How I pulled 700

Very nice read.

I agree about the curls. While who knows how much exactly they help...but they definitely won't hurt you.

Yeah, I mean if you can make a part of you stronger with minimal energy expended, why not?

I'm about 171 right now, fat, and have never pulled 400. I'm downright disgusted with myself and it's time for things to change. Sometimes when one is already teetering on the cliff, he just needs a little kick to send him tumbling down the jagged rocks of the PL precipice.

Dude, Don Larkin pulled 500+ when he was 61 and 160 or so, quit being a fucking girl.

How many consecutive weeks in a row would you suggest trying to up your 1 rep max before taking a week "off" for volume and a cns rest?

Theres only one way i'll every pull 700lbs

2004_Dodge_Ram_SRT10.jpg

Nice writeup carnal, glad to see you back in action. I switched the the Kostja slump as well, and it helped tremendously. How often did you pull during this?

I'm still at my 'I wish I could deadlift but I have a herniated disc that makes sitting hard, much less pulling' mode. But damn good read Carnal. Now do one for overhead pressing, I can do that one right now.

Good write up CS..

One thing that I noticed over the years....load is the single biggest factor to getting stronger and bigger....period.....other variable can make differences but load is the end all.....so if you want to lift more....start using heavier loads.......singles, doubles, and maybe some triples....long rest periods......

I have noticed higher frequency, shorter rest periods, and other such things often improve efficiency in an exercise or general GPP but dont have as much carryover to raw strength as just heavyass, no holding back, struggling for that rep as though you're about to pass out attempt.....granted we all have limits and perhaps it's smart to leave a smidge in the tank to avoid injuries...

I'm still at my 'I wish I could deadlift but I have a herniated disc that makes sitting hard, much less pulling' mode. But damn good read Carnal. Now do one for overhead pressing, I can do that one right now.

Gah. Me too.

Exactly. Curls are a surprisingly good wrist and forearm exercise too, even without a thick bar. It's not gonna help your grip really, but it'll make your forearms pop a bit more. It could even help with bending, I might fuck with that.

If you want those forearms to pop, you might want to try Chins.

*snicker*

Good read man.. (and Devilssons post too)
I am eager to get back into the gym and dead, I'm recovering from a compressed disc in my back that's really making life difficult!
I only dead about 380/390ish, but my gains were coming FAST with them so I'm aiming for 500 by the years end. Ambitious.. but that's my goal!

nice read carnal,
me and my man-gina are still trying to break 4 hun. gotta try some of those other lifts you suggested

Awesome work Carnal.....very impressive.

Nice.

Carnal, you mentioned lots of upper back work, but didn't mention chins/pull ups (the mainstays of my upper back pulling) once. Do you have something against them, or are they just not something you like to do?

Carnal, do you store up these ideas and then just write them when you get stoned, or does being stoned just make you think up all this stuff?

Good write up CS..

One thing that I noticed over the years....load is the single biggest factor to getting stronger and bigger....period.....other variable can make differences but load is the end all.....so if you want to lift more....start using heavier loads.......singles, doubles, and maybe some triples....long rest periods......

I have noticed higher frequency, shorter rest periods, and other such things often improve efficiency in an exercise or general GPP but dont have as much carryover to raw strength as just heavyass, no holding back, struggling for that rep as though you're about to pass out attempt.....granted we all have limits and perhaps it's smart to leave a smidge in the tank to avoid injuries...

Oh yeah, I rest like a motherfucker dude. Before my 700lb pull I smoked a cigarette and let about 3 songs play when I was done. Before my second 700lb squat (at 275 mind you, not my current weight) I probably sat around and ate MM's while bullshitting with my training partners for a half hour.

XTrainer, I think chins are a great exercise, but I'm used to being a fatty so I've never really fucked with them. I think they would have limited utility for the DL though.

Dexter, getting stoned makes me chatty. Since I live alone and prefer not to be around most people, I end up typing shit here.

Back