How can Universal Basic Income be possible if Social Security is in trouble

So, we are all in agreement that UBC is an impossibility?

What the fuck is the solution then? Motherfucking robots are coming for all our jobs!

Ok, did my own looking and found this. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-million-americans-not-working-or-looking-wo/

So, of that 90million, 40million are retirement age, 21million are in college and 9 million are in highschool. that is 70million that I can account for and am ok with not working. That means there are 20 million or so not working that are able to work.

Man I kinda feel stupid to be taken in on this 94million bs...
Of those 20 million, how many are legally disabled? About 9 million receive disability, which means they have had to prove that they are unfit for employment. Many who are unemployable do not meet this legal definition.
So was I. The link had a BLS.GOV address.
And that link doesnt have that chart. We still don't know where it came from.

What huge leaps? I linked to an article where others have addressed the financing issue. Did you read the Forbes link? The links in the Forbes links?

Yes I read them, the example was Switzerland which we pay for their Social Security already IIRC.

The other problem you come across is that even with UBI some people will not be able to afford housing or basic food. Now, to me you also shouldn't have children in such situations but it's going to happen. That's even more to take care of. I know the article states it shouldn't happen immediately but there is no plan for each step of the process. That's a huge leap to make assumptions on the issue IMO.

Yes I read them, the example was Switzerland which we pay for their Social Security already IIRC.

The other problem you come across is that even with UBI some people will not be able to afford housing or basic food. Now, to me you also shouldn't have children in such situations but it's going to happen. That's even more to take care of. I know the article states it shouldn't happen immediately but there is no plan for each step of the process. That's a huge leap to make assumptions on the issue IMO.

You didn't read the link if you think it's about Switzerland. Maybe you skimmed it but you didn't read it thoroughly or the associated links.

Your second paragraph doesn't seem to be a complaint specific to UBI but a generic complaint about social services. UBI isn't meant as a panacea to all problems associated with managing a large number of people nor does it (or any plan) presume to prevent people from making bad decisions.

But the research on spending indicates that when you give people money, they don't waste it. Everyone will always point to the minority occurrences where someone does waste it but they do that while ignoring that the percentages run in favor of these programs, not against. It's like saying that because 1 out of 10 people do X, we should ignore that the other 90% are doing Y.

As for saying there's no plan for each step of the process...that's a shortcoming on your side. Just like you when you asked me for the financing and I directed you to someone who had already done it, you can easily find white papers on the actual process, if you want to research it and read them.

So, we are all in agreement that UBC is an impossibility?

What the fuck is the solution then? Motherfucking robots are coming for all our jobs!

It’s not impossible. You just need a combination of the following to make a feasible plan:
1. Lower cost goods and services than we have today
2. A UBI plan that can be financed
3. Political willpower to enact it

(1) will happen over time due if advancements in automation continue. If they do not continue, then UBI is moot.

(2) will depend on the details of the plan being presented. To know if it is feasible, you would have to know what level of basic income is offered and what benefits, if any, it replaces. A plan that eliminated all social service programs and returned a very small amount equally to the population would be easily affordable but probably not very useful. A plan that keeps all benefits at current levels and provides equal benefit so that everyone can live in luxury would be impossible to finance. A workable plan will have to be somewhere in the middle.

(3) is probably the most difficult to overcome. The problem would have to get a lot worse before considering it even becomes an option. After that, there will be a lot of debate on how to actually implement it, which will be a giant ideological battle. Again, the situation will probably have to be an emergency before legislature can try to contain it.

Back