I feel like tapping to a choke is worse than tapping to strikes.

There is nothing wrong with either.

I mean, getting into the position where you feel the need to do that is bad, but once you're there, if it's over it's over.

Why shorten your own career and add even more risk to an already risky situation?

Refusing to tap is stupid.
I wouldn't go out on purpose but for people to act like I don't know anything because I don't have a panic attack over it equally stupid. My coach and training partners are not going to kill me. I will tap at the last sec. In a tournament, I will not go out on purpose but could happen trying like hell to get out. I will tap in a heart beat to a leg lock and pretty fast to an arm bar. I just don't understand the thought process that being competitve is terrible.

People can tap to what ever they like. It's their body and they know when they've had enough or been beat.
We already know they're tough. They fight in a cage for a living. It doesn't prove anything after that other than a disregard for their safety if they don't tap.
I also think it puts their opponent in an unenviable position. Most guys don't want to really hurt their opponent. Just beat them. Tap out when you're done. Live to fight another day.

Giving up your back and basically asking to be choked is lame, but actually getting choked out can cause brain damage just like strikes can, so tapping to strikes or to a choke is fine imo.

If you go to sleep the suspension can be almost double of the regular medical suspension if you tap, not all fighters want to be forced to sit for 6 months or more, not to mention that unlike what Rogan thinks, your body shutting down for lack of blood in the brain does has consequences in the long run.

I wouldn't go out on purpose but for people to act like I don't know anything because I don't have a panic attack over it equally stupid. My coach and training partners are not going to kill me. I will tap at the last sec. In a tournament, I will not go out on purpose but could happen trying like hell to get out. I will tap in a heart beat to a leg lock and pretty fast to an arm bar. I just don't understand the thought process that being competitve is terrible.
I wasn't one of the ones who said you don't know anything--my point about refusing to tap being stupid was about longevity vs the moment.

In the moment, sure fighting to the "death" (or as close to it as you can bear) is noble and tough and all that, but if your plan is to have a long prosperous career there is no reason to take extra damage in a situation where it's over.

Trying to see how long you can withstand a beatdown you know you're not getting out of doesn't seem like a great choice.

We've seen a lot of fighters never look the same after a fight--in boxing those fights would have been stopped by the corner as soon as it was clear how uncompetitive the fight was, but in MMA the culture is different--corners almost never stop fights.

its not that bad. things just start getting dark.

I used to think this, and wouldn't ever tap out (I did judo for a number of years). I've passed out from chokes maybe a half dozen times. But eventually I figured, I could tap and lose, or I could pass out and lose. I lose either way, so why not pick the option that's better for my brain?

I used to think this, and wouldn't ever tap out (I did judo for a number of years). I've passed out from chokes maybe a half dozen times. But eventually I figured, I could tap and lose, or I could pass out and lose. I lose either way, so why not pick the option that's better for my brain?
I'm trying to get rid of the ego. I really am. I detest losing. With joint locks I don't have much choice. I don't take it that far.

99% of people thinking tapping to strikes is cowardly never trained combat sports in their life.
Bruh you're face down, being crushed by your opponent's weight, getting punched in the face and the referee is watching and jerking off at the sight. I'd tap if i was David branch too. Shit man not everyone is aldo or weidman. And look where weidman's is at now. Foh to all those who hate on mfs who tap to strikes.

I tap to various chokes all the time. Never really let myself get in a position where i have to tap to strikes though, since i'm over 40 now and as slow as a week in the jail. So no sparring and especially no real fights.

1. A fighter knows when he or she is done. There's no shame in a fighter realizing when they've been bested.
2. Internet dorks calling professional fighters "cowardly" is the height of asinine. Anyone who makes a living by locking him or herself in a cage with other trained assassins shouldn't have words like "cowardly" attached to their name.
Generally agree but you have exceptions like Kalib Starnes, Bob Sapp in the later part of his career and probably some other ones I’m forgetting..

If you're trapped under someone's full mount, usually the only chance you have of escape is rolling over. Call it cowardly all you want, it's a valid technique that can lead to a transition where otherwise the fight would have been over. It's also a very instinctual move to avoid taking more undefended strikes to the face, so yeah some guys will roll over just to avoid taking more shots. It is t a desperation move? Absolutely. It's very risky and often will lead to a RNC, but not always. There are plenty of examples of escapes from the position.

I don't understand why people equate tapping to "courage" of any kind. It's high school shit for 35 year-old Affliction T shirt wearing bums.
fedor survived through the end of the round against bigfoot by giving up his back a number of times.

its not my fault you're being a pussy or havent trained long. I tap in class because that ego crap isn't tolerated. In a tourney I may go out from trying to escape.

people who actually train don't display half the ego you're showing lmao

people who actually train don't display half the ego you're showing lmao
whatever dude. You can pick my brain for a while and learn quickly I train and have done so considerably. I'm flawed like every other human being out there. I am always looking to learn more, but no I'm not some bum off the street.

Ok. I feel like tapping when there is no escape is the only move unless you are an idiot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Wang
Back