How bad does Dana regret letting Rory go?

Kertol

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Right now Dana can't stand having Woodley as champ. The only (active) welterweight that would probably be the favorite over Woodley right now is Rory Macdonald, having dominated Woodley in the not too distant past.

The UFC was very cheap with Rory and his contract. They kind of also wanted to set the standard that if fighters aren't happy with their pay the UFC don't need them (Bader, Phil Davis,etc. were all top 10 fighters). Now it came back to bite them in the ass. Rory is the Bellator champ who is set to face Mousasi in a highly anticipated fight looking to be double champ. Right now UFC needs him more than he needs them.

Dana probably thinks about this every day hahah. Hopefully they offer Rory some big time money to come back.

dana did'nt liked Rory either

dana did'nt liked Rory either

Mostly due to contract negotiations. Rory was always a company man but Dana tried low balling him.

I'm sure he would still prefer him over Woodley. Rory could have potentially filled the void in the Canadian market since GSP retired. Rory has the potential to be marketable and fights whoever they put in front of him. Could have even went up and fought Whittaker.

especially if rory actually beats mousasi, dana is gonna look real fuckin stupid

No, Rory was hard to market. Personality of a peanut.

not in Canada he wasn't

the stephen thompson fight had people from all over fucking canada going nuts to support him. People even actually bought the fight kits.

Woodley has chilled out on the race baiting lately. His post fight interview was good, a little cringe with his single dropping. I think him and dana are in a better place and a violent dominate finish can help smooth things over and help marketability.

Rory did not look good when he won the Bellator belt. He lay'd and pray'd.

No, Rory was hard to market. Personality of a peanut.
not all champs have to be marketable. they rely on mcnuggets to bring in the dough anyways, they dont bother to promote max, whittaker, tj, woodley, etc. as much as they should be. a champ that puts on great fights and always shows up is good for business. rory is both of those

not in Canada he wasn't

the stephen thompson fight had people from all over fucking canada going nuts to support him. People even actually bought the fight kits.
If he was worth it Dana would’ve signed him. Dana can put up bullshit of you bring money in.

If he was worth it Dana would’ve signed him. Dana can put up bullshit of you bring money in.

not necessarily true. Dana has historically been willing to lowball contenders after a loss because he thinks their career is over.

Woodley has chilled out on the race baiting lately. His post fight interview was good, a little cringe with his single dropping. I think him and dana are in a better place and a violent dominate finish can help smooth things over and help marketability.

I'm under the impression Dana wanted Woodley to lose.

Rory was top 5 talent and putting on good fights. He didn't market that well but shit, not everybody has to be a star, some can just be really good at the sport. I don't know the details of the contract negotiations, but it seems like they could have had him for not much.
I say take a handful of flyweights no one cares about or watches, cut them, and give their salaries to Rory and Mousasi

Letting Rory walk was a bad decision. He was their only hope in the Canadian market. He was also a guy who could save the division from Woodley if necessary.

Did you actually watch the fight? He went to war with Lima. By rory's own admission his leg was so fucked in the 5th that if he could get it to the ground he couldn't continue. I guess that constitutes as lazy n pray though

I'm under the impression Dana wanted Woodley to lose.
Probably did because he want a new Bisping. I felt it too so I def think you're right. But I feel Woodley's graciousness in victory, dominate fashion, and him marketing himself with music might let Dana see the glass half full.

How about Gegard.He kicks the shit out of weidman, finishes on a 5 fight stoppage streak as he gets to #3 in world and WME shits on the guy during 90 day negotiation period. Day 91 comes and Coker has permission to go after Mousasi......and that he did.I just wish Gegard would 've just stuck around 2 more weeks to give it some thought cause Whitaker literally injured his knee a week after Mousasi left.
He wouldve been involved in interim title fight. The ufc did back peddle and offer him " a somewhat competitive offer " but damage was done and it wasnt matched.
Shame cause Rory and Till big enough to fight at 185 - throw in Gegard who " could be UFC champ" as we speak and ufc middleweight class would be sweet once again.

Did you actually watch the fight? He went to war with Lima. By rory's own admission his leg was so fucked in the 5th that if he could get it to the ground he couldn't continue. I guess that constitutes as lazy n pray though
Yes I did. Rory did not look good is all I'm saying. The top position won him the fight IMO.

Back