Opinion How many more deaths is an economic collapse/this panic going to cause than C-19 ever will?

How many more deaths will an extended severely damaged economy cause than the Corona-cold?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is the dumbest Republican talking point in awhile, and that's saying something.

If the economy crashed and the government did absolutely nothing to help people out, sure that'd be tough for a lot of people, would it kill more than covid? Not a chance, to imply that is ridiculous.

On the other hand, if the government, you know, did something to actually help people in need if the economy crashed, something tells me we'd all be alright.

What the Republicans seem to be saying is that we can't possibly shut things down for too long because that would force us to actually provide substantial economic assistance to people, and since the Republicans would rather let us all die than usher in another New Deal, a lot of people would die.

Crock of shit
Dude.... Just stop trying to make this pandemic political. It's pretty sickening at this point. There are people from both sides of the political coin, on each side of the pandemic.
Just the fact you started out making your political affiliation known tells me that's where your main concern lies....

On the one hand, every time there is a downturn in oil prices and mass layoffs start happening here in Alberta, the local branches of the CBC get plastered with articles about spikes in rates of domestic violence, heavy drug use, violent crime, and even suicide.

On the other hand, Sherdoggers insist that severe economic recession and depression will have no significant effect on health or loss of life and that it's just a partisan talking point. I guess the CBC is just peddling sensationalist Conservative talking points.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/domestic-violence-oil-patch-1.3291744

"Alberta's troubled economy is putting women in danger, domestic violence workers warn — with one Calgary support group saying calls have spiked by 40 per cent this year."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/suicide-rate-alberta-increase-layoffs-1.3353662

"The suicide rate in Alberta has increased dramatically in the wake of mounting job losses across the province."

Last edited:
Dude.... Just stop trying to make this pandemic political. It's pretty sickening at this point. There are people from both sides of the political coin, on each side of the pandemic.
Just the fact you started out making your political affiliation known tells me that's where your main concern lies....

When did I make my political affiliation known? I'm simply reporting the fact that this is a Republican talking point, which is true

Straight up if it’s like 2008-2009
I’m legit jumping off a bridge

can’t go through that again

When did I make my political affiliation known? I'm simply reporting the fact that this is a Republican talking point, which is true
Most republicans I know are caring more about health than the economy right now. Just the fact you mentioned "republican talking points", pretty much said it all. Fuck republicans, fuck democrats, we need to all be Americans right now. And everyone should pay attention to who is playing politics with this, and vote them all out because they obviously don't view us as a priority.

Think, Joe Rogan high
lNW5eJD.gif

Darkness falls
And countless frightened voices call
Of black despair, all light devoid
Empty voices
Screaming into the void.

Most republicans I know are caring more about health than the economy right now. Just the fact you mentioned "republican talking points", pretty much said it all. Fuck republicans, fuck democrats, we need to all be Americans right now. And everyone should pay attention to who is playing politics with this, and vote them all out because they obviously don't view us as a priority.

I'm just simply referring to the genesis of this talking point, which is from the president himself, his lackeys, and the business media, i.e. Republicans. Don't know why you get all worked up over this. They are the ones pushing this point.

lol @ killing yourself because of a shitty economy.

Weak

If they come up with a vaccine (or less likely, treatment) within 2 months, then this was all probably worth it. If not, it absolutely was not, because the virus will just be waiting to run its course like may be inevitable. If its inevitable, then obviously this was all terrible.

It's sad, but nature takes people out sometimes. Could be me; hope not. But it happens, and especially to already very sick and old people. It's kind of the natural order. Protecting very sick and old people by destroying the lives of healthy productive people is highly questionable, and excuse my crass honesty... I think this is more about not overwhelming our healthcare system and collapsing THAT, than maybe anything else.

Why even make the thread if no amount of logical and rational thought will change your mind? Your head is under water and you're just expressing your opinion with your ears covered. Really a waste of our time.

Why even make the thread if no amount of logical and rational thought will change your mind? Your head is under water and you're just expressing your opinion with your ears covered. Really a waste of our time.
That post was made at the very beginning of this whole ordeal, and I'm literally the only person on this entire board wise enough to listen to arguments and actually concede that I have changed my mind.

But hey, look who was first posing the question that everybody else started discussing a couple weeks later.... As usual. Of course it is still a balancing test which should be done without pleas to emotion and based fully on statistics. Yes, a complete collapse of the first worlds economy and a subsequent Chinese take-over or something of that nature would be worse than losing .1% of the population, the large majority old and already chronically ill.

If we can defeat this thing in a couple months and get out with only a recession, then of course it's the right thing.

That post was made at the very beginning of this whole ordeal, and I'm literally the only person on this entire board wise enough to listen to arguments and actually concede that I have changed my mind.

But hey, look who was first posing the question that everybody else started discussing a couple weeks later.... As usual. Of course it is still a balancing test which should be done without pleas to emotion and based fully on statistics. Yes, and complete collapse of the first worlds economy and a subsequent Chinese take-over or something of that nature would be worse than losing .1% of the population, the large majority old and already chronically ill.

If we can defeat this thing in a couple months and get out with only a recession, then of course it's the right thing.

I didn't see the date. Good for you

lol @ killing yourself because of a shitty economy.

Weak
I agree. I've been poorish for 8 years and it never crosses my mind. But I mean, this virus is killing a majority of people that are also weak, but not all. That said, the stress of losing everything you have built, your home and vehicles and savings etc.. can of course take YEARS off your life. Decades, really. So if more people lose more years from an economic collapse than from the virus, we should be careful how far we let it go. I can't shake the common sense and logic. I'm sorry.

But hey, look who was first posing the question that everybody else started discussing a couple weeks later.... As usual. Of course it is still a balancing test which should be done without pleas to emotion and based fully on statistics. Yes, a complete collapse of the first worlds economy and a subsequent Chinese take-over or something of that nature would be worse than losing .1% of the population, the large majority old and already chronically ill.

Props to you.

A few weeks ago (maybe a month) I was telling the one guy in our office who was seriously concerned that he was way overblowing it, etc. About 4 days later I said "Nope. I was wrong, way, way wrong." I was the second one in my office to bail and work from home.

We still have a few flu bros there, probably spreading that shit to their families.

Props to you.

A few weeks ago (maybe a month) I was telling the one guy in our office who was seriously concerned that he was way overblowing it, etc. About 4 days later I said "Nope. I was wrong, way, way wrong." I was the second one in my office to bail and work from home.

We still have a few flu bros there, probably spreading that shit to their families.
I'm still not on board with a 6 month lock-down that causes something worse than the Great depression. It would take more years off more peoples lives and cause as much misery as the tragic deaths caused by C-19. So I changed from my original stance a bit, but overall we need serious data to make some grown-up, non-political decisions.

Back