I have a solution for the battle between the moderate and progressive wing of the Democratic party.

I don't trust Buttigieg either. He's on record for packing the Supreme Court and at least some form of Govt. takeover of our Health Care. He used to be all in on Govt. HC but realized it was more electable to say "medicare for all who need it". I just find that hard to believe. and I can't get behind anyone who thinks the Govt. is capable of running HC without corrupting it beyond recognition.

Quite honestly, I just wish we could go back to the HC we had before Obamacare came along and start over from there. I was paying $400.00 a month and getting great coverage. It's SO fucked up now I really can't even say I HAVE HC now even though I'm paying $3k a month for it.

My deductible is $12k. No way we'll ever cover that. We basically pay cash for everything. My last trip to the ER for my back cost me $4k So now I get the privilage of paying $3K a month for other people's kids to have Insurance while mine go without. No Thanks. :(

I gotta ask, how is Canadian health care "corrupted by the government" ?

Not trolling, legit question.

The way I see it, if America let the shit holes of the world sort themselves out, secured their borders, and properly vetted immigrants, you would have a lot of money to spend on free healthcare for everyone, like in Canada.

20 years or so in Iraq and Afghanistan for what ?

I gotta ask, how is Canadian health care "corrupted by the government" ?

Not trolling, legit question.

The way I see it, if America let the shit holes of the world sort themselves out, secured their borders, and properly vetted immigrants, you would have a lot of money to spend on free healthcare for everyone, like in Canada.

20 years or so in Iraq and Afghanistan for what ?
I said OUR Govt. I don't know much about Canada but the Govt. here fucks up everything they touch. ;)

Who said I make $1,000,000/year? News to me. If I had that kind of money I suppose I wouldn't care what my HC cost. ;)
Medicare For All is paid with a 4% flat tax

No copays, no deductibles

Also, you would care if you/wife/kids god forbid developed cancer or a life threatening illness/injury.

My uncle was a successful contractor, my aunt got cancer and it wiped them out. They were what I thought was well off but after $1M+ in medical bills....

You just answered a question I didn't ask.... Are you under the mistaken impression that I'm from Canada? That's not me. That's another guy. ;)

Also, you would care if you/wife/kids god forbid developed cancer or a life threatening illness/injury.

My uncle was a successful contractor, my aunt got cancer and it wiped them out. They were what I thought was well off but after $1M+ in medical bills....

Unless the Dem nominee pledges to fully support significantly lowering what people have to spend on healthcare OOP I'll pass on him or her.

Same happened to my family. Dad had union insurance and mom had insurance through her work at a hospital. She got cancer and they were bankrupted. Bankrupted and lost our home with double insurance and while she was battling nearly fatal cancer.

This nearly broke our family and it is just wrong.

Same happened to my family. Dad had union insurance and mom had insurance through her work at a hospital. She got cancer and they were bankrupted. Bankrupted and lost our home with double insurance and while she was battling nearly fatal cancer.

Horrible man

My story is a bit different in that my dad went from having an excellent union job that allowed our family to thrive on a single income, to a Reagan then Bush then Clinton administration that rapidly promoted outsourcing and pitted foreign workers against American workers like my dad. We went from comfortably middle class on a single salary to struggling to make ends meet within a decade. Stress mounted and from there it led to a divorce and pretty much a major fracture within my immediate family. My mom was forced to go to work and us kids ending up raising ourselves.

Capitalism is not conducive to traditional family values. I have to say that if I'm thankful for anything from my childhood it is that it dispelled the Utopian idea of American exceptionalism and the American dream. It's not a real thing for anything other than pure luck.

Horrible man

My story is a bit different in that my dad went from having an excellent union job that allowed our family to thrive on a single income, to a Reagan then Bush then Clinton administration that rapidly promoted outsourcing and pitted foreign workers against American workers like my dad. We went from comfortably middle class on a single salary to struggling to make ends meet within a decade. Stress mounted and from there it led to a divorce and pretty much a major fracture within my immediate family. My mom was forced to go to work and us kids ending up raising ourselves.

Capitalism is not conducive to traditional family values. I have to say that if I'm thankful for anything from my childhood it is that it dispelled the Utopian idea of American exceptionalism and the American dream. It's not a real thing for anything other than pure luck.

I hear you completely and I love the framing of this issue tied to family values because that is at bottom by far the best argument I have heard for it and honestly it is what eats at me on a daily basis.

We have enough and have insurance but the thought of families out there struggling just to get by with no time for kids and family and love is heartbreaking.

We are not consumers.

You just answered a question I didn't ask.... Are you under the mistaken impression that I'm from Canada? That's not me. That's another guy. ;)
You talked about having to pay up to $12k OOP

There is a solution on the table right now to drop that down to 4% of your income and it's called Medicare For All.

U7RXdeIVDTz7h1XPq-AjHldFh9hiPR-H7CzkfybbDu8.png

As someone who works in healthcare billing I'm attuned to how awful the way our country pays for healthcare is. I witness it five days a week. Many (most?) people simply do not budget for thousands of dollars in healthcare bills. The spirit of insurance is to protect people from financial calamity. Leaving people responsible for anywhere near a fifth of median income in OOP charges (which, remember, is on top of their premiums) and calling it insurance is practically consumer fraud AFAIC.

You talked about having to pay up to $12k OOP

There is a solution on the table right now to drop that down to 4% of your income and it's called Medicare For All.

U7RXdeIVDTz7h1XPq-AjHldFh9hiPR-H7CzkfybbDu8.png
They lie. It will never be that cheap and let's get real, that's still pretty damn expensive compared to the excellent insurance we used to have before Obamacare and the quality of care will plummet. Every single year it will be on the Ballot for MORE taxes just like we do with our Public Schools and nothing will improve. On top of that It will likely destroy the salaries of every person employed in the Medical industry (my daughter will be one of them). Our Politicians are corrupt and they are liars and idiots. No way I turn over HC to them if I can help it.

The Solution: Feed them all to hungry tigers that have just been kicked in the balls.

I hear you completely and I love the framing of this issue tied to family values because that is at bottom by far the best argument I have heard for it and honestly it is what eats at me on a daily basis.

We have enough and have insurance but the thought of families out there struggling just to get by with no time for kids and family and love is heartbreaking.

We are not consumers.
Yeah this is the stuff that inspires me to be politically active.

Current situation for us is that I work 6 days/60+ hours a week and my wife stays home with the kids/is back in school. We get by but it's certainly not easy given half the week I don't get home until well after my kids are asleep. People can say what they want about California but it's maybe the only state(MA too?) that pays for families like mine to have health insurance so while Medicare For All won't help me personally and I'll actually be given an additional tax to pay, I know that it will help millions of Americans get the coverage they need.

They lie. It will never be that cheap and let's get real, that's still pretty damn expensive compared to the excellent insurance we used to have before Obamacare and the quality of care will plummet. Every single year it will be on the Ballot for MORE taxes just like we do with our Public Schools and nothing will improve. On top of that It will likely destroy the salaries of every person employed in the Medical industry (my daughter will be one of them). Our Politicians are corrupt and they are liars and idiots. No way I turn over HC to them if I can help it.
Well I'm sorry your daughter will lose a job in an industry that profits off the health of Americans, but in an America with Medicare For All we will also have College For All so your daughter can go back to school and you don't have to worry night and day how you/her will pay for it. We bailed out Wall Street in 2008, so now they pay for Americans like your daughter to go to school.

Don't be so cynical. Have some hope for the future and we can make actual changes.

Well I'm sorry your daughter will lose a job in an industry that profits off the health of Americans, but in an America with Medicare For All we will also have College For All so your daughter can go back to school and you don't have to worry night and day how you/her will pay for it. We bailed out Wall Street in 2008, so now they pay for Americans like your daughter to go to school.

Don't be so cynical. Have some hope for the future and we can make actual changes.
I do have hope for the future and I don't worry about how I'm going to pay for College. I started saving for it when my kids were babies. You know.. like a responsible Adult.

Thankfully the Democrats are unelectable, as is Government controlled HC. It's not going to happen and all you're doing is guaranteeing that Trump gets re-elected.

Back