Holly Holm Asked The UFC For Cyborg @ Catchweight

Good on Holly for being willing. But the 135 division is wide open now. With an emphatic win for Amanda or Valentina you have legit challengers right there. I could care less about Cyborg and more talk of her making weight.

Would be nice, but I highly doubt ufc would do it. Too much risk to have their champion fight a girl who can't be champion cause she can't make 135 and her division will never be made in the ufc. Honestly not even sure cyborg can/will make 140 since every time she had a catchweight scheduled she cancelled it.

Holly is a true fighter. Not a coward like others.

Even if true, it's most likely not going to happen since Cybro's contract with the UFC stipulates she HAS to make 135 lbs if she wants to fight in the UFC.

Stipulations can be revised .. This is a very smart move by Holly's team, very smart indeed to take on the fight that Ronda was accused of ducking. Dem bragging rights doe!

" Go get some fans, Holly!" - Kenny Florian

I'm a Rousey fan but I really admire Holly. She a gangsta. I just love her "bring 'em on" attitude and focus on the sport. I wish she had gotten the title at a younger age. Anyhow, the UFC can waive any contractual provision which creates a problem and the agreement to the waiver can be one of the elements of negotiations about the fight. I think that they should put it on UFC 200. But make both of them promise not to get injured.

Would be an interesting fight, but it's hard to pick against someone who's had nothing but TKO victories for the last seven years.

Cyborg is just such a devastating striker and her chin is so good. Holly would clearly want to make it a striking match and I just don't see how she wins it on the feet.

For that reason, I don't think Zuffa lets it happen, especially when the UFC doesn't even have a division for Cyborg to fight in.
I think Cyborg is more of a pressuring "bully" type striker than she is technical or devastating. I think Holly is way too measured to let Cyborg get close and bully her the way she does with some of the girls she fights at 145.

Even if true, it's most likely not going to happen since Cybro's contract with the UFC stipulates she HAS to make 135 lbs if she wants to fight in the UFC.

If all parties want this to happen (UFC, holm, cyborg) it will happen. They could simply renegotiate a new contract. It's a non issue.

how funny it would be if tate knocks her out cold or puts her to sleep with a submission

I think Cyborg is more of a pressuring "bully" type striker than she is technical or devastating. I think Holly is way too measured to let Cyborg get close and bully her the way she does with some of the girls she fights at 145.

I think you're underrating Cyborg's striking. Cyborg is one of those Wanderlei/Shogun type strikers who may look "wild" but has a preternatural ability to land powerful shots on the button. That's more than just pressure: it's instinct and muscle memory from years of hard training.

The point I'm making is that if you stand in the pocket with someone like Cyborg, you're going to get hit in the head. And given that Holly would also be looking to strike, she would have to stand and trade with Cyborg.

That's a very dangerous fight, even for someone with Holly's striking pedigree.

They'd find a way around that shit.

They probably won't, intentionally.

I suspect UFC don't want to deal with the Cyborg situation at all even if there might be a lot of money in it, just like they don't want to make deals with Fedor or Askren.

Dana has much anger.

I think you're underrating Cyborg's striking. Cyborg is one of those Wanderlei/Shogun type strikers who may look "wild" but has a preternatural ability to land powerful shots on the button. That's more than just pressure: it's instinct and muscle memory from years of hard training.

The point I'm making is that if you stand in the pocket with someone like Cyborg, you're going to get hit in the head. And given that Holly would also be looking to strike, she would have to stand and trade with Cyborg.

That's a very dangerous fight, even for someone with Holly's striking pedigree.
I'm not underrating it I just think Holly is a better striker. Cyborg is a good striker but Holly's distance work and timing isn't going to play into the get close and bully you style that Cyborg is knocking these girls out with. Holly works with one of the best gameplanners in the business and there isn't any way in hell she's going to just get trapped against the cage and let Cyborg clinch her up, she just isn't going to be there.

I'm not underrating it I just think Holly is a better striker. Cyborg is a good striker but Holly's distance work and timing isn't going to play into the get close and bully you style that Cyborg is knocking these girls out with. Holly works with one of the best gameplanners in the business and there isn't any way in hell she's going to just get trapped against the cage and let Cyborg clinch her up, she just isn't going to be there.

I would liken this match-up to the Shogun vs Machida fights. If Holly can stay on the outside (and she definitely can) she can outpoint Cyborg, but if Cyborg can connect cleanly with one good shot she will probably finish the fight.

But I lean towards Cyborg because she's just never been stopped on the feet before. Holly might be the one to do it, but that's a big maybe. And Holly has been KO'd before, albeit not in MMA.

In a close striking match, I have to favor the chin that has never been KO'd.

And it makes not much sense for the UFC to revise them. See this post as to why . . .

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/h...org-catchweight.3178919/page-2#post-113801601

Ahh .. not necessarily (as far it NOT making sense to revise the contract stipulations). Every situation has to be looked at individually, and it actually does make sense from a marketing perspective, and here is why ..

Ronda did not need the Cyborg fight, because there was nothing that fighting Cyborg would do to elevate Ronda's mainstream status, which was already exceptionally high especially compared to Cyborg. Ronda fighting Cyborg would have been about bragging rights, not increasing her mainstream exposure. Holly is a completely different case though .. Holly needs the push, and the UFC needs to do everything they can to propel her mainstream status if she is ever to become even half the draw that Ronda was/is.

While Cyborg is not a mainstream name, a superfight marketed off their individual credentials/titles, in addition to the selling point of Cyborg being the " fight that Ronda Rousey ducked ", would go a long way towards elevating Holly Holm's name on a mainstream level.

The mere mention of Cyborg being the fight that Ronda ducked will sell this match up. Ronda's fanbase will want to tune in to see if Holly can beat the girl they've been told their hero refused to fight. The UFC does not need to have a 145 division .. and if Holly loses, well she lost a catch weight super fight, but she still retains her BW title and Cyborg continues on in Invicta as FW champ.

Everything is subject to manipulation and change depending on one's goal and agenda. ;) Holly has way more to gain from this fight than Ronda did, that is why it makes more sense for the UFC to make it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back