How bad does Dana regret letting Rory go?

Woodley has chilled out on the race baiting lately. His post fight interview was good, a little cringe with his single dropping. I think him and dana are in a better place and a violent dominate finish can help smooth things over and help marketability.

Rory did not look good when he won the Bellator belt. He lay'd and pray'd.

I am not sure the "Black Power" fist in the air during his walk out was "chilled out", but if that's all he does and quits the ridiculous whining and crying about it, his marketability will go way up. He's a ridiculous talent.

Woodley has chilled out on the race baiting lately. His post fight interview was good, a little cringe with his single dropping. I think him and dana are in a better place and a violent dominate finish can help smooth things over and help marketability.

Rory did not look good when he won the Bellator belt. He lay'd and pray'd.
Woodley was attacked on his social media with all sorts of racist slurs. HOW IS HE A RACE BAITER for calling shit like that out? How about some of you just admit you don't want to hear about it, even when people have a legitimate argument?

And Woodley isn"t? Dana IS going to have to step up and start marketing Woodley though, because he keeps on winning, and that IS marketable.

Dana is banking on Conor and other Euro stars for $. I truthfully dont think he cared at all about Woodley. In my opinion Dana believed that he was sending Woodley out there to be slaughtered.

Woodley was attacked on his social media with all sorts of racist slurs. HOW IS HE A RACE BAITER for calling shit like that out? How about some of you just admit you don't want to hear about it, even when people have a legitimate argument?
But Woodley was taking those incidents and acting like the entire MMA fanbase was racist, then he backtracked and said that the UFC was against him. While it's debatable that the UFC was against Woodley back then, it's certainly true today given Dana's behavior after Woodley's victory over Till and subsequent absence at the press conference.

The times I heard him bring it up was literally out of nowhere. Of course you'd point out the one thing I mentioned that was a negative aspect and not the otger positives I praised him for in the posts that followed.

Rory is a hell of a fighter. I’d pick him to beat Woodley again too.
He’s a bad matchup for Tyron.

The ufc tried to fuck Rory by pairing him against wonderoboy for his final fight and it worked. Again stylistically Rory would always have a hard time with Thompson

Machida, Hall and a beatdown everywhere from Jacare happened to Mousasi. One big win (and a few meaningless ones like beating ancient, post-TRT versions of Belfort/Hendo) don't make up for that. He wasn't the world beater his fangirls made him out to be. And yes, I think he'll probably beat Rory, but mostly due to a size and style advantage.
Nothing against you personally but you're just one of those Mousasi "haters"[for lack of a better word] who just doesn't get it about this guys career and how he's evolved to what he is now and in his prime now and always a clean fighter.....15 years of this and hes 33 looking like hes going on 28.....in fight years.
He's 1-1 vs Renaldo and I wouldn't call that a " beatdown" lol. A pre USADA jacare made him carry his weight for 3 rounds and got a surprising tap (I'll give him that cause gegard pretty slick on ground) but " beatdown " ???? - no. That's the fight that woke Mousasi up and realized he has to train like an elite fighter instead of an elite getting by on raw talent. You dont see this cause you're already too invested as a detractor and that's too bad (you don't seem like a bad guy).

Btw, the size difference come the 29th isn't going to be as significant as you think .He'll be the bigger fighter but not what you're thinking.

I'm sure all fighters get hate

Rory would smash Woodley too. Dana needs to get Rory back to shut him up. ******* race baiter.

Right now Dana can't stand having Woodley as champ. The only (active) welterweight that would probably be the favorite over Woodley right now is Rory Macdonald, having dominated Woodley in the not too distant past.

The UFC was very cheap with Rory and his contract. They kind of also wanted to set the standard that if fighters aren't happy with their pay the UFC don't need them (Bader, Phil Davis,etc. were all top 10 fighters). Now it came back to bite them in the ass. Rory is the Bellator champ who is set to face Mousasi in a highly anticipated fight looking to be double champ. Right now UFC needs him more than he needs them.

Dana probably thinks about this every day hahah. Hopefully they offer Rory some big time money to come back.
You know Woodley and DW went to the Superbowl together?

By far their worst loss. Most other Bellator transfers weren't a big deal, especially Bendo. Bader was probably the second worse loss...though no one knew the LHW would be in shambles back then (no Jones, Rumble and Cormier fighting at HW and retiring soon).

Rory was young, too, in an aging division...even though they may have thought he was damaged goods after his wars with Lawler and Wonderboy. And they may be right. I really don't think fighting a MW (who has fought at LHW) is a good career decision for Rory....
Yep. UFC looking at the present and not at the future, as usual these days.

Mostly due to contract negotiations. Rory was always a company man but Dana tried low balling him.

I'm sure he would still prefer him over Woodley. Rory could have potentially filled the void in the Canadian market since GSP retired. Rory has the potential to be marketable and fights whoever they put in front of him. Could have even went up and fought Whittaker.

Nah, Rory is a hot and cold type of fighter. He's been in some of the absolute best fights, but also some of the absolute worst fights.

He's also a bit of a weirdo.

To be fair Rory got dominated by Thompson on his way out.
IIRC that was right after his 2nd war with Lawlor, Dana may have thought that war with Lawlor took way too much out of him as he looked like a shell of his former self in the Thompson fight.

Dana is banking on Conor and other Euro stars for $. I truthfully dont think he cared at all about Woodley. In my opinion Dana believed that he was sending Woodley out there to be slaughtered.
I think you may be right. Now Dana has to figure out what he's going to do because Tyron refuses to go down. He's been active, has toned down the rhetoric, and done what he needs to do in the cage. This has got to be a real conundrum for Dana, but it seems to me that the best thing to do at this point is to get behind Tyron, whether you are tired of his shenanigans or not. He probably IS the best WW in the world right now, OR at least he's the best the UFC has. I think he mauls Colby.

Did you actually watch the fight? He went to war with Lima. By rory's own admission his leg was so fucked in the 5th that if he could get it to the ground he couldn't continue. I guess that constitutes as lazy n pray though

No, Lima went to war on him. Lima did far more damage in the striking exchanges and destroyed Rory's leg. He won by positional control and pressing Lima against the cage.

It was a gutsy, commendable performance on Rory's part, but we all know that if Woodley won a fight like that, he'd get trashed here for weeks afterwards.

Nothing against you personally but you're just one of those Mousasi "haters"[for lack of a better word] who just doesn't get it about this guys career and how he's evolved to what he is now and in his prime now and always a clean fighter.....15 years of this and hes 33 looking like hes going on 28.....in fight years.
He's 1-1 vs Renaldo and I wouldn't call that a " beatdown" lol. A pre USADA jacare made him carry his weight for 3 rounds and got a surprising tap (I'll give him that cause gegard pretty slick on ground) but " beatdown " ???? - no. That's the fight that woke Mousasi up and realized he has to train like an elite fighter instead of an elite getting by on raw talent. You dont see this cause you're already too invested as a detractor and that's too bad (you don't seem like a bad guy).

Btw, the size difference come the 29th isn't going to be as significant as you think .He'll be the bigger fighter but not what you're thinking.

1) Jacare vs. Mousasi #1 was 10 years ago and ended with an upkick. I'm not saying an upkick doesn't take skill, but we really don't know who the overall better fighter was based on that. The same could be said for Oleg vs. Renzo 10 years earlier.
2) Jacare beat Mousasi decisively everywhere in the rematch. You can throw in PED allegations if you want, but Jacare has never tested positive. For all we know, Mousasi has done as many or more PEDs than Jacare.
3) Mousasi himself said he's sparred Lima and noted there's a significant size difference between him and most WWs. Rory is an inch shorter than Lima and has roughly the same build.

As for Mousasi looking better and better, I'm not convinced. He certainly didn't against Shlemenko, a pudgy MW who could easily fight at WW. And if we want to use the "he lost, but that fight woke him up" excuse, I could say the same for Weidman, who looked 10X better in his next fight with Gastelum than he did vs. Mousasi.

Back