• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Television HOUSE OF THE DRAGON Season 2 (Official Trailer, post #20; Premieres June 16, 2024)

I can kinda get onboard with your criticism here to a certain extent. I feel like too many shows are gratuitously violent for the sake of it, to the point that it takes away from the experience. It's like there's no limit to how vile they make things to 'shock' the audience and as much as I like the original GOT (season 1-4 is arguably GOAT material), it was one of the shows that started that trend. It's excessive and predictable.

Exactly. It's got nothing to do with pearl clutching. The issue is that it's immersion-breaking - the exact opposite of what more restrained depictions of brutal reality can achieve.

Once you've sat through 'shocking' scene number #43267, you are no longer 'shocked'. You are just bored and entirely aware that you are being manipulated.

The books are violent though.

Books are not immune from the same manipulative shock tactics. The murder scenario in the book sounds cool in the sense of an exaggerated horror movie, but really dumb in a story where character motivations/actions are supposed to be realistic.

Sure they are, but it's a another medium. Reading about something and then watching it is different. That aside, I'm more commenting on the overall fascination in pop culture with hyper-violent and graphic shows. I don't mind violence in my TV when it serves the plot or is important to the story, but the revelling in gratuitous gore and misery of so many shows nowadays is simply not for me. Big difference between shows like The Sopranos or Breaking Bad, whcih are both violent in their own right, and then something like The Boys, Gen V, HOTD, TLoU, Fallout, Walking Dead and so on.

The two Game of Thrones shows already significantly cut down on the violence and other fucked up shit that is in the books. Specifically speaking about the last episode, they didn't actually show Blood and Cheese killing the boy, instead we follow Helaena and its left to our imagination.

Maybe R rated television isn't for you, but I'm here for it. There's plenty of tame shows out there to watch.

Books are not immune from the same manipulative shock tactics. The murder scenario in the book sounds cool in the sense of an exaggerated horror movie, but really dumb in a story where character motivations/actions are supposed to be realistic.
The motivation is revenge, a concept that is as old as time. Not sure what you're confused about.

Reactions: HHJ
The two Game of Thrones shows already significantly cut down on the violence and other fucked up shit that is in the books. Specifically speaking about the last episode, they didn't actually show Blood and Cheese killing the boy, instead we follow Helaena and its left to our imagination.

Maybe R rated television isn't for you, but I'm here for it. There's plenty of tame shows out there to watch.
it sounded like they cut off the boy's head off

<6>

The motivation is revenge, a concept that is as old as time. Not sure what you're confused about.

The two guys doing the psychological torture are avenging what, exactly? They are just assassins for hire. What did the Queen do to them? One of us is indeed confused.

Casually taking your time to engage in psychological torture - something you are not getting paid for - of someone you are not there to kill, when your own life is in very immediate danger, is not a remotely realistic scenario.

And if the plan the entire time was to psychologically torture the Queen for no reason, then that would be even more silly.

I don't know what it was but the premiere of season 2 episode seem very mid. Alicent and Criston are the biggest hypocrites. The Blood and Cheese scene was a let down. And poor Halaena is traumatize to all hell having to see her Mom riding her Bodyguard after witnessing her Son's death.

I don't know what it was but the premiere of season 2 episode seem very mid. Alicent and Criston are the biggest hypocrites. The Blood and Cheese scene was a let down. And poor Halaena is traumatize to all hell having to see her Mom riding her Bodyguard after witnessing her Son's death.
Missed opportunity to also have Larys sitting down very observantly watching her mothers feet in action in the same scene

The two guys doing the psychological torture are avenging what, exactly? They are just assassins for hire. What did the Queen do to them? One of us is indeed confused.

Casually taking your time to engage in psychological torture - something you are not getting paid for - of someone you are not there to kill, when your own life is in very immediate danger, is not a remotely realistic scenario.

And if the plan the entire time was to psychologically torture the Queen for no reason, then that would be even more silly.
I doubt it was their own idea. They are goons doing what they were told, acting on Daemon's orders.

I doubt it was their own idea. They are goons doing what they were told, acting on Daemon's orders.
They appear to be a recycled book element that GGRM has already used in the SOIAF when Vargo Hoat and the Brave companions chopped Jamie's hand while secretly working for the Boltons who were allied with the Starks at the time

I can kinda get onboard with your criticism here to a certain extent. I feel like too many shows are gratuitously violent for the sake of it, to the point that it takes away from the experience. It's like there's no limit to how vile they make things to 'shock' the audience and as much as I like the original GOT (season 1-4 is arguably GOAT material), it was one of the shows that started that trend. It's excessive and predictable.

Violence for the sake of violence is fair game for criticism.. but this is a show with a medieval type of setting where the extreme violence at times really isn’t that out of place. So to me, the criticism is a bit off.

I mean, in this specific show we’re about to enter a bloody family civil war that effects an entire continent.. if it wasn’t extremely violent it wouldn’t even make sense.

Again, if the plan all along was to psychologically torture the Queen - who had nothing to with the killing they are tasked with avenging and is not even married to the guy who did it - that is 10x sillier than if they just decided to do it on the fly.

It wouldn't make it less retarded, it would make it more retarded.

Anyway, that's enough of this nonsense.

Any power given by birthright is undeserved and only those who slowly accumulate are wise enough to keep it.

Otto is so damn unlikeable. At least Tywin Lannister had some charisma and a cunning presence. It's a wonder how Otto became Hand of three Kings, he doesn't seem as smart as Tywin, and he just makes people despise him.

Agreed on both counts.

When Aegon was being introduced in the throne room with like twelve titles I was thinking "He was just crowned two days ago, give it a rest."

And when Otto was talking to Rhaenyra and her posse he said "Aegon is king, he was given a conqueror's crown, a conqueror's sword, and a conqureror's title." I was begging for anyone to say "He's 17 years old. He hasn't conqured shit."

Maybe they should put an age rating at the beginning or something

1000001578.png

Oh wait...

Last edited:
Again, if the plan all along was to psychologically torture the Queen - who had nothing to with the killing they are tasked with avenging and is not even married to the guy who did it - that is 10x sillier than if they just decided to do it on the fly.

It wouldn't make it less retarded, it would make it more retarded.

Anyway, that's enough of this nonsense.

It's almost like two guys who would willingly cut off a toddler's head are assholes or something.

Back