How bad does Dana regret letting Rory go?

not in Canada he wasn't

the stephen thompson fight had people from all over fucking canada going nuts to support him. People even actually bought the fight kits.
As a Canadian and a Rory fan , I certainly do not remember this.

not necessarily true. Dana has historically been willing to lowball contenders after a loss because he thinks their career is over.

Except for Gilbert Melendez, after he lost his first title shot to Benson.

When Gilbert threatened to walk, they offered him a coaching gig on TUF, a title shot vs Pettis, and a nice pay bump to boot.

Gilbert proceeded to lose 4 straight and test positive for a banned substance on top of that.

Letting Rory walk was a bad decision. He was their only hope in the Canadian market. He was also a guy who could save the division from Woodley if necessary.
I don't think it needs saving by any means, and Sherdog is showing their bias in being so presumptuous when it comes to the outcome.
Glad to see this place is the same as I left it.

Robbie Lawler took his soul. Woodley’s performance against Till was more exciting than any Rory fight I’ve watched in recent memory.

To be fair Rory got dominated by Thompson on his way out.
IIRC that was right after his 2nd war with Lawlor, Dana may have thought that war with Lawlor took way too much out of him as he looked like a shell of his former self in the Thompson fight.

Thompson barely squeaked by that decision

Except for Gilbert Melendez, after he lost his first title shot to Benson.

When Gilbert threatened to walk, they offered him a coaching gig on TUF, a title shot vs Pettis, and a nice pay bump to boot.

Gilbert proceeded to lose 4 straight and test positive for a banned substance on top of that.

Pre-WME situation - when the policy was NOT to give top fighters to rival orgs.
Those days are long gone, money and saving money is the only motivation contracts-wise.

Melendez really got lucky

I think Woodley beats Rory in 2018. WOodley is underrated and Rory is a bit overrated because of that fight. ROry embarrassed him, no doubt about it. But I don't think he does it twice.

Woodley has chilled out on the race baiting lately. His post fight interview was good, a little cringe with his single dropping. I think him and dana are in a better place and a violent dominate finish can help smooth things over and help marketability.

Rory did not look good when he won the Bellator belt. He lay'd and pray'd.
To be fair.. Douglas Lima is probably the best striker in WW division (UFC included) and Paul Daley is dangerous as fuck but has horrible grappling.

To be fair.. Douglas Lima is probably the best striker in WW division (UFC included) and Paul Daley is dangerous as fuck but has horrible grappling.

anybody who doesn't have both koreshkov and lima in the worldwide top 10 rankings is seriously ignorant. I'd favor both koreshkov and lima over wonderboy or till.

Right now Dana can't stand having Woodley as champ. The only (active) welterweight that would probably be the favorite over Woodley right now is Rory Macdonald, having dominated Woodley in the not too distant past.

The UFC was very cheap with Rory and his contract. They kind of also wanted to set the standard that if fighters aren't happy with their pay the UFC don't need them (Bader, Phil Davis,etc. were all top 10 fighters). Now it came back to bite them in the ass. Rory is the Bellator champ who is set to face Mousasi in a highly anticipated fight looking to be double champ. Right now UFC needs him more than he needs them.

Dana probably thinks about this every day hahah. Hopefully they offer Rory some big time money to come back.

if rory would of sold well he been resigned but he didn't so ufc didn't want to over pay to keep him.

also in the distant past u mean 5 years ago. if there was a rematch today Woodley wins so easy,

not in Canada he wasn't

the stephen thompson fight had people from all over fucking canada going nuts to support him. People even actually bought the fight kits.

than got beat bad.

It's too easy to say "The UFC should never let any top fighters go".

WME's strategy is to save money and play hardball, so they can't keep everyone.
If a certain tier fighter asks for a raise then WME will have to look at whether they actually NEED them to keep the division interesting or not.
I don't think you can say they desperately NEED Rory.

In fact, the opposite. They have proven that they can create new contenders out of thin air.
Since Rory left. Till and Colby have come up from out of nowhere to become good contenders.

Till even came in as a betting favorite over Woodley.
To a large extent that's a success in itself.

To me it doesn't seem they need someone to actually beat Woodley, as long as they have legit contenders lined up, who will generate some PPV, that's enough.

Last edited:
1) Jacare vs. Mousasi #1 was 10 years ago and ended with an upkick. I'm not saying an upkick doesn't take skill, but we really don't know who the overall better fighter was based on that. The same could be said for Oleg vs. Renzo 10 years earlier.
2) Jacare beat Mousasi decisively everywhere in the rematch. You can throw in PED allegations if you want, but Jacare has never tested positive. For all we know, Mousasi has done as many or more PEDs than Jacare.
3) Mousasi himself said he's sparred Lima and noted there's a significant size difference between him and most WWs. Rory is an inch shorter than Lima and has roughly the same build.

As for Mousasi looking better and better, I'm not convinced. He certainly didn't against Shlemenko, a pudgy MW who could easily fight at WW. And if we want to use the "he lost, but that fight woke him up" excuse, I could say the same for Weidman, who looked 10X better in his next fight with Gastelum than he did vs. Mousasi.
I'm sorry I even retorted to you....youre entitled to your opinion.
#1- shlemenko (to his credit) caught Mousasi with an awkward come from the cloud shot that actually broke his thumb that in turn broke the guys eye socket 45 seconds in and still lost 2/3 rounds.An obvious different fight if not for that but it did happen but a win is a win --- Hell, give the guy credit for fighting through such an injury .We're not talking some swelling of an eye FFS- not to mention his first facial damage through a 44-6 record and an 8-0 kboxing record.
#2)Mousasi is a middleweight who fights at around 194-195 on 185 fight night.
Rory is a huge welter who will come in MAYBE 10 pounds lighter(than mousasi) come the 29th otherwise Mousasi would be a bigger favorite than he is and wouldve opened up a bigger favorite than he did.

I'm already sorry I'm actually coming back at you cause like I said when it comes to this Armenian, you already have too much time vested as one of his detractors.

Thompson barely squeaked by that decision

That is simply not true.

Wonderboy clearly beat Rory everywhere that fight went, and he did it with complete impunity. It wasn't a particularly competitive fight, it was lopsided.

I think that was arguably Rory's worst performance in the UFC simply because he wasn't back at 100%. His nose broke yet again and unfortunately that had physical and mental setbacks for Rory. He probably needed more time off but was too tough for his own good.

There is a reason he was going for cartoonishly low percentage Iminari rolls.

Back