I feel like tapping to a choke is worse than tapping to strikes.

there's always potential to survive a "striking" onslaught i.e. Lesnar didn't tap vs Carwin and went on to win. Most warriors allow the ref to make this decision with many (most??) fighters challenging the stoppage even instead of tapping themselves. Tapping to a sub is because the alternative is losing and being unconscious or inured .

This is why Conor > striking tappers

Either is fine as long as you are unable to continue. If a fighter is looking for a way out and taps without really trying to defend that's something to maybe not be ridiculed but definitely should be held against them as far as future opportunities at big fights.

he tapped to an arm bar
This. If you’re in a position where the fight is over, you’re stuck and can’t get out/improve position, I don’t see a difference whether it’s strikes or a sub. Nothing cowardly about tapping if you legitimately need to tap.

deflecting your retarded narrative that colby was a coward against usman?? serious?
My statement was:
"Let us be honest. Tapping to strikes takes more balls than curling up in a ball or fetal position without fighting, and waiting for the referee to save you. So, you can complain of an "early stoppage." Like Colby Covington did versus Kamaru Usman. LOL"

I don't see any mentioning of "coward." So, you are arguing against a strawman.

I think fighters should have to say matte if they tap to strikes.

41204132d1dd12e09f20a58c2e5b6e37.gif

You should only lose a round to a submission not the whole fight its a clear flaw in rules but tapping to strikes is what cowards do and its a career killing move. Huge difference

1. A fighter knows when he or she is done. There's no shame in a fighter realizing when they've been bested.
2. Internet dorks calling professional fighters "cowardly" is the height of asinine. Anyone who makes a living by locking him or herself in a cage with other trained assassins shouldn't have words like "cowardly" attached to their name.
This.

a
My statement was:
"Let us be honest. Tapping to strikes takes more balls than curling up in a ball or fetal position without fighting, and waiting for the referee to save you. So, you can complain of an "early stoppage." Like Colby Covington did versus Kamaru Usman. LOL"

I don't see any mentioning of "coward." So, you are arguing against a strawman.
any implication that he didn't show toughness and courage inside cage is stupid.

Tapping to strikes usually shows that you’re done and is basically a TKO, maybe because I watch a lot of boxing and see fights get ended on the stool. Usually tapping bc of punches show that you’re legitimately out of the fight and while it’s true that some people would rather go out cold than tap to that it’s still doesn’t make it a weak way to end a fight.

Being put in a RNC or giving up your back in general tho? That is extremely cowardly and is worthy of ridicule. That’s the equivalent of quitting in the middle of a game or fight.

GSP doesn’t deserve shit for the Matt Serra loss even though it looked bad. But Conor does deserve all the shit he gets for giving up his neck and tapping the way he does. It’s borderline cowardly
Lol never trained but on a forum thinking that professionals tapping is worthy of ridicule.

Going unconscious is never a good thing.

Tapping to strikes should be less demonized. If a fighter is at a point where they will be tapping to it a ref should have stepped in already or a towel should have been thrown.

Tapping, in any form, is part of the sport.
There is nothing cowardly or "worse" about tapping.
Whether strikes or submissions,
there is no shame in admitting defeat to fight another day.
It's a sport, not a fight to the death.

Muay Thai in thailand has a similar mentality (not fighting in the third round).
You don't fight to the death, when you've got another fight coming in a week.

People are delusional and never rolled (or sparred).

As if all of us wouldn't tap to Tyson or Gracie.

Take a punch in the liver, and then talk about not tapping.

Last edited:
If the ref is doing his job right you won't need to tap to strikes

there's always potential to survive a "striking" onslaught i.e. Lesnar didn't tap vs Carwin and went on to win. Most warriors allow the ref to make this decision with many (most??) fighters challenging the stoppage even instead of tapping themselves. Tapping to a sub is because the alternative is losing and being unconscious or inured .

This is why Conor > striking tappers

There's also always a potential to survive an armlock or choke. Look at GSP vs Hardy or Jones vs Belfort. In old school judo you were supposed to take that chance because sometimes it paid off. My old sensei used to yell at students who tapped to chokes or armbars in major competitions -- he felt about it the same way many on Sherdog feel about tapping to strikes. Helio Gracie apparently felt the same way, not tapping to Kimura's kimura for instance.

Its a question of risk to reward. The idea that tapping to strikes was wrong was based on the medical knowledge of half a century ago, when it was felt that there was little risk in being hit in the head when you were blacking out. Seriously, ten year old boys would be knocked out in football or hockey, revived and sent back into the game a minute later because no one knew there were long term consequences. Now we know better, and in fact it turns out that its more dangerous to be hit in the head when you're already concussed than to have a broken arm. That is why several national medical associations want to ban boxing and MMA, but none want to ban BJJ or judo.

People who think tapping to strikes is worse than tapping to chokes or arm bars are twenty years out of date in their medical knowledge. There's always a chance to escape in both striking and submissions. Sometimes it works (Hardy vs GSP), sometimes it doesn't (like BIg Nog against Mir). But the risk is much bigger with strikes than with submissions, which is why doctors want to ban boxing and MMA but not judo or BJJ.

Ultimately, fighters know (or are supposed to know) when they can't escape. That's true for both grappling and striking. Leaving either to the expertise of the ref can leave you with a broken arm or severe neurological damage -- and the neurological damage is far worse in both short term and long term. Maybe if refs were better fighters wouldn't have to tap to either, they could let the refs decide. But with current refs a smart fighter will tap to either submissions or strikes, because the refs are likely to get it wrong.

There's also always a potential to survive an armlock or choke. Look at GSP vs Hardy or Jones vs Belfort. In old school judo you were supposed to take that chance because sometimes it paid off.

Its a question of risk to reward. The idea that tapping to strikes was wrong was based on the medical knowledge of half a century ago, when it was felt that there was little risk in being hit in the head when you were blacking out. Seriously, ten year old boys would be knocked out in football or hockey, revived and sent back into the game a minute later because no one knew there were long term consequences. Now we know better, and in fact it turns out that its more dangerous to be hit in the head when you're already concussed than to have a broken arm. That is why several national medical associations want to ban boxing and MMA, but none want to ban BJJ or judo.

People who think tapping to strikes is worse than tapping to chokes or arm bars are twenty years out of date in their medical knowledge. There's always a chance to escape in both striking and submissions. Sometimes it works (Hardy vs GSP), sometimes it doesn't (like BIg Nog against Mir). But the risk is much bigger with strikes than with submissions, which is why doctors want to ban boxing and MMA but not judo or BJJ.

Ultimately, fighters know (or are supposed to know) when they can't escape. That's true for both grappling and striking. Leaving either to the expertise of the ref can leave you with a broken arm or severe neurological damage -- and the neurological damage is far worse in both short term and long term. Maybe if refs were better fighters wouldn't have to tap to either, they could let the refs decide. But with current refs a smart fighter will tap to either submissions or strikes, because the refs are likely to get it wrong.
You gave two fringe examples where the hold wasnt tight with guys who are not submission experts, I can give tons of examples of guys surviving a pounding

Could someone who actually trains at a real gym confirm if tapping is frowned upon? I thought everyone eventually gets tapped even Roger Gracie. ???

Generally agree but you have exceptions like Kalib Starnes, Bob Sapp in the later part of his career and probably some other ones I’m forgetting..
Sapp was taking dives; that's something entirely different. I still don't know what to make of the Starnes-Quarry fight, though. I remember there was speculation at the time that Starnes was upset with the UFC and purposely put on a terrible performance to get released. Others think he was scared of Quarry, which would be odd considering he fought plenty of fighters who were better than Quarry. Either way, it was a weird fight.

You gave to fringe examples where the hold wasnt tight. I can give tons of examples of guys surviving a pounding

The examples you would give would be of guys who held on because they weren't blacking out from strikes, which is the equivalent of a loose hold. I can give lots of examples of guys blacking out from strikes who couldn't survive (and were only saved because the ref jumped in or because they tapped). You seem to think guys are tapping to strikes because of pain, but in most cases its because they're losing consciousness, the same way they lose consciousness from a choke.

Your name suggests you have grappled, so I'm guessing you've been choked out. So you know what its like, you're aware enough to tap, but not to escape, and its the same with chokes and strikes.

Back