How in the name of God did Mike Tyson ever lose to professional bum McBride?

Tyson does look great on the pads for his age. His speed being the most astonishing part IMO.

But as Tyson so famously said himself, Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth, and I'm guessing at 54 his chin aint what it used to be.

Tyson does look great on the pads for his age. His speed being the most astonishing part IMO.

But as Tyson so famously said himself, Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth, and I'm guessing at 54 his chin aint what it used to be.
Yeah, Mike's got a couple/few years on me, but he doesn't want any part of a 30-something top HW, IMO. I would have to rate that potential match-up "Yikes!" from Tyson's standpoint. I think it's just talk and no way he does anything other than an exhibition of some kind, if that.
No top HWs, please.

Yeah, Mike's got a couple/few years on me, but he doesn't want any part of a 30-something top HW, IMO. I would have to rate that potential match-up "Yikes!" from Tyson's standpoint. I think it's just talk and no way he does anything other than an exhibition of some kind, if that.
No top HWs, please.

I think his brain and mental stability is a little shot also, after listening to him on his podcast. If i was his doctor I'd advise him against any form of fighting, even sparing with head gear. Time to call it quits and move on.

He was a 2 round fighter by that stage. People forget Tyson was shot by the late 90s, when he was losing against Botha until he landed the KO punch.

Same reason Wilder couldn't beat a fat retired Irishman.
Tyson landed good shots and had good defense till he gassed but........

.......That Irish chin strikes again!960x0 (1).jpg

I mean I know he was past it, but he was only 39.
How can he lose all his devastating punch power and even pride as a boxer to go out like that against a professional bum boxer from Ireland?
!!??

Mcbride vs Tyson victim Galota not long later.

Prime Tyson brutalizes Galota into quitting.

You can decline but that much and that fast? Especially since he still looks good on the pads in his 50's.

What do you think are prime Tyson years?

Tyson's best work was 85 to 88. Of course, morons think that Tyson fought a bunch of bums or that Larry Holmes was old, but an even older Holmes went the distance with Evander Holyfield years later and gave him a tough fight, but that gets overlooked (this same Holmes was a 4 to 1 underdog against Mercer and beat him and Mercer gave Lennox Lewis a brutally tough fight).

Goleta might be unreliable, but he also was a talented guy who maybe didn't operate best at the highest level. Watch his two Bowe fights and you will see the good and bad in Golota. Tyson blasted him out quick. That Tysom was a three round fighter.

Of course an unmotivated, derelict, and purposeless Tyson, whose style ages badly after 30 would look bad against McBride.

Tyson had no real external structures after Atlas, then D'Amato, then Jimmy Jacobs, then Rooney left him. The Ruddock fights were, to me, his last great performances. I still think Holyfield headbutted too much in his first Tyson fight.

Also, be (edited out "because") careful using the word "bum," as most people are too afraid to step through the ropes and get attacked by trained punchers. One could argue the real bum is the man who was always too afraid to do something they admired.

Last edited:
His prime was 85- until after holyfield 2 (1996?) Tyson looked awesome in bruno 2 fight. He just came up against a better fighter in holyfield (who people thought was past his prime)

His prime was 85- until after holyfield 2 (1996?) Tyson looked awesome in bruno 2 fight. He just came up against a better fighter in holyfield (who people thought was past his prime)

No. No. No. Just because you win regularly doesn't mean you are in your peak, or even prime years. Peak and prime not the same thing.

No. Bruno 2 was good matchmaking because the 1st Bruno fight was just out of Tyson's peak years and Bruno was a name.

Use the eyeballs and you will see slippage in how Tyson jabbed and moved and set up his punches. Punching vs looking for KO's. He started to cut corners after becoming lineal. Bit by bit. Piece by piece. It's there.

Tyson didn't fight Holmes the way he fought Holyfield.

Tyson's decline began after the Spinks fight. Once he split with Rooney he steadily declined & he became a one-dimensional banger. And he began cutting corners big time in training. With no one to answer to he put less & less effort in at the gym & he began to get beat up in sparring. He was dropped twice & beaten up by Greg Page in sparring which forced Don King to cancel his scheduled title defense against Razor Ruddock in Edmonton back in November of 1989. In fact, I was sitting having dinner with Teddy Atlas in Springfield, MA when he told me about it. He was convinced that had Tyson gone through with the fight that Ruddock would have knocked him out.

That's why they didn't reschedule the Ruddock fight & went with Buster Douglas as the opponent in Japan a couple of months later. They wanted an "easy" opponent for Tyson to have a tune-up against before fighting anyone tough. But he continued to get beat up in sparring & was dropped again by Page but King & company figured that Douglas would still get blown out early. But, as we know, that's not what happened.

Tyson did regain some motivation & began to take things more seriously again following the Douglas loss & he eventually did beat Ruddock twice but then jail happened & he beat some handpicked opponents until losing to Holyfield. After which he became a dirty, vicious fighter who began to try to hurt his often overmatched opposition. He tried to break Botha's arm, he knocked Orlin Norris out after the bell & he continued to punch Lou Savarese after the ref had stopped the fight. All of which many other fighters would have been DQ'd for.

So fast forward through the KO losses to Lewis & Williams & Tyson was a lost soul by the time he fought McBride. He was just going through the motions at that point & had no business being in the ring. Pretty much any live body would have beaten him that night. Add in the fact that McBride came in highly motivated & in the best shape of his life & you have the formula for another massive upset.

Yeah i don't see it. The bruno tyson 2 was a peak version of tyson and it showed when he stopped him in 3? Rounds.

Tyson still lost rounds in his prime. Even old man holmes was frustrating tyson a bit and won a round or 2.

1996 holyfield beats any version of tyson as he was a better fighter.

Tyson still great fighter don't get me wrong but i feel he gets a bit overrated these days.

Yeah i don't see it. The bruno tyson 2 was a peak version of tyson and it showed when he stopped him in 3? Rounds.

Tyson still lost rounds in his prime. Even old man holmes was frustrating tyson a bit and won a round or 2.

1996 holyfield beats any version of tyson as he was a better fighter.

Tyson still great fighter don't get me wrong but i feel he gets a bit overrated these days.
Well, lets put it this way. Three years in jail is not going to improve you as a fighter.

Always wondered if Kevin Rooney could have gotten more out of Mike in his last years, including the Lennox Lewis fight.
I think Rooney would've been down, but Mike didn't want to contact him for whatever reason.

Rooney for the Holyfield rematch would've been interesting too.
Who else did Rooney ever train?

1.Jeff Fenech training him
2. Far smaller
3. Mentally fucked
4. Cocaine addicted
5. Just wanted money
6. More cocaine addiction
7. Needed money
8. For that cocaine addiction
If Jon Jones ever loses, that will be the reason

Who else did Rooney ever train?

Jeremy Williams, Ricky Meyers, Vinny Paz, Omar Sheika.

Who did you ever train?

Rooney and Mike were a dream team, undefeated, world heavyweight championship... He had much more success with him than Freddie Roach.

Jeremy Williams, Ricky Meyers, Vinny Paz, Omar Sheika.

Who did you ever train?

Rooney and Mike were a dream team, undefeated, world heavyweight championship... He had much more success with him than Freddie Roach.
Sorry if I upset you.

Tyson's decline began after the Spinks fight. Once he split with Rooney he steadily declined & he became a one-dimensional banger. And he began cutting corners big time in training. With no one to answer to he put less & less effort in at the gym & he began to get beat up in sparring. He was dropped twice & beaten up by Greg Page in sparring which forced Don King to cancel his scheduled title defense against Razor Ruddock in Edmonton back in November of 1989. In fact, I was sitting having dinner with Teddy Atlas in Springfield, MA when he told me about it. He was convinced that had Tyson gone through with the fight that Ruddock would have knocked him out.

That's why they didn't reschedule the Ruddock fight & went with Buster Douglas as the opponent in Japan a couple of months later. They wanted an "easy" opponent for Tyson to have a tune-up against before fighting anyone tough. But he continued to get beat up in sparring & was dropped again by Page but King & company figured that Douglas would still get blown out early. But, as we know, that's not what happened.

Tyson did regain some motivation & began to take things more seriously again following the Douglas loss & he eventually did beat Ruddock twice but then jail happened & he beat some handpicked opponents until losing to Holyfield. After which he became a dirty, vicious fighter who began to try to hurt his often overmatched opposition. He tried to break Botha's arm, he knocked Orlin Norris out after the bell & he continued to punch Lou Savarese after the ref had stopped the fight. All of which many other fighters would have been DQ'd for.

So fast forward through the KO losses to Lewis & Williams & Tyson was a lost soul by the time he fought McBride. He was just going through the motions at that point & had no business being in the ring. Pretty much any live body would have beaten him that night. Add in the fact that McBride came in highly motivated & in the best shape of his life & you have the formula for another massive upset.

That's some interesting insight regarding 1989 / 1990.

Any time he practiced boxing half-assed, his size disadvantage kicked in.

How do you think a Prime Mike would have done vs. Holyfield & Lewis?

That's some interesting insight regarding 1989 / 1990.

Any time he practiced boxing half-assed, his size disadvantage kicked in.

How do you think a Prime Mike would have done vs. Holyfield & Lewis?

A lot of people subscribe to the theory that Holyfield had Mike's number & that he'd have always beaten Mike but I don't think that necessarily true. I think that the Tyson at his would have had a good chance to KO Holyfield. It certainly wouldn't have been as one-sided as there fight in '96 was.

The fight that I think had Tyson's number was Lewis. I think his size advantage, his jab & his power would have always greatly troubled Mike & beaten him.

A lot of people subscribe to the theory that Holyfield had Mike's number & that he'd have always beaten Mike but I don't think that necessarily true. I think that the Tyson at his would have had a good chance to KO Holyfield. It certainly wouldn't have been as one-sided as there fight in '96 was.

The fight that I think had Tyson's number was Lewis. I think his size advantage, his jab & his power would have always greatly troubled Mike & beaten him.

Emanuel Steward said that an important factor was that Lennox wasn't afraid of Mike at all... I agree with that... Lennox in 1997/1998 was basically doing what Mike was doing in 1987 / 1988... He just wasn't as nearly as popular as Mike.

Came in out of shape. Was wrestled and leaned on until he was exhuasted. McBride had a game plan.

Back