Hunt pledges allegiance to Australia

These 2 countries are about as close as 2 countries get -who cares.

NZ is basically another Australian state. We should just go ahead and make it official tbh. Mark Hunt leading the way.

This is true.

Don't pretend like we can't tell.

lol can you? Like even if the persons from Toronto or Vancouver or something? I just assumed the newfie accent was generalized to all canadians by americans.

I did this program in Quebec over the summer and there were American students in it and I couldn't detect any real differences in accent (which was surprising since they were from new jersey, georgia, texas and new york).

I have a buddy who was born and raised in NZ but now lives in Australia, and now says he's Australian when people ask where he's from. I asked him why, and he said he likes living there, and he'll probably be staying there a while, and that the two countries were pretty easy to go-between, no passport/border check/immigration type stuff really, and that it was basically like the same country in a lot of ways. He said what switching is pretty common and it wasn't a big deal for him to call himself Australian. I still find it a bit weird, but I'm from the U.S. and we don't have an analog-country quite like that.

Um, bullshit? Of course there is immigration and passport checks. I went there earlier this year and I had more of a grilling from the immigration officer there than I did when entering Japan or America. You dont need a specific visa to travel between the two countries but then again same goes for going between Australia and many other countries. Your friend is full of shit.

We're still totally separate countries. I get the feeling the line between NZ and Aus doesn't have the same "OK, you're in a totally different country now" vibe that the US/Canada border has. It goes the other way too; the U.S. Mexico border, where I live, has this feel even more than the U.S./Canada border does.

Yeah pretty much. Being in Auckland feels like just being in any harbor city in Australia. Watching the news in my hotel room at least 2/3 of it was about Australia anyway. No wonder they were pissed, so little of interest happens in their tiny country that they mostly report about Australia instead. LOL

I agree, plus isn't New Zealand and Australia pretty much the same thing?

Yeah, they used to be part of New South Wales which is one of our states... I think we decided we didnt want them anymore so they made their own country.

Mark makes valid points though. The New Zealand media have pretty much shunned MMA. Is it even legal over there?

Of course it is.

In fact, just this Friday I watched a fight under "NZ Pride" rules, as they called it. Full Pride style rules, with elbows too.

MMA is still very much a growing sport over here. Most people I talk to have no idea what I'm talking about when I say MMA, very few know what UFC is either... I usually have to resort to "cage fighting" to describe it lol

We're still totally separate countries. I get the feeling the line between NZ and Aus doesn't have the same "OK, you're in a totally different country now" vibe that the US/Canada border has. It goes the other way too; the U.S. Mexico border, where I live, has this feel even more than the U.S./Canada border does.

Yeah... Except for that whole flying over several hours of ocean thing.

You're right in thinking NZ and Australia are very similar. They are. Although, of course, there are very distinct differences too.

Yeah, they used to be part of New South Wales which is one of our states... I think we decided we didnt want them anymore so they made their own country.

WTF?

I have literally never heard that before, and I'm pretty sure it's complete horse shit.

As a New Zealand I'm sad that Mark Hunt said that but tbh it's NZ's fault. He has literally been putting his life on the line kicking ass for decades and you basically NEVER hear his name anywhere in NZ. I saw a replay of his finish on 3 News after the Struve fight and I heard a radio ad for his Dos Santos fight, that's it.

I wish our media did cover combat sports more. They are just too obsessed with Rugby.

You are completely full of shit.
Maybe this is why Kiwis get pissed off at you guys.

As a New Zealand I'm sad that Mark Hunt said that but tbh it's NZ's fault. He has literally been putting his life on the line kicking ass for decades and you basically NEVER hear his name anywhere in NZ. I saw a replay of his finish on 3 News after the Struve fight and I heard a radio ad for his Dos Santos fight, that's it.

I wish our media did cover combat sports more. They are just too obsessed with Rugby.

And yes some of what Mark Hunt says is true, the media here covers about 3 sports and the rest are completely ignored, We have world champs in loads of sports and no one even knows who they are.
Ive been watching Mark Hunt for years and K1 was on tv here although late at night.

The New Zealand media really do suck, he's right about that.

WTF?

I have literally never heard that before, and I'm pretty sure it's complete horse shit.

Then apparently you dont know anything about the history of your own country. Google is your friend mate.

go look it up num nuts. Ill wait...

shit your actually right. never knew that. haha!
tumblr_lp60bdaBv91qfnac5o1_400.gif

poor sheep fuckerz! they will always be the younger bro. met lots of good blokes from nz in my travels.

Being a Kiwi it is sad to read this but I completely understand where he's coming from.

In NZ, shitty radio personnel who fight in shitty boxing events get more recognition than Hunt.

Um, bullshit? Of course there is immigration and passport checks. I went there earlier this year and I had more of a grilling from the immigration officer there than I did when entering Japan or America. You dont need a specific visa to travel between the two countries but then again same goes for going between Australia and many other countries. Your friend is full of shit.

It's probably because your face has criminal written all over it.

War Hunt.

Representing us Polynesian brothers.

He'll always be an islander, not an Aussie.

Back