How would Francis have faired in today's HW landscape?

I imagine he would be a top 5 guy if he'd hung out in the UFC. Would like to see him fight MMA again. Probably will never be a top boxing talent, but hell, if he's getting paid more power to him.

Time didnt fly that fast, hold on , hed still wreck everyone in the ufc, including Jimmy Jones

If Ngannou had held onto the belt and not fought again after beating Gane, he’d still be champ. Although I think he would’ve fought Pavlovich and Aspinall by now. Not sure what the results of those fights would be. I don’t think he would’ve called out Miocic after beating Gane but if he had, the rubber match would’ve made a little more sense than our current reality and certainly would’ve happened a long time ago.

I think so and Jones would have never made his Heavyweight debut. That's just my opinion tho, ik some people think it's the other way around and that Ngannou ducked Jones lol.
Francis said himself he turned down an $8m offer to fight Jones, Jones was ready.

I'm pretty sure he'd still have the throne as he is capable of beating everyone in the current division still. The only person who would be questionable in regards to him being able to beat is Tom.

Francis had bad knees when he left MMA. Probably aren't any better now. He'd lose to anyone competent enough to grapple him.

He fought Blaydes and Gane of the current crop of HWs, but we now have Jones back in the mix, Aspinall, Volkov, Almeida, Pavlovich, and maybe an improved Blaydes too. The Gane decision win looks worse now given how Jones despatched him. Stipe was arguably past it even back then. Rozenstruik has turned out to be a bit meh. Lewis has shown that against the upper tier guys he struggles. Given all this, if Francis were to have remained in the UFC, would he still be holding the gold?

no. everyone knows hw is filled with mediocre, sloppy fighters who get away with it by being big and dangerous. francis is the poster child for that. he’s a physical specimen, sure, but elite fighters handle him. someone on the level of jones, aspinal, or prime cormier would make it look easy. we all saw what a slightly younger stipe did to him. if francis stayed, champ would be either jones or aspinall.

Imagine if Ngannou hadn't lost to Joshua in such an embarrasing way, but was still the dude who arguably beat Fury.

Things changes so fast.

I can't think of a boxer who has taken bigger fights in a career of 2 bouts, it's incredible when you think of it like that.

I think Francis would struggle with Aspinall, though everyone currently would, prime Cain or JDS would have been great fights though

It wasn't that embarrasing. He just got KTFO.

Most people still knows he'd KTFO Jones. Even Jones knows it.

Not quite that simple tbh.

He didn't get randomly 1 punch KTFO in a competitive fight. He got decimated with ease - hurt with every clean punch Joshua landed, then absolutely obliterated by the big right hand killshot. It was effortless and brutal, and only took a few minutes.

Whether it's embarrassing or not depends on your perspective I guess. In one sense it was embarrassing, in another it's what was supposed to happen with an MMA fighter boxing an elite boxer.

Gane was a harder matchup for Ngannou than Aspinall is or ever could be

You think Aspinall is a better offensive wrestler than Stipe or Blaydes who had all their TDs stuffed in the rematch vs Ngannou?

It would stay standing and Ngannou would touch Aspinall's chin the same way Pavlovich briefly did before he was KOd

Not quite that simple tbh.

He didn't get randomly 1 punch KTFO in a competitive fight. He got decimated with ease - hurt with every clean punch Joshua landed, then absolutely obliterated by the big right hand killshot. It was effortless and brutal, and only took a few minutes.

Whether it's embarrassing or not depends on your perspective I guess. In one sense it was embarrassing, in another it's what was supposed to happen with an MMA fighter boxing an elite boxer.
Exactly. It wasnt just getting clipped. It was getting perfectly setup by AJ who then threw a punch with the most wind up I've ever seen at the high levels and then dropping ngannou with it.
That's a bad look. It's showing he was way the hell out of his depth.
Yes, yes, before the dick riders show up, he got paid! He got the bag!

Ngannou didnt left 15 years ago...he was the champion for a reason, today's HW was Ngannou's HW division.

He fought Blaydes and Gane of the current crop of HWs, but we now have Jones back in the mix, Aspinall, Volkov, Almeida, Pavlovich, and maybe an improved Blaydes too. The Gane decision win looks worse now given how Jones despatched him. Stipe was arguably past it even back then. Rozenstruik has turned out to be a bit meh. Lewis has shown that against the upper tier guys he struggles. Given all this, if Francis were to have remained in the UFC, would he still be holding the gold?
He'd be sitting at home, waiting for his contract to expire, while no real fights get offered to him.

Gane was a harder matchup for Ngannou than Aspinall is or ever could be

You think Aspinall is a better offensive wrestler than Stipe or Blaydes who had all their TDs stuffed in the rematch vs Ngannou?

It would stay standing and Ngannou would touch Aspinall's chin the same way Pavlovich briefly did before he was KOd
Francis got taken down by Gane.

I think Francis vs. Aspinall would be an all time great HW matchup, but him getting KO'd by AJ diminishes it

I would not be surprised at all if he loses to Ferreira after what AJ did to him tbh. That was the kind of loss that a lot of people dont bounce back from. His aura was shattered and he got KTFO cold in such a way that it may be much easier to switch him off in future.

Before the AJ loss? he still would have had some tough challenges in the UFC now imo. Jon would have stayed ducking but Tom, Pav and potentially improved TDD Gane would have been legitimate threats. Bearing in mind Francis is 37 too so hes probably in decline.
I'm more concerned with how he bounces back after losing his kid than a trivial loss in another sport.

I'm more concerned with how he bounces back after losing his kid than a trivial loss in another sport.
Of course thats trauma is probably going to take a huge toll on his professional career too. Just wasnt particularly eager to bring up dead kids in a thread about combat sports.

My money is on a prime Tim Sylvia. I think he knocks Francis out.

He throws straight punches with KO power, better endurance, better ground game

Bad matchup for Francis

Back