• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How is Khabib viewed in Russia?

For being thuggish? I thought russian men like all macho bullshit.
Well, if you're bullying someone all by yourself, you're macho. But guys from Caucasus are known to gang up on single men as was evident when Khabib and his entourage moved in on Lobov. That kinda shit is frowned upon here.

Source on Khabib's uncles marrying Ukrainian women? That's pretty interesting, might explain why Khabib's cousin Muhammad with the Ukraine jacket looks like Alex Ovechkin

Khabib's father, several interviews.

Also the new tribute movie about Abdulmanap after his death, where both of his brothers speak.

That's also where they say that one of them already moved back do Dagestan with family, while the other one is going to move soon.

i remember when fedor was getting ready to fight arlovski, and fedor mentioned something about how arlovski isn't really russian, or how he's something different to what other russians are. i am guessing he's differentiating between ethnic slavs like himself, and the darker haired and skinned russians like arlovski. even among certain oblasts within russia, i'm sure there are huge differences in people and demeanor.
Arlovski is Belarussian which is it's own country. He is not Russian at all.

Feel weird to write about this at Sherdog. But I just read so much Bullshit, it's hard to keep quiet :p

About different ethnic groups:

You can not just put all people in caucasus into one pile, there are differences between different groups. Within Dagestan alone the are 20 major ethnic groups who more or less dislike each other. They all speak different languages and there are sunis, shias, christians and even freakin' mountain jews there.

Republic of Dagestan was created 1921 by the soviet as an administrative region, so there is no historic country of Dagestan. Before Russia came to Dagestan, there was no national state there, but a bunch of warring tribes. The society was barely at feudal level of development at that point in time.

When it comes to relations with Russia they are also different between different ethnic groups. Chechens had an independence war recently, which they lost and some of those warbands turned to crime and terrorism instead. So the mutual dislike is there, even though I have met plenty of Chechen both in Russia and abroad and you don't notice it on 1 v 1 relations. Kadyrov is the compromise, he keeps order Chechniya in exchange for money and high level of autonomy within Russia.

When it comes to for instance Ossetians, they are loyal towards Russia. Dagestan is loyal towards Russia, because without Russia Dagestan will go back to tribal warfare. The only thing keeping Dagestan together is Russia.

During the Chechen wars, Chenchniya at one point declared Emirate of Caucasus and claimed all muslim republics of Caucasus. First place rebels/terrorists (depends on who's side you're on) went into was Dagestan. Dagestanis met them with force and fought them back, because they did not want to be part of Caucasus emirate under Chechens.

Russians are nationalistic, yes. Nationalism is strong among all nationalities, Chechens i feel are very nationalistic, they see themselves superior to everyone else. There is also prejudice between different groups in caucasus towards each other. Only a couple of month ago there was almost an armed conflict between Chechniya and Dagestan over a border dispute. Ingushetia and Chechniya are having border issues all the time, even though they are allmost the same people.

It's all very complicated. Way to complicated for Sherdog.
Каждый раз приходится повторять одно и то же :D

Reactions: MT7
As far as success in sports like wrestling, I'm pretty sure the slavic and caucasian proportions of Russian success have been roughly 50/50.
Lmao never understood this.

They literally fought wars for independence for centuries. But the Russians insisted they stay. Its not like there's oil or anything there. I understand in the past it was the gateway to the middle east/ottoman, so useful militarily. But that's irrelevant nowadays.
Are you kidding? That's like the main industry in both chechnya and dagestan. There are a lot of economic reasons why both parties will prefer to remain together, and as time passes and intermarriage happens, the differences should disappear.

Feel weird to write about this at Sherdog. But I just read so much Bullshit, it's hard to keep quiet :p

Russians are nationalistic, yes. Nationalism is strong among all nationalities, Chechens i feel are very nationalistic, they see themselves superior to everyone else. There is also prejudice between different groups in caucasus towards each other. Only a couple of month ago there was almost an armed conflict between Chechniya and Dagestan over a border dispute. Ingushetia and Chechniya are having border issues all the time, even though they are allmost the same people.

It's all very complicated. Way to complicated for Sherdog.

Chechens are very nationalistic but dont see themselves superior to everyone else, you would have a hard time finding a racist in Chechnya and throughout history Chechens have always lent a helping hand to their neighbors who fled from oppression.

i remember when fedor was getting ready to fight arlovski, and fedor mentioned something about how arlovski isn't really russian, or how he's something different to what other russians are. i am guessing he's differentiating between ethnic slavs like himself, and the darker haired and skinned russians like arlovski. even among certain oblasts within russia, i'm sure there are huge differences in people and demeanor.

Probably because arlowski isn't from russia but from another (nearby) country, belarus?

for those saying that arlovski isn't russian, i get that. but fedor is technically ukrainian, isn't he? aren't belarus and ukraine both different to russia? if that's true, what makes either one of them russian?

khabibs_father_with_the_russian_flag_at_ufc_208.jpg

He seems proud of his Avar roots and I don’t think they forgot what Stalin did to them. I’d imagine most Dagi’s and Chechens would like to be free of Russia, but it’s not worth the blood and tears at this point. I don’t understand why Russia doesn’t give that region independence, it’s clear Russians despise them and they despise Russians. Why not go your separate ways.
What will Dagestan or Chechnya do without Russia? They are entirely subsidized from the Russian budget, without it there will be constant feuds between Dagestani ethnicities for the rule in the republic, if you are from Caucasus, you know what I’m talking about, there’s typically an ethnic Russian in charge of military or special agencies in Dagestan because otherwise there will be a fight for the position.

for those saying that arlovski isn't russian, i get that. but fedor is technically ukrainian, isn't he? aren't belarus and ukraine both different to russia? if that's true, what makes either one of them russian?

That's quite complicated. It's like people in Australia or NZ may speak English and have English ancestry. But you can't quite say they're British. Even if they have the Queen on their money. Belarus has historical connections to Lithuania. In Ukraine, there's east, where people speak Russian and consider themselves Russian (even after Russia attacked them), and then there's west where people identify themselves more with independent Ukraine. They all fluent in Russian but in the west Ukrainian is also spoken. A lot of folks from Ukraine still work and live in Russia. A Russian can mostly understand Belarussian and Ukrainian speech but can't write or speak fluently. Fedor considers himself Russian, he said it. He is from the eastern part of Ukraine, which is now invaded by Russia.

What will Dagestan or Chechnya do without Russia? They are entirely subsidized from the Russian budget, without it there will be constant feuds between Dagestani ethnicities for the rule in the republic, if you are from Caucasus, you know what I’m talking about, there’s typically an ethnic Russian in charge of military or special agencies in Dagestan because otherwise there will be a fight for the position.

Recently they put a bunch of people in jail and had to bring new temporary president from Moscow because of clan/ethnic corruption.
So now they have guys from Moscow who are not connected to local families and clans in charge.

He seems proud of his Avar roots and I don’t think they forgot what Stalin did to them. I’d imagine most Dagi’s and Chechens would like to be free of Russia, but it’s not worth the blood and tears at this point. I don’t understand why Russia doesn’t give that region independence, it’s clear Russians despise them and they despise Russians. Why not go your separate ways.

Countries never like to lose territory.

Fedor elaborated on that. He said arlovski had been living in america for over a decade,and that's why hes not so Russian. That was my impression anyway

Mixed reaction from what I've seen. Most of Khabib's love comes from Muslims - not Russians. I'd even go as far as to say Russia was cheering on Conor more than Khabib for their fight. Russia seems very regional as far as to who they root for. I've even seen some Russians not root for Fedor since his roots are Ukrainian.
I train with Russians. They all love khabib

That's quite complicated. It's like people in Australia or NZ may speak English and have English ancestry. But you can't quite say they're British. Even if they have the Queen on their money. Belarus has historical connections to Lithuania. In Ukraine, there's east, where people speak Russian and consider themselves Russian (even after Russia attacked them), and then there's west where people identify themselves more with independent Ukraine. They all fluent in Russian but in the west Ukrainian is also spoken. A lot of folks from Ukraine still work and live in Russia. A Russian can mostly understand Belarussian and Ukrainian speech but can't write or speak fluently. Fedor considers himself Russian, he said it. He is from the eastern part of Ukraine, which is now invaded by Russia.

interesting. thanks for all that info.

Back