I had my match with team beast black belt, Finally

I agree.

The way I see it...if some dude wants to walk around his little town in a black belt and say he is a black belt...he is just a douchebag liar..nothing more.

But once he starts charging students money to train with a "black belt", he is commiting fraud IMO.

The customer is not getting what they are paying for, what has been represented, and that is fraud. However, any court you bring this too would be uninterested I'm sure...and they wouldn't understand the intricacy and difference between what is being paid for and what was expected.

It's a shame that these individuals can continue unchecked.

It is a quagmire for sure because anybody could open a gym and call it submission wrestling, grappling or even MMA

but for a brand name like BJJ I think it is the equivilant of saying you are a doctor

Should be regulated more because there is an insurance side to this or more economic like banks loaning money for a gym opening

Maybe BB shouldn't just be handed out by the instructor, have the instructor sponsor them and the IBJJF or something has got to evalutate them, or a victory in a sanctioned brown/black belt level comp

I must of missed that your son got a purple belt? Sounds like he is doing well too. I remember you posting him doing a flying armbar instructional or something. How old is he now?

This fraud stuff is hilarious to me.

I'm sorry, but 'legit' belts is so just insane. If you say you're a black belt under Marcelo Garcia, then yeah it means something.

But there is no such thing as a a legit blue, purple, brown, black, etc. I'm sorry, there just isn't a standard.

I just thought this whole thing where Boise calls out some 'black belt' is just silly. I mean cares, the guy probably did japanese jiu jitsu in '96. It not like he's selling a DVD or making bogus affiliations. He's not hurting you by living in fantasy land.

He's hurting his current students though. Wear a bb I don't give a shit, but don't open a school under the premise you are a Bjj blackbelt and mislead your students

Maybe BB shouldn't just be handed out by the instructor, have the instructor sponsor them and the IBJJF or something has got to evalutate them, or a victory in a sanctioned brown/black belt level comp

I guess it is about the customers ensuring that they check out the lineage of potential instructors.

Of course, they are a downfall to such thing.

You can meet an instructor that got his BB in Brasil that no one heard of outside Brasil. i.e my grandmaster used to teach privates for the Gracie Family but no one ever heard of him outside of Brasil. In Brasil, he is famous.

The IBJJF! well there are at least another 5 federation of BJJ in Brasil apart the IBJJF. Not everyone is affiliated under Carlos Gracie Jnr.

vicotry in comp: same problem...not everyone is participating in BJJF comps.

If the guy has good skills and is a good teacher I think everything is fine. I looked at the website and it looks like enrollment is very cheap. So it's not like they're playing this off as some sort of top-notch school.

Obviously, if the guy has no idea what he is doing and is teaching people shitty stuff then there would be a problem.

I think that the only way to really figure out if this place is legit or not is to have someone from the grappling forum or from TS's school enroll for a week or two and see if he's teaching shit or not.

I'm sorry, but 'legit' belts is so just insane. If you say you're a black belt under Marcelo Garcia, then yeah it means something.

But there is no such thing as a a legit blue, purple, brown, black, etc. I'm sorry, there just isn't a standard.

I just thought this whole thing where Boise calls out some 'black belt' is just silly. I mean cares, the guy probably did japanese jiu jitsu in '96. It not like he's selling a DVD or making bogus affiliations. He's not hurting you by living in fantasy land.

It is unethical at the least and fraudulent at the most of anyone to open a school purporting to be a BJJ black belt when they aren't. People don't just do BJJ for fitness and as a hobby, some people also learn BJJ for self defense and in those cases learning from a fraud would be very detrimental.

Secondly there is a standard for BJJ belts and the standard is simply this:

Your belt level is at the sole discretion of the head instructor of your academy. If your instructor is legit and says you are a blue, purple, brown, black then that is what you are. The standard of course leaves a lot of discretion to the head instructor but this also makes the lineage of your belt that much more important.

It's really the lineage of your instructor's belt that determines the legitimacy of yours.

As far as your defense that Ricky Robinson possibly did Japanese Ju Jitsu in 1996 that's a load of BS. If he has a black belt in JJJ then fine - go teach JJJ, but his school is named "Team Beast Brazilian Jiu Jitsu" and when people join they're going to assume (wrongly) that he's a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Like I said, at the very least it's unethical at the most it's fraudulent.

yeah what is up with the stereotype of the US being litigation heavy? people should sue him

This isn't Catch Wrestling. BJJ'ers actually care about lineage and the integrity of the art. And to say there isn't a set standard is absolutely false. If that was the case, tournaments wouldn't make sense... Promoting at all wouldn't make sense. But you know this and just trolling or just really clueless.

Ricky began his Martial Arts training over 20 years ago, and has trained and competed all over the world, including the USA, Japan, Poland, Holland, and Australia. Ricky earned a Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in July of 1996, is a Black Belt in Pancrase, and is a Muay Thai Kru. Ricky is an Undefeated Mixed Martial Artist, with an impressive combined amateur and professional record of 9-0. He is a Champion Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu competitor with several notable wins over Grappler's Quest and Naga champions. Ricky is a former NBA and Pro Basketball Player

Ricky - Team Beast - Idaho's Best BJJ

This isn't Catch Wrestling. BJJ'ers actually care about lineage and the integrity of the art. And to say there isn't a set standard is absolutely false. If that was the case, tournaments wouldn't make sense... Promoting at all wouldn't make sense. But you know this and just trolling or just really clueless.

Have you gotten the chance to train at a wide range of schools? The variety is ridiculous and I think to draw a line is crazy. That is all.

Have you gotten the chance to train at a wide range of schools? The variety is ridiculous and I think to draw a line is crazy. That is all.

I've trained at multiple schools from Biloxi, MS to St. Louis, MO. I agree with you. The talent varies greatly. That's not to say there aren't standards, though. For example most legit blue belts understand standing over your opponent with arms extended isn't fundamentally sound. It doesn't matter if that legit blue belt has a competition record of 0-45 or 45-0, he/she understands and practices the fundamentals that lead him/her to being promoted.

do you really not recognize the problem with someone fabricating a story about earning a BJJ black belt and promoting himself as such for profit?

this is not simply saying that one black belt is more legitimate than another. this is saying that one black belt is earned and the other is invented.

I guess it is about the customers ensuring that they check out the lineage of potential instructors.

Of course, they are a downfall to such thing.

You can meet an instructor that got his BB in Brasil that no one heard of outside Brasil. i.e my grandmaster used to teach privates for the Gracie Family but no one ever heard of him outside of Brasil. In Brasil, he is famous.

The IBJJF! well there are at least another 5 federation of BJJ in Brasil apart the IBJJF. Not everyone is affiliated under Carlos Gracie Jnr.

vicotry in comp: same problem...not everyone is participating in BJJF comps.

sent email to fightzoneusa, hopefully they reply.

i don't give a shit how many BBs there are in a state, that does not mean shit. A BB must give you a BB. if you are a BB it meant that some other BB thought you have BB skills.

that is what is cool about bjj. basically, you have the gracies and almost everyone is descendant from them. so you can trace lineage where a BB awarded someone else a BB and so on.

now, if someone gives himself a BB in BJJ and then that guy is a fake BB and then his BBs are fake and so on.

now, if enough people do that guees what? you have a lot harder time finding out who is legit and people will get ripped off.

sorry dude, but saying you don't care about fake BJJ BBs is such a douchebag thing to say if you do train BJJ.

it is called fucking standards.

sent email to fightzoneusa, hopefully they reply.

Leandro Vieira gave a seminar at Team Beast in late May. In the Bullshido thread, there was already mention of the seminar before it happened. Leandro and Leo were both contacted because, in an email with one of the Bullshido staff, Matt stated that he was going to be training under Leandro and Leo and become a Checkmat affiliate. The staff just wanted to confirm that Matt was telling the truth.

One thing interesting to note is that Leo was scheduled to give a seminar later in the summer but that was cancelled outright after the email exchange with Leandro and Leo. We don't know the circumstances about the cancellation.

Since Leandro was at Team Best for a seminar, the Checkmat affiliation doesn't come out of the blue, but it is still strange seeing as how Matt does not have a verifiable lineage or competition record. All of his training claims have been refuted, even to the point of contacting Gracie Humaita to check whether or not a person (Matt's claimed instructor) exists. He didn't exist.

I was not aware that paying somebody to do a seminar means you automatically become an affiliate school.

Sooo......

1. How did the fight get to the ground to begin with? Video starts out with him in your guard.

2. What was your gameplan coming into this match?

3. You had the underhook in half guard for awhile, im wondering why you didn't scoot out and take the back.

4. You didn't seem to create many scrambles, i would think creating scrambles againts someone big and slow like that would be in your interest.

Looked like he relied a lot on his weight and strength. You looked WAY more technical and the sweep to mount at 6:00 was great. Were you not supposed to get points for that? I dunno - I don't think the ref awarded anything.... still - that might not be part of the rules.

Yeah - flying armbar might have been something to perfect at training first... Ah well - it didn't lose you the match so all is good.

Good win. "doubtful" skill level on the BB, in all honesty I saw nothing a low-level blue couldn't do - however it's good that he is at least willing to go and have a try and risk losing against lower grades and it shows great sportsmanship for him to lose gracefully - that alone makes me want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

'grats to you and your boy!!

Back