I had my match with team beast black belt, Finally

If Ricky can't come up with the info to defend his black belt ranking then it's bullshit, and properly belted people have the right to be angry with the guy.

Ricky didn't "claim" shit. He was handed a black belt. He fought black belt division at tournaments. Where's the fucking disconnect here for you?

:icon_neut Come on man. You can't be serious. Someone "handed him a BB" so that makes it o.k.?!?!?!?!?

If all is true than you are right, he isn't as bad as the others, but he is bad, ya dig?

If Ricky can't come up with the info to defend his black belt ranking then it's bullshit, and properly belted people have the right to be angry with the guy.

Sure, you have the right.

But back to my point, Ricky is small potatoes compared to what Matt Barvo, Dan Lang, and Ari Bolden are/were doing.

dvlkjnfbv;kjdfnb;djnfb;kdjnbdfkjbndfb

But back to my point, Ricky is small potatoes compared to what Matt Barvo, Dan Lang, and Ari Bolden are/were doing.

dvlkjnfbv;kjdfnb;djnfb;kdjnbdfkjbndfb

Is he still with Barvo? I could respect the fact that he gave up the fake BB for a Blue if wasn't for the fact that he say's "If i knew it was such a big deal i will give the belt up for those who are bugged by it" and then for him to except a blue from Barvo like that is legit.

He hasn't come out and said "yeah i made a mistake in claiming a BB". It just sounds like he is playing it off with a shrug and hoping it all goes away......

Once you cross into black belt territory it stops being "small potatoes" and starts being "crazy fuckin brazilians out to beat your ass".

:icon_neut Come on man. You can't be serious. Someone "handed him a BB" so that makes it o.k.?!?!?!?!?

If all is true than you are right, he isn't as bad as the others, but he is bad, ya dig?

No, I get it.

But what I am saying is there is a difference between what Ricky allegedly doing and what Matt Barvo is doing.

I'm not saying Rainbows and baby kittens for everyone. I'm not yelling to Leave Britney Alone! (sob sob)

I'm saying that one is defrauding people for monetary gain and popularity. While the other isn't. He's made no promotions of himself on the internet and quietly, for reasons known to him and Barvo, put on a blue belt instead. So why the fuck are we still talking about him? If he was wrong, he did what was right and stepped down.

The BJJ police are fucking ridiculous. This isn't an issue with a statement from the IBJJF. There aren't any BB instructors out there looking at this. This isn't even an issue in BOISE for fucks sake.

We have a Pedro Sauer affiliate (Keith Owens) and an Alliance affiliate (Mitch Coats) here and I can guarantee they aren't losing sleep about this.

Is part of me making excuses for Ricky because he's a nice guy? Certainly. I've met Matt several times as well and he's a real nice guy too, but I don't give any leeway to Matt because I see the two as VERY different.

Once you cross into black belt territory it stops being "small potatoes" and starts being "crazy fuckin brazilians out to beat your ass".

LOL...

Where are these Brazilians? See my point above. Nobody fucking cares except a handful of keyboard belts.

I think the big deal is that people who really love BJJ and don't want to see it turn into TKD take offense to anyone putting on fake belts no matter what color they are. The guy was wearing a black belt; assuming Barvo is a fake and gave it to him, it was a fake black belt. Once again assuming Barvo is a fake BB he is defrauding people by claiming to be something he is not. Ricky stepping down from a fake BB to a fake blue belt does not make it any better, its still a fake belt no matter how nice he is. Unless a BB with a traceable and verifiable lineage gives you rank, it's fake. Period. You can give yourself rank in Rex Kwon Do if you wanted and no one would care, but as soon as you start claiming rank in BJJ people start getting pissed. Just because you think you are a blue belt doesn't mean you are one, you are a white belt that thinks you are a blue belt. You are a white belt no matter how good you are until a verified BB gives you rank. End of story. If Ricky wants to be legit he should put a white belt on, go down the street or across town or wherever and start training.

No, I get it.

But what I am saying is there is a difference between what Ricky allegedly doing and what Matt Barvo is doing.

I'm not saying Rainbows and baby kittens for everyone. I'm not yelling to Leave Britney Alone! (sob sob)

I'm saying that one is defrauding people for monetary gain and popularity. While the other isn't. He's made no promotions of himself on the internet and quietly, for reasons known to him and Barvo, put on a blue belt instead. So why the fuck are we still talking about him? If he was wrong, he did what was right and stepped down.

The BJJ police are fucking ridiculous. This isn't an issue with a statement from the IBJJF. There aren't any BB instructors out there looking at this. This isn't even an issue in BOISE for fucks sake.

We have a Pedro Sauer affiliate (Keith Owens) and an Alliance affiliate (Mitch Coats) here and I can guarantee they aren't losing sleep about this.

Is part of me making excuses for Ricky because he's a nice guy? Certainly. I've met Matt several times as well and he's a real nice guy too, but I don't give any leeway to Matt because I see the two as VERY different.

Fair enough. Pretty honest, straight forward post.:icon_neut

Problem is they (Ricky and Barvo) just want to ignore it so it goes away. Sticking there heads in the sand. For Ricky to continue with Barvo just makes him look real, real, real bad. Nice guy or not. No one is saying he is mean, sh!t Boisefireman guy who grappled him isn't saying anything bad about him.

But just quitely switching to a Blue belt isn't enough, ya dig?

For Ricky to continue with Barvo just makes him look real, real, real bad. Nice guy or not. No one is saying he is mean, sh!t Boisefireman guy who grappled him isn't saying anything bad about him.

I'll admit that I'm glad he went blue, but disappointed that he's sticking around Team Beast. I talked to him for a while about this whole fiasco and thought I had convinced him to start over at Combat Fitness where I teach/train.

I think leaving Team Beast is the only thing he can do to really "clear his name"

But just quitely switching to a Blue belt isn't enough, ya dig?

back his hurting, haven't I dug a big enough hole?

I would pay to have my son go against Matt Barvo. I hope he sees this and shows up at the next NWSC tourney in Boise in April. I'll hand him a one hundred bill to get on the mat with my purple belt son
Barvo gave Rick his bb. They had a web page showing them together with them. I think someone is trying to distance themselves. My advice is make a clean break away from Barvo and start new with a real instructor. My humble advice. I have a crisp one hundred, Barvo. Just get on the mat with my boy and it's yours.

My wife got really pissed that I wrote this, so I won't pay to fight my son but I will pay Barvo's tourney Fees to the next Northwest Sub Challenge. Yes, after 21 years of marriage, I am scared of my wife. HAHA

so on the UG some guy messaged leandro back and forth

team beast is an affiliate

barvo is a fake BB and forged a ibjjf BB certificate

hopefully when people research matt barvo the word "fraud" will be in all search results

ug link/convo

MMA Underground Forums

Conversation:

ME

January 5 at 3:07pm
Whats the update on this con artist?

Is he going to continue to represent a great team like Checkmat?

Just another concerned fan of BJJ,

Ben

Leandro Vieira January 5 at 8:33pm Report
Hi Ben,

I`m not understand what do you talking.

Have you train with him? I had this opportunity and he has good drills and good students.

Why do you talking this?

Me

January 5 at 8:54pm
There is a big thread on yhe mma.tv forums that have shown that he has faked his black belt certificate. He has lied alot of his training history. It's unbelievable! I thought some guys had contacted u about this!?
Sent via Facebook Mobile

Me
January 5 at 9:57pm
I will send info on him. He is a pathological liar.

Leandro Vieira January 5 at 11:46pm Report
i saw it before. But forum people write whatever they want.

I went to visit him twice last year. We trained and of course he have what to learn but that what I think: If he is a good bjj why he want to be part of the team and learn?

I have a lot of good examples of athletes they came to train with us and they change his game, like they never trained bjj before. They came to training with all kind of belt colors, brazilian or not all they tell us "Is like I never trained BJJ before".

do you know what I mean?

Barvo is a guy in love for BJJ. Want to learn. His students are like him, sick to learn.

The guys talking that things at forum are bjj teacher at same city and i do not know why they still talk that.

They never went to train with him. And Barvo`s students when fight a tournament all get gold medals.

Before he be affiliate at checkmat I went there to check if this is true or not. I new all that things at forum.

I know we need to help to stop the fake black belts but we need to check first. Give time and we will see if he is a fake black belt or not.

Come to visit me at Long Beach.

Me

January 6 at 3:15am
I would love to visit you Leandro! I am never claim anything for myself! I am a BJJ Brown Belt with Prof Paulo Guimaraes (Prof Jorge Periera BB).

I am nothing special, I started BJJ very late after 20 year of skateboarding destruction on my legs...

I want to send you what has been found about this guy.

Me

January 6 at 3:18am
The only reason I care is that (like many many others) we have put out hearts and blood on the mat to be the better person that we are because of Jiu Jitsu. This HAS NOT but claims it.

Iknow blue belts that have good warm ups and technique... doesnt mean they should claim a black belt..

Me

January 6 at 3:21am
This is me: I am nothing great, but I am honest to BJJ to my soul.

Roots Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu : Ben Miller
Roots Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu : Ben Miller
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://www.brazilianjiujitsu.com.au/&h=a88fc
Ben Miller Instructor Page

I dont know why i posted this... i guess to show I can do 20 push-ups.

Me

January 6 at 4:11am
So, Leandro, the international BJJ community (from white belts to black belts) want to know who gave this fraud his black belt?!

This was posted over on the UG by Checkmat Brownbelt and author of Galvao's recent book Kevin...

"karcher-
With that said, he did let me know that Matt would have to go back to white belt (start all over), could not teach, would have to publicly apologize to all involved (including the BJJ community) and would not be an affiliate of Checkmat. Again, Leandro is a guy who NEVER likes to make waves with people and I can imagine how hard it is for someone with his personality. At this point, I suggested that he booted Matt permanently from Checkmat (in all honesty, Leandro is far more forgiving that I am and sometimes that can hurt and help you when you are dealing with nefarious people) and Leandro said that that decision was up to Leo (Leo had been contacted but nothing yet)."

I guess if Barvo wants to stay with Checkmat he's going to have to publicly apologize to the bjj community for fraudulently signing an ibjjf blackbelt cert., start at whitebelt, and stop teaching. Lol. Glad to see Leandro and Checkmat don't play around with con artists like this.

Last edited:
^Huh, I thought his name was Kevin Howell...?

^Huh, I thought his name was Kevin Howell...?

Oh maybe it is. I saw people addressing him as Kevin and thought since his screen name was karcher, his name was kevin archer. I'll edit.

Back