Opinion How many more deaths is an economic collapse/this panic going to cause than C-19 ever will?

How many more deaths will an extended severely damaged economy cause than the Corona-cold?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good indeed for everyone to get a glimpse of what life would be like under a green leap forward. Economy tanking, mass unemployment and reliance on unsustainable handouts, printing money, restricted travel, death panels, shortages. Glad you can admit that this is what green dream advocates are pushing for permanently.

Well you can unclench your butthole because the people actually driving the "revolution" don't want any of those things. They are scientists, corperations, money managers, federal government agencies, and citizens who simply wish for a non intrusive free market led transition to cheap electrification and renewables, and are making it happen at an ever accelerating rate.

You should spend less time fretting over millenial bartenders and teenage activists and more time looking at actual innovators and leaders in the industry. You'll see a future of cheap energy led economic expansion, new employment fields and opportunites, increased affordable efficient travel and more overall positive health outcomes for people globally. The exact opposite of all the silly shit you just listed..

Hoarders deserve to get corona and/or robbed of everything they have, imo.

You're a typically unprepared European idiot.

And I say that because I see that everywhere I go in Europe. Tiny little pantry. Tiny little fridge. You guys go to the store at LEAST 2-3x per week.

When crisis hits you HAVE to hoard shit. Because what you consider hoarding is what I consider normal every day preparation.

I never mentioned "hoarding" in my previous post. I said that if you don't have 90 days of food and supplies for your family you should be ashamed. And that immediately generated your response of, HOARDING! Bro, that's called being prepared. And you can have that 90 day supply exactly 365 days a year. So you don't get caught with your pants down.

Which, coincidentally, Europeans are doing.

My next door neighbor is a German. She has been literally CRYING to my wife. She doesn't know what to do. Boo hoo. She is panicked.

I was like....LOL. Go to the fucking store and buy shit. It's too easy. Don't go to the store every couple of days and hope they have what you need. A month ago I told my wife to make sure the shelves were stocked. She dropped another few hundred on canned goods, rice, and durables. The neighbor saw the exact same thing. She didn't do anything. Now they just dropped some curfews and restrictions and she absolutely panicked.

I just moved from Vermont where you would routinely lose power for days at a time or be snowed into your home for a week or more. You know you need to be prepared. It ain't always sunshine outside.

I mean seriously....is it hoarding when you keep your car's gas tank full or should you drive around at a 1/4 tank all the time? Should I keep my bank account as close to zero as I can so people don't think I am hoarding money?

LOL.

FFS - people are generally stupid. Stress the system just a little bit and people are panicky little creatures.

BTW - normal storage for me in Vermont was something like 50k rounds of ammo. Is that hoarding or being prepared?

And I say that because I see that everywhere I go in Europe. Tiny little pantry. Tiny little fridge. You guys go to the store at LEAST 2-3x per week.

When crisis hits you HAVE to hoard shit. Because what you consider hoarding is what I consider normal every day preparation.

I never mentioned "hoarding" in my previous post. I said that if you don't have 90 days of food and supplies for your family you should be ashamed. And that immediately generated your response of, HOARDING! Bro, that's called being prepared. And you can have that 90 day supply exactly 365 days a year. So you don't get caught with your pants down.

My next door neighbor is a German. She has been literally CRYING to my wife. She doesn't know what to do. Boo hoo. She is panicked.

I was like....LOL. Go to the fucking store and buy shit. It's too easy. Don't go to the store every couple of days and hope they have what you need. A month ago I told my wife to make sure the shelves were stocked. She dropped another few hundred on canned goods, rice, and durables. The neighbor saw the exact same thing. She didn't do anything. Now they just dropped some curfews and restrictions and she absolutely panicked.

I just moved from Vermont where you would routinely lose power for days at a time or be snowed into your home for a week or more. You know you need to be prepared. It ain't always sunshine outside.

I mean seriously....is it hoarding when you keep your car's gas tank full or should you drive around at a 1/4 tank all the time? Should I keep my bank account as close to zero as I can so people don't think I am hoarding money?

LOL.

FFS - people are generally stupid. Stress the system just a little bit and people are panicky little creatures.

BTW - normal storage for me in Vermont was something like 50k rounds of ammo. Is that hoarding or being prepared?
I'm not panicking because there is no food shortage. Hoarders are just selfish morons unnecessarily burdening the supply chains and the people who have to work the stores. I don't get why you think I'm in panic mode, I'm not in panic mode at all.

Fact is, hoarders will not survive society turning into a jungle, their rolls of toilet paper isn't going to stop people from busting open their door/heads when shit hits the fan.

Not all of us are scared little hillbillies always """prepared""" for the endtimes.

I'm not panicking because there is no food shortage. Hoarders are just selfish morons unnecessarily burdening the supply chains and the people who have to work the stores. I don't get why you think I'm in panic mode, I'm not in panic mode at all.

Fact is, hoarders will not survive society turning into a jungle, their rolls of toilet paper isn't going to stop people from busting open their door/heads when shit hits the fan.

Not all of us are scared little hillbillies always """prepared""" for the endtimes.

Prepared people are usually smarter and...wait for it....more prepared than the rest of you. And that translates to just about everything. Showing up to "bust open their heads/doors" usually means they are showing up to someone who is probably PREPARED for that. Good luck with your strategy.

1) How much savings do you have? How many months of savings does that equal? 1? 2? 3? My guess is less than 3. Probably 1.
2) How much physical cash do you have? When the banks shut down you are going to be SOL. My guess is you have less than 500 Euro.
3) How much food do you have? The supply chain is broken. Hoping that stores stay open is awfully risky. My guess is you have less than 30 days of food - much less toiletries, medicine, etc.

I've brought these observations up on this forum a number of times.

What I think you are feeling is the fear that what I am saying is true. It isn't hoarding - it's called being prepared.

You remind me of Aesop's fable about the ant and the grasshopper.

Prepared people are usually smarter and...wait for it....more prepared than the rest of you. And that translates to just about everything.

1) How much savings do you have? How many months of savings does that equal? 1? 2? 3? My guess is less than 3. Probably 1.
2) How much physical cash do you have? When the banks shut down you are going to be SOL. My guess is you have less than 500 Euro.
3) How much food do you have? The supply chain is broken. Hoping that stores stay open is awfully risky. My guess is you have less than 30 days of food - much less toiletries, medicine, etc.

I've brought these observations up on this forum a number of times.

What I think you are feeling is the fear that what I am saying is true. It isn't hoarding - it's called being prepared.

You remind me of Aesop's fable about the ant and the grasshopper.

How exactly is it being prepared when at the last minute, when there's no indication there will be food shortages and literally everyone knowledgeable is advising against it, they start hoarding stuff? It's a short sighted panic reaction, people are worse than the virus, all your scenarios are just your sad little wet dream because you're a hillbilly living in the middle of nowhere, some shitty flyover state I'm sure.

How exactly is it being prepared when at the last minute, when there's no indication there will be food shortages and literally everyone knowledgeable is advising against it, they start hoarding stuff? It's a short sighted panic reaction, people are worse than the virus, all your scenarios are just your sad little wet dream because you're a hillbilly living in the middle of nowhere, some shitty flyover state I'm sure.

You know I am in Europe, right?

LOL.

not that you asked, give a fuck, should ask, and/or should give a fuck, what you wrote expresses the thoughtless, illogic and lack of empathy of citizens, society and the media (which mostly comprise of the mob,) man.

no one should hoard. hoarding should be disallowed. it is selfish and an utter lack of concern for others in general and leaves nothing for others while those, who are hoarding, merely stockpile. moreover, they are stockpiling in case whatever they stockpiled is needed. they don't even necessarily need what they hoarded. the items are just arbitrarily and thoughtlessly bought and hoarded. decisions should be decided based upon the circumstances and through reasoning.

also, your attempts to analogize the snow circumstances in vermont is a false analogy fallacy. they are hardly equal in components to draw an logical comparison between them to use as support in an attempt to present a claim.

hoarding perpetuates the overall problem and is a huge problem itself in such circumstances. whack ass shit.

It's getting messy out there all right and most of that is the people and not the virus. Hopefully it'll teach people to keep a few months worth of food/supplies around, just in case. For me, I always have a few months worth of beans, rice, and tinned goods kicking and just keep cycling through it and replacing in normal use. It doesn't even take THAT much space. When things started to go down I bought one extra pack of toilet paper, three big heads of cabbage, and an extra big block of cheese. That's the extent of my hoarding. If the fresh veggies run out I guess it's on to tinned and frozen.

Money could be tricky though. While we have savings that will last a year or more, if it came down to it, that is our savings... We were hoping to not wipe them out in a crisis. My wife's work is stable for the time being but who knows what happens, and her being involved in oil and gas makes it particularly troublesome at the moment. This will put a lot of people in tough spots and I genuinely do feel for a lot of them.

not that you asked, give a fuck, should ask, and/or should give a fuck, what you wrote expresses the thoughtless, illogic and lack of empathy of citizens, society and the media (which mostly comprise of the mob,) man.

no one should hoard. hoarding should be disallowed. it is selfish and an utter lack of concern for others in general and leaves nothing for others while those, who are hoarding, merely stockpile. moreover, they are stockpiling in case whatever they stockpiled is needed. they don't even necessarily need what they hoarded. the items are just arbitrarily and thoughtlessly bought and hoarded. decisions should be decided based upon the circumstances and through reasoning.

also, your attempts to analogize the snow circumstances in vermont is a false analogy fallacy. they are hardly equal in components to draw an logical comparison between them to use as support in an attempt to present a claim.

hoarding perpetuates the overall problem and is a huge problem itself in such circumstances. whack ass shit.

This is an absolutely horrible take. The problem is not people "hoarding". The problem is everyone panic buying all at once. To Stoic's point if people had already been prepared then there wouldnt be such panic and stores would not be empty. On top of that people would be in a position to help each other instead of just focusing on their own survival. Supply chains wouldnt be threatened. And there wouldnt be this collective fear and panic of millions of people.

The lesson everyone should take from this is simple: BE PREPARED.

I give a fuck, dont sell yourself short.

First, I think you should roll back this thread to my original comment. It has nothing to do with hoarding. I said that if you don't have 90 days worth of supplies/food or whatever for your family you should be ashamed.

I can buy and keep anything I want. If I had 90 days worth of shit 6 months ago nobody would care.....right? What if I had 180 days of shit?

What exactly is the difference between 1) Hoarding 2) Stockpiling 3) Being prepared?

Now back to the Vermont analogy. The example is the MINDSET of someone who understands that you might not be able to go to the store 2-3 times per week the way these Europeans do. You set in for the long haul. You don't chop wood in the wintertime as you need it. You chop, stack, and season it. You know your power is going to go out so you have a generator and fuel. The Vermont analogy is actually perfect - being prepared isn't hoarding. It's KNOWING that the environment is going to change and you need to be ready.

You guys are just mad about people emptying shelves. I don't give a fuck about those people. They are stupid. Panic buyers who upset the DELICATE balance neccessary to sustain you guys who go shopping every 2-3 days. You guys deserve each other. NEITHER OF YOU can possibly entertain the concept that shit might hit the fan - you might get snowed in, your power might fail, there might be a pandemic.

But your anger of how should people SHOULD act and what they SHOULD do and how terrible these people are? Laughable. I am fucking happy for all of it. The fistfights over toilet paper is hillarious. Don't put yourself in that situation, ya know?

I don't drive around with the fuel light on all the time and then get angry when I run out of gas because the first petrol station I come across is empty. It's a mentality that every day is sunshine without any concept that tornadoes exist. Well guys - I'll bet you learn.

And those of you making assumptions that the shelves are gonna stay filled if everyone would just settle down? Well - I hope you're right. For your sake. I won't sweat it.

Last edited:
This is an absolutely horrible take. The problem is not people "hoarding". The problem is everyone panic buying all at once. To Stoic's point if people had already been prepared then there wouldnt be such panic and stores would not be empty. On top of that people would be in a position to help each other instead of just focusing on their own survival. Supply chains wouldnt be threatened. And there wouldnt be this collective fear and panic of millions of people.

The lesson everyone should take from this is simple: BE PREPARED.

"absolute horrible take," yet you deny hoarding is a problem, but don't write any support to your claim. you then change the subject and focus on "buying all at once." that's also another issue. there are multi issues.

this is the problem with sherdog and forums in general. anyone can type whatever, regardless of exercising reason or not and yet claim to and chime in on such subjects.

the species is doomed.

LOL.

The problem with these "hoarders" or "prepared" like you said . You will the real savages in the world who are going to take your shit forcefully. At that point, only the strong and ruthless survive .

And those of you making assumptions that the shelves are gonna stay filled if everyone would just settle down? Well - I hope you're right. For your sake. I won't sweat it.

Buddy business is good right now, my local butcher is killing it right now in both meanings of the word. And no food supply is not gonna die due to a virus that takes out mostly old and weak people.

Filthy commie made shit won't be stocked, but most nations can sustain themselves.

Just as a point of reference

gZDTEDR.jpg

In 11 days we went from 546 cases to 24,142 (A 4,421% increase)
22 deaths to 288. (A 1,309% increase)

Ill post again in 11 days

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

"absolute horrible take," yet you deny hoarding is a problem, but don't write any support to your claim. you then change the subject and focus on "buying all at once." that's also another issue. there are multi issues.

this is the problem with sherdog and forums in general. anyone can type whatever, regardless of exercising reason or not and yet claim to and chime in on such subjects.

the species is doomed.

Theres a reason i put hoarding in quotes...I dont share your definition of it. People who frantically stocking on food and supplies for a few weeks/months are not hoarding. They are getting prepared the best they can. The reason I mentioned panic buying is because that is the issue that were facing now. You spoke on what you thought the problem was. I explained why that wasnt a problem and then explained what the problem actually was.

Thats a normal exchange man lol. Im not sure why you're acting like Im out of bounds or not being rational or something.

I give a fuck, dont sell yourself short.

First, I think you should roll back this thread to my original comment. It has nothing to do with hoarding. I said that if you don't have 90 days worth of supplies/food or whatever for your family you should be ashamed.

I can buy and keep anything I want. If I had 90 days worth of shit 6 months ago nobody would care.....right? What if I had 180 days of shit?

What exactly is the difference between 1) Hoarding 2) Stockpiling 3) Being prepared?

Now back to the Vermont analogy. The example is the MINDSET of someone who understands that you might be able to go to the store 2-3 times per week the way these Europeans do. You set in for the long haul. You don't chop wood in the wintertime as you need it. You chop, stack, and season it. You know your power is going to go out so you have a generator and fuel. The Vermont analogy is actually perfect - being prepared isn't hoarding. It's KNOWING that the environment is going to change and you need to be ready.

You guys are just mad about people emptying shelves. I don't give a fuck about those people. They are stupid. Panic buyers who upset the DELICATE balance neccessary to sustain you guys who go shopping every 2-3 days. You guys deserve each other. NEITHER OF YOU can possibly entertain the concept that shit might hit the fan - you might get snowed in, your power might fail, there might be a pandemic.

But your anger of how should people SHOULD act and what they SHOULD do and how terrible these people are? Laughable. I am fucking happy for all of it. The fistfights over toilet paper is hillarious. Don't put yourself in that situation, ya know?

I don't drive around with the fuel light on all the time and then get angry when I run out of gas because the first petrol station I come across is empty. It's a mentality that every day is sunshine without any concept that tornadoes exist. Well guys - I'll bet you learn.

appreciate the first two paragraphs, man, but the perspective of "I can buy and keep anything I want" is so unreasonable during such circumstances. when you write about "if I had 90 days worth of shit 6 months ago..." you are only adding evidence to the argument, which I am subscribing. it is in these very contexts of extremes that such aforesaid actions of hoarding is even more unreasonable and should not be allowed.

when society, government and (political) state are seemingly going along fine, people in general take shit for granted. so, hoarding doesn't seem to be that much of an issue and isn't that much of an issue because the rest of the balance of economics, government, society and state seem to continue with not much of an interruption. it seems to be only when there are extreme situations that such actions perpetuate the overall problem, serve as a catalyst and cause other problems.

well, you should define the terms that you are using, man. that would allow you and anyone else to try to use them accurately and according to definitions that are in this specific convo.

dude, the vermont analogy is flawed at its base. you write about that specific actions are done in the context of snowstorms and vermont that are based on the past (previous snowstorms and similar circumstances.) this current context of the coronavirus is hardly like any previous event in the past how ever many years. moreover, citizens, society and even those, who work in various levels of the gov, are not aware of what is going to happen as the present is continually unfolding. hardly anyone is aware of what actions will be executed next. so, the act of hoarding immediately is not necessarily helpful and/or reasonable. people are stockpiling just to have shit, rather than seemingly form their decisions according to context. again, the circumstances in snowstorms/vermont are not similar to draw logical comparisons to the circumstances of the coronavirus.

please, don't write as if you are aware of how I feel and my perspectives if I have not written them in these posts. you are merely strawmanning when you do so. you also blatantly yet again express another claim in my argument about the lack of empathy and care for others. you call others "stupid" and "don't care about them." that is alarming. in an emergency situation that is affecting everyone more/less in general, that is your mentality. scary. if this were to be a genocide, your same, aforementioned illogic would be, "fuck everyone else. I don't care. they're dumb. I'm doing what I choose to do."

The problem with these "hoarders" or "prepared" like you said . You will the real savages in the world who are going to take your shit forcefully. At that point, only the strong and ruthless survive .

That's the thing.

People who are prepared have usually thought this out. They aren't reactive. They are proactive.

I'm not sure who you think these "real savages" are. I can only imagine. But I would think their type would go after the easy prey first. Coming after someone who is prepared?

Well...

Theres a reason i put hoarding in quotes...I dont share your definition of it. People who frantically stocking on food and supplies for a few weeks/months are not hoarding. They are getting prepared the best they can. The reason I mentioned panic buying is because that is the issue that were facing now. You spoke on what you thought the problem was. I explained why that wasnt a problem and then explained what the problem actually was.

Thats a normal exchange man lol. Im not sure why you're acting like Im out of bounds or not being rational or something.

a "normal exchange" according to you is to bash someone else's perspective without providing evidence for the bashing? that's irrational as is bashing in general. there is a difference between logically countering a perspective and just dismissing it.

well, just like any standard attempt to argue, debate, write a scholarly paper and so on, define terms. so, what is "hoarding" to you like stoic1 was writing apropos of that term and two others?

how is "frantically stocking on food and supplies for a few weeks/months...getting prepared the best the can?" You don't explain why. US citizens in general have been allowed to go to supermarkets, food stores and the like for the past several weeks. Additionally, companies have been and are continuing to distribute and stock their stores. Why "frantically buy" in such aforesaid circumstances? There is plenty for everyone with no shortage. Moreover, people are not aware of what is to come. Suppose, lockdowns cease in a week, several and so on? Suppose stores remain open with inventory and distribution?

People are thoughtlessly acting, and you have not even come close to justifying such aforementioned actions, nor acknowledging how irrational they are.

appreciate the first two paragraphs, man, but the perspective of "I can buy and keep anything I want" is so unreasonable during such circumstances. when you write about "if I had 90 days worth of shit 6 months ago..." you are only adding evidence to the argument, which I am subscribing. it is in these very contexts of extremes that such aforesaid actions of hoarding is even more unreasonable and should not be allowed.

when society, government and (political) state are seemingly going along fine, people in general take shit for granted. so, hoarding doesn't seem to be that much of an issue and isn't that much of an issue because the rest of the balance of economics, government, society and state seem to continue with not much of an interruption. it seems to be only when there are extreme situations that such actions perpetuate the overall problem, serve as a catalyst and cause other problems.

well, you should define the terms that you are using, man. that would allow you and anyone else to try to use them accurately and according to definitions that are in this specific convo.

dude, the vermont analogy is flawed at its base. you write about that specific actions are done in the context of snowstorms and vermont that are based on the past (previous snowstorms and similar circumstances.) this current context of the coronavirus is hardly like any previous event in the past how ever many years. moreover, citizens, society and even those, who work in various levels of the gov, are not aware of what is going to happen as the present is continually unfolding. hardly anyone is aware of what actions will be executed next. so, the act of hoarding immediately is not necessarily helpful and/or reasonable. people are stockpiling just to have shit, rather than seemingly form their decisions according to context. again, the circumstances in snowstorms/vermont are not similar to draw logical comparisons to the circumstances of the coronavirus.

please, don't write as if you are aware of how I feel and my perspectives if I have not written them in these posts. you are merely strawmanning when you do so. you also blatantly yet again express another claim in my argument about the lack of empathy and care for others. you call others "stupid" and "don't care about them." that is alarming. in an emergency situation that is affecting everyone more/less in general, that is your mentality. scary. if this were to be a genocide, your illogic would be, "fuck everyone else. I don't care. they're dumb. I'm doing what I choose to do."

LOL, I'm not here to take care of you.

I have no obligation to subsidize the populace at large and that seems to be the underlying argument here. I am the ant and you are the grasshopper.

I was around when SARS hit.

I saw the economic disaster of 2008.

I've been watching Venezuala slowly fall into the Lord of the Flies.

I assume you did to. Don't pull that shit about Vermont extreme conditions being utterly routine but NOOOOOOBODY could have foreseen this corona virus coming. And don't try to demonize me for being prepared, stock piling, or in your mind "hoarding". I owe it to my family to prepare. It wasn't like I went out yesterday and emptied the stores.

Hell - I save my money too. For emergencies. Don't be hatin' me for it. Live and learn.

Also, I want you to read this. Your own words and how hypocritical you sound:

"you are merely strawmanning when you do so. you also blatantly yet again express another claim in my argument about the lack of empathy and care for others. you call others "stupid" and "don't care about them." that is alarming. in an emergency situation that is affecting everyone more/less in general, that is your mentality. scary. if this were to be a genocide, your illogic would be, "fuck everyone else. I don't care. they're dumb. I'm doing what I choose to do."

Hey guy - this isn't a genocide. This is an entirely predictable event. I'm glad this pandemic isn't worse than it is. You will (99%) likely live through it and probably be more prepared. Hopefully everyone else will too. If they don't? Fuck em. Let them run around Walmart fighting over the last roll of toilet paper again.

LOL, I'm not here to take care of you.

I have no obligation to subsidize the populace at large and that seems to be the underlying argument here. I am the ant and you are the grasshopper.

I was around when SARS hit.

I saw the economic disaster of 2008.

I've been watching Venezuala slowly fall into the Lord of the Flies.

I assume you did to. Don't pull that shit about Vermont extreme conditions being utterly routine but NOOOOOOBODY could have foreseen this corona virus coming. And don't try to demonize me for being prepared, stock piling, or in your mind "hoarding". I owe it to my family to prepare.

Hell - I save my money too. For emergencies. Don't be hatin' me for it. Live and learn.

Also, I want you to read this. Your own words and how hypocritical you sound:

"you are merely strawmanning when you do so. you also blatantly yet again express another claim in my argument about the lack of empathy and care for others. you call others "stupid" and "don't care about them." that is alarming. in an emergency situation that is affecting everyone more/less in general, that is your mentality. scary. if this were to be a genocide, your illogic would be, "fuck everyone else. I don't care. they're dumb. I'm doing what I choose to do."

Hey guy - this isn't a genocide. This is an entirely predictable event. I'm glad this pandemic isn't worse than it is. You will (99%) likely live through it and probably be more prepared. Hopefully everyone else will too. If they don't? Fuck em. Let them run around Walmart fighting over the last roll of toilet paper again.

yeah, the perspectives that you convey in your writing consists of such a lack of concern and empathy for others.

you don't seem to understand that this situation of the coronavirus is not predictable in terms of how this will go (which it will most likely go somewhere.) you're merely just assuming that this is already laid out more/less. are you not aware that this is an unfolding scenario of which there is little past events to which to relate it? additionally, depending upon decisions and actions (starting when china announced the virus,) alter how history unfolds and the route of of the virus affects the people world?

yeah, do you not understand that when you write claims as if they were mine when I did not write them and/or convey them, then you respond to the very claims that you invented as mine and distort my position, that that is a strawman? conversely, I merely extracted the illogic that you wrote in your words in your posts and implanted it in another scenario. I did not invent how you were feeling, and/or what you were thinking, then write responses to such feelings and/or thoughts as if they were yours when you never wrote, nor expressed them.

"an entirely predictable event" is an objectively wrong statement. there might be aspects that can be predicted, which happen to turn out as accurate, but there are so many variables that modify the overall circumstances of the coronavirus and the people world.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back