do I know? Well, that godly team, the previous season in 2007, notched a 15.9 OSRS with Brady at the wheel: the highest ever recorded by miles (Rodger's highest ever was 11.5 in 2011). The following season, under the leadership of Cassel, who Brady salt shakers everywhere insist could slip into his jock without rustling a feather of fate, that nearly identical roster notched a 2.3 OSRS.

Brady is GOAT, in his own class, and let's stop wasting time by comparing 2nd tier QBs to him. Rodgers is more appropriately compared to Brees, Manning, maybe the upcoming Mahomes, and the other also-rans who can't only hope to grab a broom and jab it against the ceiling of Brady's penthouse while shouting at him to keep the noise down. Gronk won't oblige.

So the NFC North is better than the weak ass AFC East and Rodgers faced better teams more consistently? Those 6/16 games are literally what teams build around because they are necessary to make the playoffs. Those teams in the AFC East havent had a franchise QB, or even a good starting QB in the literal entirety of Bradys career. Also Brady's contracts weren't loss of money they were filled with incentives. They still got talent they wanted. I also said that Ted Thompson and the Green Bay Packers were a horrible front office. The only reason they are considered decent is because they got Aaron Rodgers who fucking dropped to them when every other team was trying to develop QB's who failed. The Packers have had some of the worst drafts and front office decisions in the league and they've been bailed out by 2 HoF QBs.

Lastly, Brees and Manning are also better than Tom Brady. I can't remember the article but it was between Brady and Manning on defenses holding wins and Bradys defenses held onto significantly more leads than Mannings in the 4th quarter. Dude has straight up had better teams and better coaching.

So the NFC North is better than the weak ass AFC East and Rodgers faced better teams more consistently? Those 6/16 games are literally what teams build around because they are necessary to make the playoffs.

Those teams in the AFC East havent had a franchise QB, or even a good starting QB in the literal entirety of Bradys career. Also Brady's contracts weren't loss of money they were filled with incentives. They still got talent they wanted. I also said that Ted Thompson and the Green Bay Packers were a horrible front office. The only reason they are considered decent is because they got Aaron Rodgers who fucking dropped to them when every other team was trying to develop QB's who failed. The Packers have had some of the worst drafts and front office decisions in the league and they've been bailed out by 2 HoF QBs.

Lastly, Brees and Manning are also better than Tom Brady. I can't remember the article but it was between Brady and Manning on defenses holding wins and Bradys defenses held onto significantly more leads than Mannings in the 4th quarter. Dude has straight up had better teams and better coaching.
Mind-numbing. No, teams build themselves around a 16-game season because that's how they get to the playoffs. The playoffs aren't determined by who has the best 6-game record within their division. This is an "objective fact that has to be acknowledged".

Again, the NFC North is a paltry 28 wins better than the AFC East across these 810 games of Brady's career. That's without adjustment eliminating their respective games against the Patriots (who hold the most dominant record in the NFL during this span) and Green Bay Packers (who don't). You're going to have to find a new refuge. That one got bunker busted.

Aaron has had a franchise with every draft, trade, and contract hand-picked to build around him. Still can't match Tom's offensive output as I just irrefutably demonstrated, statistically.

If Rodgers had played in New England during these years they'd be a successful but forgettable franchise of the era-- just like his own. They would be lucky to have seen 7x AFC Championship games. Maybe he'd have a whole two rings instead of one.

Heavy is the hand that wears the crown.

tenor.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back