How in the name of God did Mike Tyson ever lose to professional bum McBride?

His heart wasn't in the sport anymore. Plain and simple.

Until 1988 th he improved each month. Some maybe more than 4 years in row.
--------
Ofc we also might compare half wreck from ali usage in 77-80.......... or gerald.
But if about Lewis, he was too skilled and gifted for mike to beat easily , despite canadian and not murcian boxer. Lewis in his prime vs prime Mike aka 1988 th peak = approx 50/50 match up.
So yeah, if he continued to improve next more than 4 years in row like in 1984-1988, then 1988-1992/1993 looked like his real gold years............ + mike even in 1987 th looked more skilled than some today's prospects.

What was there left to improve in your opinion? I don't know if Rooney could have worked out more skills with him.

Physically and mentally, yes, an athlete usually peaks at age 26/27. But skillwise I don't know if he could have developed more.

People ask these questions without looking at the video and answer these questions without looking at the video for evidence ?

It's easy to see that Tyson didn't train and didn't care anymore about legacy because he would throw one punch and fall into Mcbride holding for 1 minute then throw 1 punch and hold then foul because he wasn't in shape and this was 4 rounds when he wanted the fight stopped and just wanted the payday.

Anybody who boxed knows if you can only throw one punch and can't move your head and have no explosive power and recovery you didn't train mentally and physically for an easy fight and you thought one punch would drop this nobody within 3 rounds.

It's puzzling people are actually debating why Tyson looked terrible in a fight he didn't train nor cared about except money.

fighters can adapt and add wrinkles to their games, more often than not they lapse into bad habits but fighters do change as they go along. They always say duran developed from a natural, raw fighter to a very skillful boxer. Hector Camacho really did make a huge change, he went on a spree where he was kayoing guys left and right, hitting guys from behind, when they were down, it's easy to forget with what came later about his previous meanstreak. Anyway, Macho, as much as he was criticized, actually added a lot of things to his game but he left out the crowdpleasing intent behind his earlier performances. The Howard Davis fight and the Pazienza fights showed a matured and smart fighter, dominating two world class fighters with ease but he'd stopped trying to hurt people, still, the bodywork, the poise he showed, many other things were an improvement. And for all the talk about how much of a paisano he was, he never came in so out of condition that he didn't make weight or couldn't make it to the final bell.

As far as Tyson, with his gifts, said it many times, he could have learned a lot of different things, he could have used that body and foot speed to box and befuddle fighters, he could have fought like Camacho, dart in and out, he did fight like that at points, but instead, it just became easier for him to come forward, land punches on the way to an inevitable clinch, not fight inside and start all over. Some of his later fights weren't as bad as people say, and like macho, he was doing different things, learning new tricks, but losing some of the old ones.

People ask these questions without looking at the video and answer these questions without looking at the video for evidence ?

It's easy to see that Tyson didn't train and didn't care anymore about legacy because he would throw one punch and fall into Mcbride holding for 1 minute then throw 1 punch and hold then foul because he wasn't in shape and this was 4 rounds when he wanted the fight stopped and just wanted the payday.

Anybody who boxed knows if you can only throw one punch and can't move your head and have no explosive power and recovery you didn't train mentally and physically for an easy fight and you thought one punch would drop this nobody within 3 rounds.

It's puzzling people are actually debating why Tyson looked terrible in a fight he didn't train nor cared about except money.
larry holmes said something at the time which i think was at least partially true, his management fucked him with this matchup, the last thing he needed at this point, confidence shattered, career a mess, the last thing he needed was a giant. Tyson really did have horrible luck as well as good fortune early on. He had luck like the titanic.

Mike couldn't stand up by the end of the fight with the big sack leaning all over him. He just had nothing left.

Of course an unmotivated, derelict, and purposeless Tyson, whose style ages badly after 30 would look bad against McBride.

Tyson had no real external structures after Atlas, then D'Amato, then Jimmy Jacobs, then Rooney left him. The Ruddock fights were, to me, his last great performances. I still think Holyfield headbutted too much in his first Tyson fight.

Also, be (edited out "because") careful using the word "bum," as most people are too afraid to step through the ropes and get attacked by trained punchers. One could argue the real bum is the man who was always too afraid to do something they admired.

I would agree- Mcbride deserves credit for surviving and getting in there. But the vastness of having that scalp on his resume in Tyson is far more to do with the above factors than a fighter the caliber of McBride as a boxer to deserve that name on his win list.

I still can't believe Tyson lost all his famed power to put away a guy like that within 3 rounds.

I can also guarantee, every Irishman watching live or on t.v. woke up the next day feeling a million dollar spring in his step.

I would agree- Mcbride deserves credit for surviving and getting in there. But the vastness of having that scalp on his resume in Tyson is far more to do with the above factors than a fighter the caliber of McBride as a boxer to deserve that name on his win list.

I still can't believe Tyson lost all his famed power to put away a guy like that within 3 rounds.

I can also guarantee, every Irishman watching live or on t.v. woke up the next day feeling a million dollar spring in his step.

I'm not o e to besmirch someone who has got into the 4ight and scrapped. That used to be me, and I learned a lot about what it takes by doing that, even at a diminished level compared to the names and the pros. Still, like you indicated, McBride should not been in there with Tyson. Just didn't seem right.

I am a huge Iron Mike fan but you are talking about a 5'10" 38 year old with a 71 inch reach against against a 6'6" 32yo with an 80 inch reach.
Tyson was always a flawed HW and as time went on could no longer hide his flaws.
All these narratives around him that try to pretend it was something other than that.

Tyson looked similar for the McBride fight to what he looked for other later career fights and his weight was about the same too. I think the problem was more between his ears than around his waste line.​

I want to add it was his first fight in a year and at 38 yrs old. lets face it..mentally he was not ready and physically that style is great if you are in shape. Plus thats a younger guys style. Hard to slip punches like that when your heavy and close to 40. I think height had nothing to do with him losing. That style is made for getting under punches but like i said if you are older and heavier plus mentally a train wreck well him getting KO'd was the end result

1.Jeff Fenech training him
2. Far smaller
3. Mentally fucked
4. Cocaine addicted
5. Just wanted money
6. More cocaine addiction
7. Needed money
8. For that cocaine addiction
Sorry this is old but I just wanted to say that has got to be the funniest comment phrasing I’ve ever seen on this forum, that was great man :)

Tyson looked similar for the McBride fight to what he looked for other later career fights and his weight was about the same too. I think the problem was more between his ears than around his waste line.​

Body fat has nothing to do with cardio. Even when Tyson trained his ass off his cardio was just average--due to how muscular and tense he fought.

39 is pretty dang old for a boxer.

Body fat has nothing to do with cardio. Even when Tyson trained his ass off his cardio was just average--due to how muscular and tense he fought.
I think he showed pretty good cardio a number of times in his career. One example being Ruddock 2. That was twelve rounds of two guys hitting each other with sledgehammers and not backing down.

Success occurs when preparation meets opportunity. Tyson didn't prepare. McBride, as inferior as he is, did prepare.

Let's not exaggerate how supposedly bad McBride was. Was he ever on the level of a prime Tyson? Of course not. But he was a former Olympian and a guy with a great overall record in one of the world's toughest and most dangerous sports. Calling him a "professional bum" is a pretty huge overstatement.

Yes, a prime Tyson would have made mincemeat of him. Unfortunately, he'd lost his desire to box and his interest in training. But McBride also did stand up to some punches that the vast majority of men would have crumbled behind. Tyson losing to him was a sad site, but it wasn't like McBride wasn't good at what he did. Just not good on the level that Tyson once was, or even still could have been, had he committed himself to boxing at that point in his life.

Back