How would u do rolling with Kimbo

without punches? I'd tap him. I'd at least have dominant position on him.

I'm 6'2" 260 and I train with several very strong HW.

Yes, I think I could take him. I mean who knows for sure. I am positive I have better technical Jiu Jitsu, but maybe his size and strength will be an insurmountable factor for me. Maybe not. If I ever got the chance, I would take it and then I'd know.

BTW, I am an average blue belt. I am not delusional in thinking I could win, I just know what has happened other times I've gone against big guys with little experience.

I think I could armdrag to back. I have subbed guys with his build before.

I'm a lightweight blue belt. I fight at 150 or 155. And I would wreck Kimbo in a grappling match -- gi or no gi.

No offense, but if you cannot tap out a guy like Kimbo, you don't deserve a blue belt in BJJ. Where I come from, that is what a blue belt signifies: that you understand the basics of BJJ well enough to overcome a big, strong, unskilled dude on the ground. Unless you are debating the "unskilled" part as it pertains to grappling, I think that describes Kimbo exactly. If you are debating that part, call your eye doctor and then watch the fight again.

When I first started grappling in college, I was a white belt level in BJJ. One of the guys I trained with was about 5'6" 300 lbs. He definitely had some fat on him, but he also had muscle underneath there. He also had been training grappling sports for most of his life. I was still able to tap him on a fairly regular basis as a white belt. He didn't focus enough on technique and left himself vulnerable to a few basic attacks.

The biggest guy I ever rolled with was about 6'6" and 350-400 lbs. It was his first day ever. I submitted him like 3-4 times in a ten minute round. This was about 1-2 years before I even got my blue belt.

Right after I got my blue belt, I rolled with this crazy roid freak who came by our club. He introduced himself as "The Eliminator" (seriously). I guess that was his MMA nickname in his head and he had garage trained a bit before. He was about 225-250 lbs of solid roid muscle.

I rolled with him for about 5 minutes wearing a gi when he was no gi. He used my gi against me any way he could. At the end, he had not passed my guard, came close to subbing me, or even scored an advantage in a grappling match. I had probably scored a few advantages for my sub and sweep attempts. Even more than that, he was completely gassed after the 5 minutes. I did not submit him because he quit the match and just went home before I could. If it had gone on another 5 minutes, I am almost positive I would have submitted him. Usually it's an RNC with people of that build.

So yes, I am confident to state on the internet that I as a 150 lb blue belt could beat Kimbo Slice in a grappling match. I'm not going to say anything about an MMA match because that's a different animal. But we are talking about grappling here in this thread.

If you pansies want to report me to the Kimbo Police for saying that, then go right ahead. It's not that hard to figure out who I am if Kimbo is interested in taking me up on a grappling match.

I respect him for getting in the cage and trying to improve at MMA, but the man is NOT at any kind of skill level in grappling at the moment. That's just a fact.

I would try to RNC him. He's probably too strong to arm bar. His neck is so strong it's probably be hard to get the RNC, but he is so inflexible he probably wouldn't be able to get me off his back in the 5 mins.

Kimbo grapples at a white belt level. About 18 months of grappling experience with Bas Ruten as head trainer, starting at 32 yoa. That is why people think they have a chance against him. Yea, he's strong. But he isn't quick, doesn't have good hips, doesn't have good balance, doesn't have good cardio, and doesn't have any experience. Experienced and competitive blue belts and purple belts - even if they are 70 pounds lighter - SHOULD be able to hold their own and even get the better of someone like Kimbo Slice. You act like his 'professional' status somehow makes him a better grappler. It doesn't. Many of us train with plenty of serious athletes and/or professional fighters (many of whom are more experienced and more skilled than Kimbo, just lacking the marketing machine behind them), and so many of us know exactly how and what we can do against larger guys who fight for a living but who have obvious holes in their grappling.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that my 15 years of competitive grappling experience gives a lot of the bigger fighters at my gym plenty of trouble. I out-wrestle them, then when they're on their backs, I out-grapple, out-quick, and outwork them. Would I beat Kimbo? I don't know - never grappled with him or anyone who has. But I know what my gameplan would be, and from my experience against similar guys, I believe I would have a good shot at beating him. And you can email that to him. It's nothing personal, I'm just far more experienced on the mats than he is, and believe I would come out on top.

there we go, thats all that i needed to read(although i did read the rest of your thread), if you have 15 years of experience and are smaller and weaker then someone like kimbo, without a doubt i would think you would own him.

what i was saying tho, is that these white and blue belts here(nothing against them, im a bluebelt myself) who have been training probobly 5 or more times less then you think that they would tool kimbo. They dont understand that kimbo has been training grappling probobly for a year and a half or more already, and just because he doesnt have the latest xguard sweep down doesnt mean hes horrible.

all im saying was we saw his mma grappling, and it wasnt pretty and it didnt get the job done, but thats mma....try getting a guy like thompson punching you while you try to escape...and in mma many guys dont translate their jiu jitsu/grappling TOO well(alberto crane comes to mind)

I dont like kimbo, in fact i can say i highly dislike him, but i also dislike "respectable" members of the forum who just so happen not to be very experienced grapplers go out and talk about how they would own a guy who has maybe a bit less of experience then them....but probobly 5x their strength. Its just not realistic.

there we go, thats all that i needed to read(although i did read the rest of your thread), if you have 15 years of experience and are smaller and weaker then someone like kimbo, without a doubt i would think you would own him.

what i was saying tho, is that these white and blue belts here(nothing against them, im a bluebelt myself) who have been training probobly 5 or more times less then you think that they would tool kimbo. They dont understand that kimbo has been training grappling probobly for a year and a half or more already, and just because he doesnt have the latest xguard sweep down doesnt mean hes horrible.

all im saying was we saw his mma grappling, and it wasnt pretty and it didnt get the job done, but thats mma....try getting a guy like thompson punching you while you try to escape...and in mma many guys dont translate their jiu jitsu/grappling TOO well(alberto crane comes to mind)

I dont like kimbo, in fact i can say i highly dislike him, but i also dislike "respectable" members of the forum who just so happen not to be very experienced grapplers go out and talk about how they would own a guy who has maybe a bit less of experience then them....but probobly 5x their strength. Its just not realistic.

I've been training BJJ for 4 years, MMA grappling with strikes for 1 year before that, and I trained a karate based blend of martial arts under an instructor who was certified in CSW under Erik Paulson for 13 years before that. I'm also a blue belt in BJJ. I don't think I'm that incredibly atypical either since I know a lot of other blue belts who are in the same boat.

So I don't think Kimbo is in the same league as me when it comes to grappling. I also don't think Kimbo has had much in the way of quality grappling instruction for the past 1.5 years based on his fight. Bas is not known for his grappling instruction. Just listen to some of the downright dangerous advice he likes to give such as "ankle locks are just pain."

Bas is a good MMA fighter, but if Kimbo's grappling is seriously the product of 1.5 years of training, I don't think he's an effective grappling trainer.

I don't think I'm any kind of expert grappler or anything. I'm just a blue belt in BJJ. But I do think that puts me quite a bit ahead of Kimbo in the grappling game. I don't see how any serious grappler could think otherwise after watching his fight.

No one here would tap Kimbo. Because Tappin out is for bitches....

<object width="464" height="392"><param name="movie" value="http://embed.break.com/NDQ3ODgy"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://embed.break.com/NDQ3ODgy" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess=always width="464" height="392"></embed></object><br><font size=1><a href="http://my.break.com/content/view.aspx?ContentID=447882">Kimbo Shout Out</a> - Watch more <a href="http://www.break.com/">free videos</a></font>

I grapple with guys as big as him all the time, I have grappled with fighters in the UFC, amateur fighters, pro fighters, big strong wrestlers, i've grappled with just about everybody. I think if I grappled him in a gym without a time limit or points or anything like that, I could eventually tap him. I have a good guard that people have trouble passing and taking the back is my specialty. I can usually RNC guys like him. i have been training 3.5 years and am dedicated to this.

Good luck at the mundials cowboy, I hope to be there someday in the distant future haha.

I know what you mean. I am a blue belt, a three stipe blue who has has had his third stripe for almost 6 months. Nonetheless, i am a blue belt. I have not grappled for 15 years. But i have trained against people who are kimbo's size and strength. I started my training on a US army base against guys who were 220+ so i know what size feels like ontop of me. I have trained against guys who were kimbo's size or weigh more and i loose to them most of the time BUT they were competitive amature judokas and two of them went to yong in university for judo. AFAIK, kimbo has ZERO wrestling or judo experience. I never said that it would be easy or pleasant... I did say that i have experience gassing guys out in my halfguard who were more talented than kimbo when it comes to grappling, who have had years of korean judo experience. Kimbo does not compare to them with or wihtout the gi on.

Yes kimbo has been training a year, but he as been training mma not grappling. I have also rolled against mma fighters who train mma as long as kimbo, they are not as effective when they can't punch from the top.

All that being said, i think i could tire him out in my half guard and then get a choke. It would be ALOT easier if it was gi, i believe that i could sweep him in my dlr guard and maintain top position because i have a mobile top game and it will tire him out.

They dont understand that kimbo has been training grappling probobly for a year and a half or more already, and just because he doesnt have the latest xguard sweep down doesnt mean hes horrible.

What fight were you watching?

1)He didnt even attempt to close half guard let along work ANYTHING from there.

2) He didn't even attempt to close his guard when going for those guilitines

3) He had a sloppy mount at one point and just gave it up like nohing without thompson even doing anything.

4) He had 0 hip movement.

5) He was giving up kimura and americana ops like it was his job (but thompson didnt seem to know how to take advantage lol)

Assuming equal size and strength I would put money on most experienced white belts. lol

I think pretty much any purple within 60 pounds would crush him in a grappling match.

I just think it is funny that i think i can tap out the guy who won the main event, of the first network tv event.

I think its funny how everyone here can beat all of the champions. So how many of you are actually UFC/Elite XC/ WEC...Etc world champions. We are watching a guy who is fighting in MMA and saying things about what could be done in a JJ tourny. Things change when people punch you in the head.

He has some big holes in his game but at the same time he was not in a grappling match.

I think its funny how everyone here can beat all of the champions. So how many of you are actually UFC/Elite XC/ WEC...Etc world champions. We are watching a guy who is fighting in MMA and saying things about what could be done in a JJ tourny. Things change when people punch you in the head.

He has some big holes in his game but at the same time he was not in a grappling match.

I don't think any of us are talking about an mma fight, we are all saying we could submit him in a pure grappling match.

No one's denying that he hits hard.

We're just saying it looked like Kimbo learned his grappling at Tiger Schulman's.

At 155 pounds I MIGHT be able to tap Kimbo, but I've been grappling for a minute. There's no way he hasnt gone over basic grappling dozens (hundreds) of times.

A couple of things to remember.

He was getting punched.
He was put in a bad spot for the first time in his pro career.
He was winded.

If we saw Kimbo go straight grappling when he was fresh I would guarantee he would be about where we expected him to before we saw that freakshow on Saturday.

IDK. where I shine is against people slower, weaker, and smaller than me.

I don't think any of us are talking about an mma fight, we are all saying we could submit him in a pure grappling match.

I understand that. I guess what I am trying to say is that we are comparing the skills we see Kimbo using in a MMA match and transferring them over to a grappling match. I do not think Kimbo has great skills at all but I would not watch a MMA guy and compare what he does in a MMA match to JJ match. They are two different ways of fighting and all techniques do not transfer over so often a person will not show everything he can do on the ground in an actual fight.

When I watch Kimbo I do not see a good submission guy at all but I would like to see him rolling with no punches from either side before I totally judge his skills.

Back