Opinion How do we fix our pit bull problem in the United States?

Ban them within city limits. If people want them, they can go live in the country.

That eliminates poor people's ability to have pitbulls and it's the poor people who are the problem.

Fix the Pitbull Owner problem first. Then there will be no pitbull problem.
Unfortunately, there's no way to get rid of poor people or bad decision makers.
That's like saying you can fix the meth problem by simply addressing the owners. Shit works in Iran or the Philippines, but would never fly with the bleeding hearts over here.

I love that argument, people see a dog that looks like this:

1wvDHDP.jpg

And try to tell me "THAT'S NOT A REAL PIT". I've been around these dogs for years, they're super obvious.

The propaganda is deep.

They're easy to identify even when they're mixed with other breeds....SMH
Besides, it's the bloods and genes that make them what they are, not the way they look. They easily give them a DNA test at the shelters for their by-by shot.

They're easy to identify even when they're mixed with other breeds....SMH
Besides, it's the bloods and genes that make them what they are, not the way they look. They easily give them a DNA test at the shelters for their by-by shot.

By the way, that's a Presa Canario.

Mandatory sterilization (which should apply to all breeds) except for regulated breeder permits with strict penalties for non-compliance would solve the perceived problem virtually overnight.

Also, LOL at the AV
Evil, satanic idea. You people need jesus.

Dog is not the problem...deport and or shoot the irresponsible owners.

I Pits are like children; show them love and discipline and you'll get that in return.

That's not always true with any dog. The problem with pits is that they're a game animal. Dogs have personalities just like people. You can have a dog that's been shown nothing but love that's a complete shithead, just like a kid. When a pit decides to be a shithead, it's different than it is with other breeds because of what they were bred for. It's a lot different.

There's more incidents in a place like South Texas with these dogs than other parts of the country because there's just so many pits in that part of the country, but I feel like the Latino community has far more respect for what these dogs are capable of and tend to take more precautions with them than some hipster chick from Portland that adopts one and thinks the thing is a "nanny dog."

Here you go...

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fniallmccarthy%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F09%2F20180914_Deadly_Dogs_Forbes.jpg

holy shit. ~300 deaths over like 15 years? it's an epidemic! sound the alarm! this obviously is objective and takes the human factor into consideration, as well. because piece of shit thugs like michael vick are JUST LIKE owners of pitbulls who don't engage in crimes with them!

i guess we should ban rotties and shepherds, too. just to be safe!

*facepalm*

...you know you just DEMONSTRATED my point, right? lolz @ pitbull fearmongering

I love that argument, people see a dog that looks like this:

1wvDHDP.jpg

And try to tell me "THAT'S NOT A REAL PIT". I've been around these dogs for years, they're super obvious.

The propaganda is deep.

Not sure I follow the point you’re making but that’s obviously some mastiff type breed. Were you trying to parody the post you quoted?

Build a wall?

holy shit. ~300 deaths over like 15 years? it's an epidemic! sound the alarm! this obviously is objective and takes the human factor into consideration, as well. because piece of shit thugs like michael vick are JUST LIKE owners of pitbulls who don't engage in crimes with them!

i guess we should ban rotties and shepherds, too. just to be safe!

*facepalm*

...you know you just DEMONSTRATED my point, right? lolz @ pitbull fearmongering

they don’t have the clockwork maulings on there.

the point is, look at other dog breeds, look at pit bulls. Pit bulls were bred to fight. It’s in their DNA.

they don’t have the clockwork maulings on there.

the point is, look at other dog breeds, look at pit bulls. Pit bulls were bred to fight. It’s in their DNA.

genius, they were "bred to fight" OTHER DOGS. even if you want to use this halfway flimsy point as an argument, it's an argument FOR DOGS, NOT PEOPLE. derp.

Here you go...

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fniallmccarthy%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F09%2F20180914_Deadly_Dogs_Forbes.jpg
Fatal dog attacks on humans are incredibly rare, but what I've mostly seen with pits in my life is other dogs getting killed, which doesn't get reported on much. Just off the top of my head, I can think of 4 different incedences where a pit either killed another pit living under the same roof or someone pet. The worst one I can remember was on Spring Break at South Padre Island where these two pits that were on leash dragged the owner a good 20 feet in the sand and still killed a same dude's dalmatian that was tied to his rig while he was surfing. Fucking horrible ordeal.

They can't even have dog parks in that part of the country because of pits.

Half of the dogs in the dog parks in Orange County are pits. Never really seen any problem with them aside from the 2 times each month where I've seen some dogs play too rough and an overtly considered person tries kicking the other person's dog to stop it

I get where you're going, but years ago some of the most selective breeders where breeding fighters.

I’m well aware but even that’s a sword that cuts both ways. True pits were bred for fighting but that meant they had to be actively selected for low human aggression (I.e dogs that attacked their handlers in the pit were culled).

But the point I was making is that the percentage of dog attacks perpetrated by pit bulls pales in comparison to the percentage perpetuated by reproductively intact dogs of all breeds. If you seriously believe that dog attacks is a first tier problem (I’m not convinced that it is) then mandatory spaying and neutering is the real solution. Your return on investment would be many times higher.

genius, they were "bred to fight" OTHER DOGS. even if you want to use this halfway flimsy point as an argument, it's an argument FOR DOGS, NOT PEOPLE. derp.
Doesn't matter what they attack, they're a large game breed. The attacks are not the same as with other breeds. That's from the breeding.

But yes, they primarily attack other dogs, which is why I don't like them and feel they need to go.

Fatal dog attacks on humans are incredibly rare, but what I've mostly seen with pits in my life is other dogs getting killed, which doesn't get reported on much. Just off the top of my head, I can think of 4 different incedences where a pit either killed another pit living under the same roof or someone pet. The worst one I can remember was on Spring Break at South Padre Island where these two pits that were on leash dragged the owner a good 20 feet in the sand and still killed a same dude's dalmatian that was tied to his rig while he was surfing. Fucking horrible ordeal.

they are horrible animals. They have an instinct to fight and kill.

Red Flag laws, universal background checks and bans on assault pits.

Back