Opinion How many more deaths is an economic collapse/this panic going to cause than C-19 ever will?

How many more deaths will an extended severely damaged economy cause than the Corona-cold?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with his point, but he's talking about years of life lost.
So, if a healthy 20-year-old were to have his/her life completely derailed by the economic fallout of lockdown and killed himself as a result, you could estimate that his/her society would have lost somewhere between 50 and 80 years of life.

By that metric, losing one 20-year-old is a greater loss of life than losing 2-3 80-year-olds.

I am not sure he is taking into account the years of life that would be lost by a collapsed health system and a runaway virus that - due to sick leave and paranoia - would likely derail an economy anyway. Never mind the effect of a profound loss of faith in government institutions over the lack of political will to protect the health and wellbeing of the people.
It's a weird point to make. We have no idea what corona would do if left unchecked.
I do find it funny that some republicans are so worried about the economy that they feel we should just let a bunch of people die to preserve muh economies. The same people who do everything possible to ensure the shitty us hc system. Strange priorities.

It's a weird point to make. We have no idea what corona would do if left unchecked.
I do find it funny that some republicans are so worried about the economy that they feel we should just let a bunch of people die to preserve muh economies. The same people who do everything possible to ensure the shitty us hc system. Strange priorities.

The rich will benefit enormously from this shutdown. They will buy up all the dead assets. Thus gaining an even stronger chokehold on the power.

You are about to witness wealth disparity not scene in at least a century.

The rich will benefit enormously from this shutdown. They will buy up all the dead assets. Thus gaining an even stronger chokehold on the power.

They still have to convince everybody to keep working for them.

That´s not really new. Just look at the last tax plan.

The last option in the poll...it did not age well...

Huh? We would definently see more deaths from corona.
Depends on the level of sustained damage to the economy. A person who loses their work who never really recovers dies at 55 instead of 82, with their life sucking much more. An 82 year old with diabetes gets C-19 and dies 1 month later. You aren't counting the 25 years of life lost for the 30 year old.

That´s not really new. Just look at the last tax plan.

Actually, the gap started to narrow for the first time in awhile. Lower wages were outpacing those at the top finally

That dream is gone now. These actions have/will force a redistribution of assets like we never dreamed

The either/or scenario being presented...I don't get it.

Or...let me ask it this way of those who are more concerned with the economic impact of the current restrictions. What do you think is the appropriate course of action that should be taken right now. I understand it's a moving target and your answer could change in a week (or hell in a day) but RIGHT NOW what do you think we should be doing?

Let's start there.

The either/or scenario being presented...I don't get it.

Or...let me ask it this way of those who are more concerned with the economic impact of the current restrictions. What do you think is the appropriate course of action that should be taken right now. I understand it's a moving target and your answer could change in a week (or hell in a day) but RIGHT NOW what do you think we should be doing?

Let's start there.

Yeah, the right thing to do for the economy is the same as the right thing to do for public health.

http://www.igmchicago.org/surveys/policy-for-the-covid-19-crisis/

I think it is funny that the pro-life party seems not to be pro-life anymore.

Do you have any estimates at all to show how much more would die then normally die ?

2.8 million die a year
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201

Is the China virus killing people that would under normal circumstance be fine long term or is it killing mostly those that would have died anyway aka the ones with multiple serious medical conditions.

This is why politicians are never selfless. If you do all the right things, you have a bunch of morons that think it was all pointless. It's the complete absence of abstract thinking. If they can't see millions of dead bodies in the street, then it was a hoax. Literally cannot comprehend that by mitigating the cause, you have mitigated the effect. All they can see if the economic damage, since it is the only thing that is presently real.

Doesn't affect the point. It would be nice if we didn't have a corrupt moron for a president and we had testing in place to do track and trace instead of a broad shutdown, but given where we are now, just saying fuck it would be worse for the economy than temporarily doing shelter in place.

Well it was made at the very beginning, and as usual it was an introduction to a concept that people started talking about a few weeks later. I've changed my tune on the virus a bit, but at the same time the discussion and potential for what I was saying in the first place is looking more realistic every day. So some of the points I made were incorrect, but the main point is very relevant.

Nah it’s your views are trash.

Nah it’s your views are trash.
Like this one, which I had and everybody else followed suit 1-2-3 weeks later? As usual?

Your views are trash. I mean that sincerely. Once in a while you get lucky and I'll agree with a tid-bit here, or snippet there, but overall you are terrible. I mean, my take here is turning out to be almost prophetic as it becomes more widely accepted, but that's ok. Flail away.

Like this one, which I had and everybody else followed suit 1-2-3 weeks later? As usual?

Your views are trash. I mean that sincerely. Once in a while you get lucky and I'll agree with a tid-bit here, or snippet there, but overall you are terrible. I mean, my take here is turning out to be almost prophetic as it becomes more widely accepted, but that's ok. Flail away.

All your views are trash

Back