How I pulled 700

CarnalSalvation

Trying to make a Milankey
Reaction score
If you're gonna deadlift heavy, the first thing you gotta learn is just be tenacious. You have to be willing to storm the gates of heaven, slap a Seraph in the mouth and take that big dead. You have to be willing to get hurt. It might happen. Before I managed 700, I promised myself I wouldn't stop pulling until the bar began to descend again. If that meant it went down because I tore a bicep, so be it. Ya dig? Make your heart hard, and fucking get after it.

The routine was based a lot on instinct, so other than exercise selection and rep ranges, I can't give ya much, and most of you have seen very similar things a million times. I did do a few things differently, more upper back volume/frequency and really changing my pulling often.

One thing I did a lot was rack pulls from 16" (a couple inches below the knees for me) followed by deads. I would do the rack pulls crazy heavy. The DL I would do for pyramid singles, maybe 10 or 12. Pretty heavy, not "speed" shit. And yeah, I said pyramids. Of course you can't just pull from a high height like that, so you have to cycle in normal deads and of course the dreaded platform dead. God I hate those. I don't like a platform any higher than 3", I feel like the load you sacrifice for the ROM isn't worth it. But some people swear by very high platforms where there is barely room to get your fingers in because the bar is so close to your feet. See which one you work best with.

A lot of times I would call it a day there, because I'd really bust my nuts on those two. Otherwise, I'd hit RDL's ir Snatch grips for 4-5 sets of 3-5 reps, BB rows for 3-6 sets of 3-5, GHR for 4-6 sets of 6-12 and maybe finish up with some shrugs and DB rows. Shrugs should be done both sloppy and strict, DB rows should be done very strict IMO.

After pressing, I would do six sets of strict BB rows, lots of rear delts and prehab type upper back stuff. On a seperate day I would do strict snatch grip shrugs for 20-25 reps, 6-10 sets.

Another thing I did is actually went with an internet fed and tried the exaggerated Konstantinov upper back slump. It worked well for me. Hit my 680 PR the first time I tried it. Now, personally I don't use that style week in, week out, but it's a keeper for me when going after PR's. That's part of why all the upper back helped though, because my glutes aren't as huge and diesel as they once were, so at the top I could wrench that shit back with my upper back.This makes your lats grow like crazy and your middle traps super thick.

So, don't be a scared little bitch, do tons of upper back while keeping some glute/ham work in there (I should have done more) even the little shit like band pull aparts and kelso rows, practice form (the singles) and fucking handle it.

As a side note, I should point out that the job I got shortly before the PR ramped my physical activity level up many orders of magnitude. I am probably in the best "shape" of my life. I haven't been this light since my sophomore year of highschool, and I was shorter and fatter. So crazy GPP (for me).

After reading this I realize just how much I neglect certain things (shrugs, ham etc.)

Nice write up. Especially:

You have to be willing to storm the gates of heaven, slap a Serap in the mouth and take that big dead.

What are some good exercises besides BB and DB rows that you would suggest?

Bent over delt raises like a DB fly in reverse kind of? If that makes sense? I need to get some bands I think, I've been hearing about band pull aparts constantly lately.

Good shit Carnal. I'm stuck in a "hate deadlift" cycle right now, so I might have to make them my summer project. This is nice motivation, really.

Inspirational. I love when you get serious. Worth re-reading. I gotta give it one thumb up and one thumb down, if you get my drift...

Bent over delt raises like a DB fly in reverse kind of? If that makes sense? I need to get some bands I think, I've been hearing about band pull aparts constantly lately.

Like, sitting on a bench,with your chest on your legs, thumbs facing, and bringing the DB's up. You'll feel it in the dear delts, and at the top you can pull your scapula together.

C-mart, because it was decent, but now you're gonna have to pull hard again? hahaha

There's nothing wrong with curls (IMO)as long as they're not:
A) The start and end of you sessions
B) Done solely for vanity.

Just my 2 cents.

Like, sitting on a bench,with your chest on your legs, thumbs facing, and bringing the DB's up. You'll feel it in the dear delts, and at the top you can pull your scapula together.

C-mart, because it was decent, but now you're gonna have to pull hard again? hahaha

Yep, that's what I was thinking. I almost did them yesterday since I haven't done them in forever. I'll add those as well. Good shit Carnal.

Very nice read.

I agree about the curls. While who knows how much exactly they help...but they definitely won't hurt you.

There's nothing wrong with curls (IMO)as long as they're not:
A) The start and end of you sessions
B) Done solely for vanity.

Just my 2 cents.

Exactly. Curls are a surprisingly good wrist and forearm exercise too, even without a thick bar. It's not gonna help your grip really, but it'll make your forearms pop a bit more. It could even help with bending, I might fuck with that.

I'm about 171 right now, fat, and have never pulled 400. I'm downright disgusted with myself and it's time for things to change. Sometimes when one is already teetering on the cliff, he just needs a little kick to send him tumbling down the jagged rocks of the PL precipice.

Glad to hear you're killing the weights again, Carnal.

Exactly. Curls are a surprisingly good wrist and forearm exercise too, even without a thick bar. It's not gonna help your grip really, but it'll make your forearms pop a bit more. It could even help with bending, I might fuck with that.

I like reverse curls for forearm as well. I usually do them in between lifts but I actually did a few sets of them yesterday and I liked them.

Back