Hey guys, what are your thoughts on "Trapping"?

depends how you do it. trapping in a clinch, esp greco style, can let you dirty box, take down, smash your opponent in to environment and a whole heap or other great stuff, while your opponent has an arm or both trapped. great stuff in the street.

I'm really interested in seeing the video that was promised earlier in this thread

man the assload of speculation and mysticism in this thread is fucking killing me.

need......solid.......proof.....

as i said erik paulson trains this and places value in it and he is one of the better mma/grappling instructors/coaches, an i know he has used it in a fight (mma) before on the ground when a guy attempted to gnp; an in interviews he said it is situationally effective, not the end all or be all, you have to be eff at in close and distance fighting first to get to the point of effectiveness in the trapping range.

if your not, you get picked apart on the outside, or when u trap the guy closes distance and beats you up on the inside.

trapping works though-situationally, it also depends on the level of guy you face, his tech and physical ability.

an some people consider trapping the immobilization of a body part or joint, i.e. no freemovement or you control the movement, therefore you have TRAPPED them.

i sparred a wing chun guy a bit less than a week ago and he was ALL about trapping/redirecting my attacks opening up places for him to attack... when he got close enough he pulled out some amazing attacks that i didnt think would be possible against me and hit VERY hard from just inches away. knocked the wind out of me once with a shot to the solar plexus.

however, i found a way to beat it by switching up my style to find what works while he stuck to everything he was taught in wing chun and by the end of the match was getting battered by me. i stayed far out of his trapping range, circled, and stiffened a nice jab on him every now and then or threw leg kicks. this made it more difficult for him to get a hold of me, but the biggest weakness i found was that when i threw multiple feints (3-4+) he would try to trap each of them and sooner or later he would get overwhelmed and would be a step behind me by the time i actually threw a shot.

I had some allegedly high-ranking Wing Chun Uni students demonstrate some trapping.
Looked great and seemed to work very well with a totally complicit training partner.

However my suggestion to demonstrate it with someone actually trying to punch them in the face wasn't received with much enthusiasm.

When I box I sometimes hit the guy`s gloves, bringing them down with the jab to then land a second jab or a right. Or maybe to make his gloves stick to his head with the left while I attack the body with the right. I guess that would be an exaple of some basic trapping right?
On the other hand if we talk about the trapping where one gives up his guard to go fishing for his opponent`s arms that doesn`t sound very smart. Still, I really want to see chinaboxer`s vid to see what this stuff`s all about.

And whereas all of them are extremely fast, especially the guy in the last video, i think that if they were actually hitting someone trained in MT or boxing with those they would probably be more than happy to simply eat the first punch in the sequence, move in and just clock you due to the lack of power that those punches seem to be capable of holding. The goal seems to be speed and frequency of punches at the price of having any 1 strike do any real damage.

Does any of that seem to make sense to anyone else?

You do realise that speed is power right? Do you have any understanding of science? Physics? Newtons law? Basically speed and frequency of punches = shit loads of force and power hitting you every few seconds. Those punches work. A guy at my WC academy has the world record for most punches in a minute 805 here's a link
Guinness World Record for Most Punches in 60 Seconds Reclaimed by Robert Ardito | International Wing Chun Academy

Actually the whole web site is full of all you need to know about every single Q u got on WC and as a side note the reason most of u guy's seem to hate on WC is probably cause you not learning it properly in fact my Academy is the only WC school in the entire world recognised as a legit WC school outside o china by the chines goverment so theres some food for thought

my Academy is the only WC school in the entire world recognised as a legit WC school outside o china by the chines goverment
Then what's up with all the other supposedly legitimate Wing Chun schools throughout the world. Does this make them fraudulent Wing Chun McDojo's?
Heck, if I was training Wing Chun I'd want the school to have proper credentials.
(Serious question btw)

Then what's up with all the other supposedly legitimate Wing Chun schools throughout the world. Does this make them fraudulent Wing Chun McDojo's?
Heck, if I was training Wing Chun I'd want the school to have proper credentials.
(Serious question btw)

Yeah pretty much Well not necessarily all of them im sure some are legit schools out there but majority are fakes teaching fake WC pretty much the china goverment and all there kung fu authorities that monitor Kung fu around the globe are pretty much saying that most WC schools out there are not real WC that being said im sure there are some legit schools out there but none have been recognised as real WC schools outside of the 1 academy here in australia.

The highest authority and last living Grand Master in WC today travels often from China to teach our Chief Ins and they go to china a lot to train there as well plus the guy who opened the school and taught there for 35 years before he passed away was the second last Grand Master alive at that time so my Instructors have pretty much had like 37 years of training under the best WC guy's China has to offer and is the only school outside of china acredited and recognised as teaching real legit WC

You do realise that speed is power right? Do you have any understanding of science? Physics? Newtons law? Basically speed and frequency of punches = shit loads of force and power hitting you every few seconds. Those punches work. A guy at my WC academy has the world record for most punches in a minute 805 here's a link
Guinness World Record for Most Punches in 60 Seconds Reclaimed by Robert Ardito | International Wing Chun Academy

Well, I'm only an EE student, so physics is not my main subject but MASS is a big part of that equation and you dont need to be a physics major to understand that a boxer puts more mass behind a punch than those windmill WC punches. They look fast and impressive, but come on.

Trapping works best in a drinking situation or when someone wants to 'put their hands on you' without it really being a full on fight. Pushing each other around, etc.

Well, I'm only an EE student, so physics is not my main subject but MASS is a big part of that equation and you dont need to be a physics major to understand that a boxer puts more mass behind a punch than those windmill WC punches. They look fast and impressive, but come on.

Your right mass is a big part of the equation this is were your confused i belive you have only seen the guy's standing still punching a bag to improve there speed but really only hitting with the mass of there arms thats fine for improving speed and relaxation and breaking world records.

But when training and fighting your taught to step with each punch to put the mass of your entire body in the strike but u dont move forward with the foot rather your core which in the process slides your feet along the ground and the punch conects with your entire body mass so if you weigh 205 pounds thats 205 pounds of mass hitting your opponent at fast speed over and over again get it?:icon_chee

Heh, I'm confused? Why the fuck is your mcdojobullshit tolerated here. If you live in 2009 and go around talking about WC being the coolest shit in the world you are a retard. How is Emin Boztepe's fighting career coming along? Havent seen much of him since his epic fight with William Cheung?

For anyone interested in reading a quite good explanation behind the physics of a punch you can get it here.

Obviously it's just a model, but an interesting read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back