I had my match with team beast black belt, Finally

however it's good that he is at least willing to go and have a try and risk losing against lower grades and it shows great sportsmanship for him to lose gracefully

I was thinking the same thing.

Sooo......

1. How did the fight get to the ground to begin with? Video starts out with him in your guard.

2. What was your gameplan coming into this match?

3. You had the underhook in half guard for awhile, im wondering why you didn't scoot out and take the back.

4. You didn't seem to create many scrambles, i would think creating scrambles againts someone big and slow like that would be in your interest.

1. Have a better video, I'll put up soon. He tripped me. It wasn't one of my best showings. I was think about Plan B takedown and he tripped me down.
2. I was looking for the choke. I though he would be more agressive in his attacks and he would fall into some traps I use in training. But, when he didn't really try to pass the guard and only defended inside my guard, I knew I would have to wait for a mistake.
3-4. The weight he had on me and the fatigue from the matches throughout the day made me less "energetic" than usual. His weight , strength and size were really new to me. I loved it. The challenge was awesome and makes me grow as a purple belt.
I hope we meet again. I really needed to trust my open guard more.

1. Have a better video, I'll put up soon. He tripped me. It wasn't one of my best showings. I was think about Plan B takedown and he tripped me down.
2. I was looking for the choke. I though he would be more agressive in his attacks and he would fall into some traps I use in training. But, when he didn't really try to pass the guard and only defended inside my guard, I knew I would have to wait for a mistake.
3-4. The weight he had on me and the fatigue from the matches throughout the day made me less "energetic" than usual. His weight , strength and size were really new to me. I loved it. The challenge was awesome and makes me grow as a purple belt.
I hope we meet again. I really needed to trust my open guard more.

Thanks for the answers man. Great match! I also couldn't believe he the BB wasn't trying to open your guard......... I can see how his "inactivity" could change and slow your game down.

Boisefireman is the real deal. I train at a different school on the other side of town, but I'm happy to say that Matt represents this area in a manner which few do. I'd be honored to be able to roll with the guy, should the situation present itself.

Boisefireman is the real deal. I train at a different school on the other side of town, but I'm happy to say that Matt represents this area in a manner which few do. I'd be honored to be able to roll with the guy, should the situation present itself.

OMG!!!!!!!!!:eek: Did you guys just hear this 4 post white belt challenge Boisefireman to a fight right here on Sherdog!?!?!?!?!?!?

Fight!

Fight!

Fight!!

Kumite!

Kumite!

kumite!!

:icon_neut

OMG!!!!!!!!!:eek: Did you guys just hear this 4 post white belt challenge Boisefireman to a fight right here on Sherdog!?!?!?!?!?!?

Fight!

Fight!

Fight!!

Kumite!

Kumite!

kumite!!

:icon_neut

Hehe :) Matt is a great guy and would tie me up into knots (I'm also only a white belt in BJJ), but it would be a load of fun to roll with the man, along with being an awesome learning experience. I walk around at about 6'4" 270-275lb, so I'm a bit bigger than him, but that won't make a difference. I'll still get schooled.

hehe :) matt is a great guy and would tie me up into knots (i'm also only a white belt in bjj), but it would be a load of fun to roll with the man, along with being an awesome learning experience. I walk around at about 6'4" 270-275lb, so i'm a bit bigger than him, but that won't make a difference. I'll still get schooled.

it"s on!!!!

it"s on!!!!

You'll crush me mercilessly on the mats, but I'm always up for a fun roll! I spoke with you at the NWSC, said that you beating Ricky made my day. The least I can do is play practice dummy for you.

I train under Mitch at Alliance (obviously) and I dont have a lot of free time, but I'd love to get together for some rolling sometime. I may get owned badly, but I'll be that much smarter afterwards. We'll just have to hammer out a location in the future, hopefully prior to the next NWSC in April!

Congratulations on the win.

As far as the Checkmat affiliation, I'll pass the word on to a couple guys at the gym and see what they say.

seems these guys are on the UG's shit list now after they successfully busted the douche claiming a bb under wallid.

the black guy who was a BB when he fought boise, is now claiming to be a blue belt (pic on link)

and it seems like one of the vieiras were there for a seminar

MMA Underground Forums

I'd say the guy doesn't look like a 14-year black belt and just from my experience, here's why:
1. You benched him off you to mount. Maybe he might have some skills, but he has really crappy base for being so large.
2. He was very hesitant in passing. I don't think I've rolled with a BB that passing didn't come second nature.
3. He got armbarred in the guard.

I think you did an excellent job and were very resilient against a large dude. You did a great job of demonstrating your own skills and level. I think his lack of athleticism and awkwardness, along with his timidness made whatever skills he might have look sort of bad. I'm larger as well and when I go with somebody that is considerably larger, it's sort of the unknown abyss, so I'm a little hesitant about playing open guard and I'm concerned about getting a huge dude off me if I get passed. I'm also a little older so I understand after a couple matches, the fuel tanks aren't on "F". Not an excuse like you said, but a reason things aren't paced the same as a fresh match.

The big guy Ricky in the vids should be left out of these discussions.

He's not a BB under Matt (the "fake" BB in question), nor does he claim to be a student of Matt's - He just trains at the same location.

I have talked to Ricky occassions and, initially, he wasn't even aware of the controversy surrounding Matt. After I let him in on the dl, he confronted Matt and asked him to stick up for himself. Currently, Matt still hasn't done anything. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of comps in Boise for him to compete, but maybe one day he'll make an appearance and roll.

I also believe that Ricky is looking for somewhere else to train - The result of wanting to get away from the bullshit surrounding Barvo and also to look for a more MMA oriented camp as he'd like to fight again before he gets too old. (Ricky is ~40)

The big guy Ricky in the vids should be left out of these discussions.

He's not a BB under Matt (the "fake" BB in question), nor does he claim to be a student of Matt's - He just trains at the same location.

I have talked to Ricky occassions and, initially, he wasn't even aware of the controversy surrounding Matt. After I let him in on the dl, he confronted Matt and asked him to stick up for himself. Currently, Matt still hasn't done anything. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of comps in Boise for him to compete, but maybe one day he'll make an appearance and roll.

I also believe that Ricky is looking for somewhere else to train - The result of wanting to get away from the bullshit surrounding Barvo and also to look for a more MMA oriented camp as he'd like to fight again before he gets too old. (Ricky is ~40)

ok, so this black guy is not ricky?
Ranked Students - Team Beast - Idaho's Best BJJ

and he was not wearing a black belt in the video and now wearing a blue belt in this pic on team beast ranked students?

I think it's a blue belt, it's just a dark shade of blue. Might be an Ouano. Says he's a blue belt on the website. Somebody else probably runs the website though and it's an error that should be corrected. The owner probably has no idea.

Ricky does seem like he's 40-45 years old. He doesn't move like a spring chicken.

ok, so this black guy is not ricky?
Ranked Students - Team Beast - Idaho's Best BJJ

and he was not wearing a black belt in the video and now wearing a blue belt in this pic on team beast ranked students?

No,that's definitely Ricky.

I just checked that site, was not all that surprised to see him sporting the Blue belt. Good on him. He said to me that he was shocked by all the hoopla. His game was largely built on top control (imagine that) and after a while, recv'd his BB (idk from who). He didn't care too much about the belt itself, but just was really put off by all the criticism towards him when he wasn't selling himself as anyone special. Although Matt was using his name.

He was more interested in training and having fun and would gladly "give up" his belt if it meant people would chill out. You can tell from his vid with BoiseFireman that, even if he's not BB caliber necessarily, he's willing to put it on the line and compete. That's props to him. Certainly shows that he's not trying to hide anything.

so this guy is now affiliated with leandro viera and checkmat? whats the story with that?

No,that's definitely Ricky.

I just checked that site, was not all that surprised to see him sporting the Blue belt. Good on him. He said to me that he was shocked by all the hoopla. His game was largely built on top control (imagine that) and after a while, recv'd his BB (idk from who). He didn't care too much about the belt itself, but just was really put off by all the criticism towards him when he wasn't selling himself as anyone special. Although Matt was using his name.

He was more interested in training and having fun and would gladly "give up" his belt if it meant people would chill out. You can tell from his vid with BoiseFireman that, even if he's not BB caliber necessarily, he's willing to put it on the line and compete. That's props to him. Certainly shows that he's not trying to hide anything.

I somewhat agree. Good for him for being real but he had to know what a black belt means. Right?

I somewhat agree. Good for him for being real but he had to know what a black belt means. Right?

Who knows. There was a thread about SCARS, San shoo, etc...THose guys have to know it's bullshit, right?

Ricky travelled all over playing pro basketball (not nba, but the minor leagues) and was smart enought to experience some cool stuff. I imagine, this same guy, in his peak physical shape would be considerably tougher. Maybe even tough enough that some coach thought it was a good idea to give him a BB. Who knows. Without a ton of experience or a great understanding of the art, or hell, even just a young guy excited to be recognized and promoted, maybe he took the belt without a 2nd thought.

Again, who knows.

Back