How in the name of God did Mike Tyson ever lose to professional bum McBride?

1.Jeff Fenech training him
2. Far smaller
3. Mentally fucked
4. Cocaine addicted
5. Just wanted money
6. More cocaine addiction
7. Needed money
8. For that cocaine addiction
What your take on Jeff Fenech as an aussie. Great fighter but bad trainer?

i just watched that fight and mike beat himself, he completely fell apart mentally, didn't lose maybe one round and just quit.

i saw some fenech instructionals, they were great, what a knowledgable, smart guy.

He was a great fighter especially for a guy who started boxing at 18 years old.
he was tyson's favorite fighter during his own prime, when everyone was calling him the number one pfp, mike was asked who he thought was the best aside from himself, he named fenech over chavez and said he didn't like chavez' style of blocking punches.

he was tyson's favorite fighter during his own prime, when everyone was calling him the number one pfp, mike was asked who he thought was the best aside from himself, he named fenech over chavez and said he didn't like chavez' style of blocking punches.
Its interesting how Tyson's favorite fighters Fenech and Duran were so skilled at infighting and he wasnt despite having a huge wingspan difference between hinself and his opponents.

Its interesting how Tyson's favorite fighters Fenech and Duran were so skilled at infighting and he wasnt despite having a huge wingspan difference between hinself and his opponents.
ya, makes no sense, with his other gifts of speed and power with his feet he could have done a lot of things. He just stopped growing so early and he just settled into just punching on the way in and getting kayoes that way but also stunting his own growth.

ya, makes no sense, with his other gifts of speed and power with his feet he could have done a lot of things. He just stopped growing so early and he just settled into just punching on the way in and getting kayoes that way but also stunting his own growth.
I think he was kind of limited in the typebof fighter he could be due to his reach disparity he would never be an Ali or Pernell Whittaker. If he had worked on his inside game to the point he was above average at it his game could have hit a higher level is scary to think about. What type of fighter do you think he could have been and what things in your opinion should he have worked on?

I think he was kind of limited in the typebof fighter he could be due to his reach disparity he would never be an Ali or Pernell Whittaker. If he had worked on his inside game to the point he was above average at it his game could have hit a higher level is scary to think about. What type of fighter do you think he could have been and what things in your opinion should he have worked on?
tyson has never spoken about it but i always suspected that he was an avid camacho watcher, he would do a lot of things similar, I think he could have fought more like that. Macho was 5-5 fighting guys 5-10 and outjabbing them, mike did try to jab at points in his career, and he said that a jab was all timing, that's just not true but if you got the defensive skills like hector did, you can slip in a lot of jabs on the way in. he could have done that, in and out not just in and stop, that would have taken care of the going in and wasting time waiting for a ref to break it up. of course, as we're saying he could have fought a lot more on the inside instead of allowing himself to be tied up, one thing george chuvalo mentioned and that he was right about was that tyson should have stood differently inside as well, instead of squared up he should have had his rear leg behing the front leg, wouldn't have been so easy to manipulate on the inside. but, the d'amato fighters tended to square up alot, i don't think it's a coincidence that floyd patterson stopped getting kayoed and knocked down so much when he changed his style to a more traditional style. He also, and this is probably the most important, he could have learned to vary his intensity, with him, it was either 100 percent or nothing. Instead of power in every punch he could have fought with 50 percent of that intensity for large parts of a fight, like a lot of other fighters. He had gifts that you either have or don't and he also had some very real limitations with that size of his. The media made him a monster but he was a very small heavyweight and that would have caused issues no matter what just like Ali's lack of kayo power did at times. Most fighters have weaknesses, and many have huge weaknesses and still become great, tyson could have but he didn't.

Last edited:
He lost because he wanted to. Losing to a guy like McBride gave him his way out of the sport.

As long as people had excuses of injuries or him not being in shape or him losing top guys like Lewis or Holyfield, he was going to be dragged into the ring, whether he wanted it or not. He was too big of a draw to be allowed to quit. But when he lost to McBride, there were no excuses. He was obviously finished.

At that time, I don't think he wished for anything more than to be done with the sport of boxing.

I mean I know he was past it, but he was only 39.
How can he lose all his devastating punch power and even pride as a boxer to go out like that against a professional bum boxer from Ireland?
!!??

Mcbride vs Tyson victim Galota not long later.

Prime Tyson brutalizes Galota into quitting.

You can decline but that much and that fast? Especially since he still looks good on the pads in his 50's.

57 pro fights and coming off a ko loss to a bum in danny williams. Thats a lot for a pro fighter at age 39.
Bernard hopkins is an international treasure we dont appreciate enough.

57 pro fights and coming off a ko loss to a bum in danny williams. Thats a lot for a pro fighter at age 39.
Bernard hopkins is an international treasure we dont appreciate enough.
hopkins was in an early wave of fighters that age having great success, there was an article about it, some thought it was just because fighters didn't take as much punishment, i think it's because they just have a leg up on the comp.

hopkins was in an early wave of fighters that age having great success, there was an article about it, some thought it was just because fighters didn't take as much punishment, i think it's because they just have a leg up on the comp.
Idk wtf ur talking about but nobody has ever came close to hopkin’s age holding a world belt.
Second oldest is foreman, but he was merely 46.

Hopkins was turning 50 and never retired!.. what any sport do u see 50 year olds compete on trhe highest level, let alone be world champ.
Oldest in snooker is 45 and oldest in golf is 48.
Hopkin’s feat is a special record in human history, there’s no downplaying it or associating it with any group.

i mean there was Oscar Swahn and joshua milner who won the olympics for gun shooting at 60. But that’s barely a physical sport and was over a century ago.

Idk wtf ur talking about but nobody has ever came close to hopkin’s age holding a world belt.
Second oldest is foreman, but he was merely 46.

Hopkins was turning 50 and never retired!.. what any sport do u see 50 year olds compete on trhe highest level, let alone be world champ.
Oldest in snooker is 45 and oldest in golf is 48.
Hopkin’s feat is a special record in human history, there’s no downplaying it or associating it with any group.

i mean there was Oscar Swahn and joshua milner who won the olympics for gun shooting at 60. But that’s barely a physical sport and was over a century ago.
Hopkins was 37 when he beat trinidad, at that time there were a bunch of fighters winning over younger fighters and the question at the time was why, the theory was that it was because of less fights than guys in the past. I think it's less quality, but I don't know what the fuck i'm talking about.

Hopkins was 37 when he beat trinidad, at that time there were a bunch of fighters winning over younger fighters and the question at the time was why, the theory was that it was because of less fights than guys in the past. I think it's less quality, but I don't know what the fuck i'm talking about.
Well if neither of us know what the point is I’ll disregard it.
But to address the example at hand, you realize Hopkins turned pro at age 25 right after got out of jail. There was some lie that went viral amongst boxing fans that he never ammied, but later revieldd that he eatimates he had 60 ammies and he has started training boxing after he dropped out of 8th grade.
But even if you take into account the late wearNtear, bernard’s age record still stands as one of if not the single greatest age to accomplishment ratio in sports’ history, not just combat.

Well if neither of us know what the point is I’ll disregard it.
But to address the example at hand, you realize Hopkins turned pro at age 25 right after got out of jail. There was some lie that went viral amongst boxing fans that he never ammied, but later revieldd that he eatimates he had 60 ammies and he has started training boxing after he dropped out of 8th grade.
But even if you take into account the late wearNtear, bernard’s age record still stands as one of if not the single greatest age to accomplishment ratio in sports’ history, not just combat.

right on, have a great day

Crap trainer. I've met him plenty of times and seen him training people. Dude should stick to being a fighter. BUT he is very big on fitness for his fighters.

Back