Hunt pledges allegiance to Australia

13yi.jpg
The Maori people ate the original in inhabitants of New Zealad
I'm from New Zealand and i enjoyed both of these immensely :icon_lol:

I understand where Mark is coming from, the media in New Zealand ARE fucking useless/clueless when it comes to most sports.
Although for 160 there was a lot more hype (comparatively) around for both Hunt and Te Huna (in national papers, more PPV plugs on pay TV etc), and some articles about Dylan tacked on the back of it also.

I don't hate Aussies at all, but i do enjoy when they pretend things never even took place/existed at all when we pull their pants down.

Watch the news the next day after NZ beat Aussie in cricket.

Actually, never mind that is a bad example these days.

LOL typical kiwi response... hey we beat you at our national sport, even though just about no-one under 60 years old gives a crap about rugby in Australia. Its a minor sport in this country and far more kiwis play the game then Aussies, get over it cause noone cares.

Perfect response.

NZ are better then Aussies at rugby because more kiwis play rugby.

& rugby isn't a national sport in Oz.

...was about to say, jesus, how long has it been since that happened?

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_cricket_team_in_Australia_in_2011–12

NZ won their first test against Australia last year since 1985
I'm not comparing success here, but this only strengthens the case as to why its funny when they say nothing.
Actually the best part is the NZ born hosts even taking the piss out of the news network who just happened to not have time to talk about it.

It's only one example but it can be applied to many things :p

I'm 32, Australian and I care about rugby union.

The all blacks are close to perfection and I can appreciate watching mastery without letting nationalism get in the way of my enjoyment of the sport.

The kiwis I've been friends with have been great guys, I've spent a little time over there are fucking love it and am really looking forward to spending part of my retirement there.

LOL, NZ are league world champs also.

but to be fair... after winning 9 out of the previous 11 world cups we need to give them one occasionally just out of pity.

I'm 32, Australian and I care about rugby union.

The all blacks are close to perfection and I can appreciate watching mastery without letting nationalism get in the way of my enjoyment of the sport.

The kiwis I've been friends with have been great guys, I've spent a little time over there are fucking love it and am really looking forward to spending part of my retirement there.

wow... never thought I would actually meet one of the eight fans who still follow rugby union in Australia in person... well on a forum at least.

You went to a private school I assume?

Did they really? thats amazing. I mean the earliest settlers were polynesians, who were known to be warlike and practice cannibalism. So who ever won the wars got to settle on the land i guess. Interesting.

But what about the native people of Australia? How were they treated? Did they have rights or anything like that?

[YT]p09-papi0M0[/YT]

The Maori people ate the original in inhabitants of New Zealad

Commonly believed to be true, but ultimately not provable.

There were cannibal Maori's, no doubt about it. But the idea that the Maori's essentially ate the Moriori's to extinction hasn't been accepted as fact for quite a while.

Wiki:
During the early 20th century it was commonly, but erroneously, believed that the Moriori were pre-Māori settlers of New Zealand, linguistically and genetically different from the Māori, and possibly Melanesian. This story, incorporated into Stephenson Percy Smith's "Great Fleet" hypothesis, was widely believed during the early 20th century. However the hypothesis was not always accepted, see 1904 paper by A. Shand on The Early History of the Morioris.

By the late 20th century the hypothesis that the Moriori were different from the Māori had fallen out of favour amongst archeologists, who believed that the Moriori were Māori who settled on the Chatham Islands in the 16th century. The earlier hypothesis was discredited in the 1960s and 1970s.

It's just one of those things that was true for a while and is sensational enough to hang around as a "thing to quote", a la the "fact" that everyone eats X amount of spiders a year.

But to be clear, as far as I'm aware, I don't think anyone is 100% sure of what went down (if anything) between the Maori and Moriori.

But what about the native people of Australia? How were they treated? Did they have rights or anything like that?

I'm no expert on the matter but basically they got fucked. Hard.

Maori's made out like bandits, comparatively. In fact, to my knowledge, the Maori's were the first/only indigenous people to force the Crown in to signing a treaty. They basically forced the British Empire in to a stale mate, using trench warfare and generally being bad asses.

Of course, despite the treaty, Empire gonna Empire, and the British still walked in and took all their shit. But still, Maori did much better than most.

Aboriginal Australian's got it about as rough as anyone. They're right up there with Native American's.

Aborigines weren't considered human and essentially hunted like animals.

Now (again like the Native American's), they often live in settlements in the middle of nowhere where poverty, alcoholism and all sorts of abuses run rife.

But to be clear, as far as I'm aware, I don't think anyone is 100% sure of what went down (if anything) between the Maori and Moriori.

Moriori were Chatham Island Maori. They were also massive pacifists. After trading for weapons with the Europeans some Maori went to the Chatham islands and enslaved them and killed them off. It's easy to find on Wikipedia. The ministry of education issued an apology for incorrectly teaching that the Moriori were the original inhabitants of New Zealand that were killed off by the Maori.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moriori_people

And when they live in the community they get loads of government benefits that other people don't get including access to home ownership grants, employment agency services and welfare benefits that nobody else is able to access but largely most end up alcoholic and dead at 40 because of ingrained disdain to the predecessors of the current Australian regime.

So basically just like Native Americans.

Back