Opinion How many more deaths is an economic collapse/this panic going to cause than C-19 ever will?

How many more deaths will an extended severely damaged economy cause than the Corona-cold?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If they come up with a vaccine (or less likely, treatment) within 2 months, then this was all probably worth it. If not, it absolutely was not, because the virus will just be waiting to run its course like may be inevitable. If its inevitable, then obviously this was all terrible.

It's sad, but nature takes people out sometimes. Could be me; hope not. But it happens, and especially to already very sick and old people. It's kind of the natural order. Protecting very sick and old people by destroying the lives of healthy productive people is highly questionable, and excuse my crass honesty... I think this is more about not overwhelming our healthcare system and collapsing THAT, than maybe anything else.

What's going on in Italy alone means all efforts need to be practiced to stop this.

What sort of people would sacrifice the elderly for a healthy economy? Them old fuckers help build the world we live in. They deserve all the help we can give at any cost.

What incentives will any of us have looking into our own futures if we know the middle finger will repay you for all you've given.

What's going on in Italy alone means all efforts need to be practiced to stop this.

What sort of people would sacrifice the elderly for a healthy economy? Them old fuckers help build the world we live in. They deserve all the help we can give at any cost.

What incentives will any of us have looking into our own futures if we know the middle finger will repay you for all you've given.

Destroying society isnt going to help the elderly. Neither is putting us all under the greatest collective experience of human stress and panic ever witnessed.

Destroying society isnt going to help the elderly. Neither is putting us all under the greatest collective experience of human stress and panic ever witnessed.
I'm sat up at home not stressed or panicked. On 14 days working from home.
Perhaps stop watching the news.

Follow the government guidelines and look after any elderly close by.
Your a religious man right?

Aye but I would not expect some miracle.

Then they are going to have to produce it and rush it to market. A vaccine does not mean we will all be vaccinated.

Do they have the capacity to produce a vaccine in such numbers or the ability to deliver it?
You are absolutely right about that. Producing and distributing it will take months. If we can shorten the number of months though, it could potentially save lives.

thats not the part that delays a vaccine. its the 12+ month long wait after the trial.
Yeah, and I think due to how unprecedented this situation is, I think we may some red tape cut to reduce that time.

You are absolutely right about that. Producing and distributing it will take months. If we can shorten the number of months though, it could potentially save lives.
Most scientists agree 12 months minimal

I dont think people really understand what dire straits people are in right now with everything shut down. The idea that were just going to send everyone a check to cover their bills is not going to work.
And its insulting. And some of these people consider themselves free. And some of them consider themselves men.

If they come up with a vaccine (or less likely, treatment) within 2 months, then this was all probably worth it. If not, it absolutely was not, because the virus will just be waiting to run its course like may be inevitable. If its inevitable, then obviously this was all terrible.

It's sad, but nature takes people out sometimes. Could be me; hope not. But it happens, and especially to already very sick and old people. It's kind of the natural order. Protecting very sick and old people by destroying the lives of healthy productive people is highly questionable, and excuse my crass honesty... I think this is more about not overwhelming our healthcare system and collapsing THAT, than maybe anything else.
A viable vaccine has most likely already been developed, as several firms are racing to deliver it. The problem is completing all the clinical trials before it gets approval. Moderna just began its phase 1 testing, which means a handful of volunteers receive it. If it passes, it moves onto phase 2 which expands the testing pool to hundreds of individuals. Then phase 3 which is thousands.

This process takes months. The most optimistic estimate for public rollout is 12 months.

And then comes the supply shortages. The majority of the world's viral vaccines are manufactured in China. I'm sure they would want to prioritize their own citizens to receive it first, so that's another obstacle. There are only so many labs in the world that can manufacture vaccines on a large scale.

I'm sat up at home not stressed or panicked. On 14 days working from home.
Perhaps stop watching the news.

What about those who are not getting a paycheck anymore but still have bills to pay, kids to feed, property to maintain? Will not watching the news relief their stress?

Follow the government guidelines and look after any elderly close by.

Shit advice

Your a religious man right?

No. But I do believe in the scriptures if thats what you mean.

A viable vaccine has most likely already been developed, as several firms are racing to deliver it. The problem is completing all the clinical trials before it gets approval. Moderna just began its phase 1 testing, which means a handful of volunteers receive it. If it passes, it moves onto phase 2 which expands the testing pool to hundreds of individuals. Then phase 3 which is thousands.

This process takes months. The most optimistic estimate for public rollout is 12 months.

And then comes the supply shortages. The majority of the world's viral vaccines are manufactured in China. I'm sure they would want to prioritize their own citizens to receive it first, so that's another obstacle. There are only so many labs in the world that can manufacture vaccines on a large scale.

This is the reality of the vaccine situation.

And its insulting. And some of these people consider themselves free. And some of them consider themselves men.
There is no good solution to this problem.

What about those who are not getting a paycheck anymore but still have bills to pay, kids to feed, property to maintain? Will not watching the news relief their stress?

Shit advice

No. But I do believe in the scriptures if thats what you mean.
We have totally different perspectives on how we live.
I don't think I'm right or your wrong.
But to me, people struggling is less important than saving life.

If 12 months is accurate (I think a streamlined process could speed it up quite a bit) then I think most of what we are doing now is completely pointless. The virus will survive and run its course, taking out mostly elderly and infirm. It's sad, but it may be inevitable. This may just be a virus we have to deal with now. We cannot "quarantine" for 12 months. Can not happen. Then the poll option would have to start at 500,000 and go up to 20 million.

If 12 months is accurate (I think a streamlined process could speed it up quite a bit) then I think most of what we are doing now is completely pointless. The virus will survive and run its course, taking out mostly elderly and infirm. It's sad, but it may be inevitable. This may just be a virus we have to deal with now. We cannot "quarantine" for 12 months. Can not happen. Then the poll option would have to start at 500,000 and go up to 20 million.
We do not have to quarantine until the vaccine is available. A few weeks is all it takes. This allows for the incubation period to conclude so carriers are identified and treated. Once they are all properly quarantined, the risk to the population is severely diminished and we can resume our lives (with some additional cautionary measures).

This is why panic was not an overreaction. The sooner the government response, the sooner we could have resolved this. We should have been taking these measures a month ago, but of course, we're too stubborn and shortsighted.

We do not have to quarantine until the vaccine is available. A few weeks is all it takes. This allows for the incubation period to conclude so carriers are identified and treated. Once they are all properly quarantined, the risk to the population is severely diminished and we can resume our lives (with some additional cautionary measures).

This is why panic was not an overreaction. The sooner the government response, the sooner we could have resolved this. We should have been taking these measures a month ago, but of course, we're too stubborn and shortsighted.
We better hope this virus works in seasons the same way the flu does. It's not going to be quarantined away. We aren't good enough at it. The end of the "flu season" quickly approaches, and hopefully that's all the time we need.

I've heard that this doesn't survive the heat well. Some experts say it does and others say it doesn't. Impossible to know who to believe anymore, but I'm more inclined to think that it doesn't, it makes more sense. Those who want this pandemic to continue for political reasons are more likely to exaggerate it's impact and how durable the virus is

Italy has a lot of old people who go out to places with and where young people are. That's actually different than America. You don't see 80 year old grandma at Starbacks with liberal glasses b*tch very often here. Most years Italy does that better.

You sometimes say things that have me wondering where the hell you got that. What can you possibly be talking about? "Old people go to the same things young people do in Italy. It's not like that here in the states".

Really??? What are you basing this on ?

I've heard that this doesn't survive the heat well. Some experts say it does and others say it doesn't. Impossible to know who to believe anymore, but I'm more inclined to think that it doesn't, it makes more sense. Those who want this pandemic to continue for political reasons are more likely to exaggerate it's impact and how durable the virus is
This disease is sweeping across Southeast Asia right now, and the daily highs are in the 90's.

It's true that airborne viruses don't travel far in warmer air, but people are still dropping in the tropics.

Back