I had my match with team beast black belt, Finally

boisefireman

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I went to the Northwest Submission Challenge yesterday in Boise Idaho. This one was no time limits, no points, win by submission only.
I entered 4 division; Advanced No gi super heavy ( got gold with a heel hook from 50/50), No gi advanced absolute ( gold, fought my son in finals, rolling knee bar.), Gi advanced, which is purple, brown and black absolute ( gold, again my son in finals, we played around and had fun just rolling), and finally gi advanced super heavy weight. I had one match, with a guy from Team Beast who wears a black belt.

This was the match I had been waiting for for awhile. If you guys arent up to speed here is a couple of links to the controversy
Who is Matt Barvo BJJ Black Belt in Idaho? - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/matt-barvo-team-beast-bjj-idaho-1203969/

Here is their website
Team Beast - Idaho's Best BJJ - Home

A little back ground I'm 42, 6'4" have trained for 4.5 years and got my purple in february. I weighed in at 230

I went against Ricky Robinson 6'8 weighed in at 305. Website says he got his Black Belt in 1996 Never have talked to the guy and from what I saw and heard of him he is one nice guy and a gentlemen.

I had gone 3 matches so far that day and he only did the one match. Just back ground not an excuse.

This video was taken by a friend there and the guy yelling is Matt Barvo, TeamBeast leader( goes by Check Mat too, for all you Check Mat guys out there, you have an affiliate in Eagle Idaho now, I guess. Please confirm)

A little video break down​

I have a better copy coming with some voice over comments I make about myself. I was FAR from perfect.
1. I messed with his gi way too much (its what I had been working on and got stuck in a pattern.)
2. My arms get in some dangerous spot. I could have been threatened with an arm triangle a couple of times.
3. Cardio was down. The earlier matches and the fact that this guy was the biggest and strongs dude I had ever gone with sucked some energy out on me.
4. Did have a great plan for a guy going total defense from inside my guard. You'll see every grip every move is just smashed down and then we start all over again.
5. Don't try a flying armbar 9:35 of the video. I just watched the Galvao instructional videos and it just popped in my head.
6. didn't have confidence in my open guard. Should have done it.

Positives: I never felt smashed or suffocated. I was really aware of his base and balance. the sweep at 6:03 was really effortless. And I played sitting guard for the first time and it wasn't a total wreck. I took the forearm smash to the throat and 305 crush down game plan and work with it and I felt I really could win if I took my time and didn't freak.

So that's it. You can post advice or questions. I'm at work so might not be able to respond right away. Last thing was Ricky was a very nice guy. Gentleman and we really didn't get to talk. It's a huge deal here about the lineage and as you can hear in the video, I had the whole gym behind me. It was nice. And mY son was the best coach I could of had. His advice during the match helped me get through it. That's him pacing in the back ground. Love him.
Matt Owen vs Ricky Robinson Northwest Submission Challenge 2010 Oct on Vimeo

You should have choked your son out... Just so he knows who's boss, haha.

Has anything been confirmed about Team Beast since that huge thread we had on here? I remember lots of accusations had been made but none were really confirmed.

PS: Congrats on the wins.

The guy's base seems garbage. I almost punched my screen when at like 3:30 you were trying to stand and he kind of grabbed you pushed you down with one hand and belly flopped into side mount. That sweep was nice.

You should have choked your son out... Just so he knows who's boss, haha.

Has anything been confirmed about Team Beast since that huge thread we had on here? I remember lots of accusations had been made but none were really confirmed.

PS: Congrats on the wins.

I don't know if anything will ever be confirmed. The check mate thing is weird( what happened to team Brasa?)
After my win, a guy came up to say good job. We got to talking and to find out he is a former student. He's bitter about the " shadiness" as he puts it. They used to be in a TKD gym and I think alot of the people there just joined or put their kids in not knowing. Also, the BSU 8 week class he taught last year got some college guys. I'm over it for the most part.
Why even say you got a black belt in 1996? That is the craziest.
The crappest thing i've be told is he cut and pasted stuff of of Keith Owen's website and used it on his. I haven't check it out yet. It will fade away until its dudes rolling in a garage.
People are too smart for tall tale. The internet is a beautiful thing when it comes to fact checking and networking to get the word out.

Last edited:
The guy's base seems garbage. I almost punched my screen when at like 3:30 you were trying to stand and he kind of grabbed you pushed you down with one hand and belly flopped into side mount. That sweep was nice.

He was STRONG. His grip was a vise. I admit I had a little trouble with his sheer size. I'm the biggest guy in our gym. So, Keith is the only big guy I get. I have a lot of work to do, but its moving forward.

I congratulated you on FB and in some other thread, but you're more likely to see it here: congrats! That dude looked ridiculously strong, and well, that's about it. It sucks that he's apparently a nice guy because he's evidently been duped into believing that belt on his waist means anything.

Tournaments like this might wake him up to that reality, you never know.

boisefireman,

Awesome win! Way to pace yourself for 10 minutes against a much larger guy.

Was Matt there as well?

Were there other Team Beast competitors?

Maybe update the bullshido thread with a post of your experience.

He was STRONG. His grip was a vise. I admit I had a little trouble with his sheer size. I'm the biggest guy in our gym. So, Keith is the only big guy I get. I have a lot of work to do, but its moving forward.

yeah he looked strong. i'm also 6 foot 230. My last gym there was a good well in his 300's that I would claw tooth and nail to keep from being on bottom. The guy you're rolling with sat too high in your guard

boisefireman,

Awesome win! Way to pace yourself for 10 minutes against a much larger guy.

Was Matt there as well?

Were there other Team Beast competitors?

Maybe update the bullshido thread with a post of your experience.

Matt Barvo is the guy yelling instruction and they had on other kid. Very athletic kid that got gold in no gi interm. I think, Young wrestler type. That was it.

lol @ that guy being a black belt.

Good match. Just to clarify though, that wasn't a sweep at 6:03 and you shouldn't be awarded any points for it. That was a reversal from side body. You should get 4 for the mount, but no points for the "sweep."

Seriously though, that guy was pretty horrible. If he wasn't so freaking big and obviously strong you would have made quicker work of him.

lol @ that guy being a black belt.

Good match. Just to clarify though, that wasn't a sweep at 6:03 and you shouldn't be awarded any points for it. That was a reversal from side body. You should get 4 for the mount, but no points for the "sweep."

Seriously though, that guy was pretty horrible. If he wasn't so freaking big and obviously strong you would have made quicker work of him.

You are correct, sir. I was using the term sweep loosely. Didin't matter, it was a no point, submission only tournament

Congrats, man. The support you had in that gym was crazy.

Hey, I can be found in the background of that video, too!

I second that, Matt had the full support of all but three people in that gym - those three being Ricky, Matt, and Levi (their blue belt guy). I've never seen that kind of support system come together in that manner - my school (Alliance), Keith Owen BJJ, Boise Jiu Jitsu, 10th Planet Spokane ... it was a united front, with all of us in Matt's corner.

On the plus side, their kid Levi seems to have some decent skill. He's got a bit of an attitude (as evidenced by some of his comments, typical kid I guess), but my belief is that his game is coming along nicely. I'd like to see this kid lose the attitude and get with a real instructor around here.

You are correct, sir. I was using the term sweep loosely. Didin't matter, it was a no point, submission only tournament

Hey Boise, Do you know that you are BAD ASS!!!

Freakin awesome, bro!

Are you going to do the no gi worlds?

Back