Helwani refering to Cormier as the 'lineal champ', is he wrong?

Fiestar

Sean McCorkle
@purple
Reaction score
I've heard him say that twice in post-fight interviews. That's not my understanding of the term, isn't Cormier the opposite of a lineal champ since he didn't beat the champ?

He said like "Cormier isn't the interim champ, he's the lineal champ!". It seems Helwani is confusing the term lineal with undisputed.

edit: 5min mark: https://youtu.be/n3j-lhCfk4Y?t=5m

Last edited:
He's absolutely wrong

He is using lineal as opposite of interim. The first time I heard him use it he was interviewing Luke rockhold asking how he feels about his friend being "lineal champ. Not interim but lineal"

When the champion vacates he gives up the lineal championship, otherwise Bas Rutten would be the lineal heavyweight champion for the rest of eternity

GSP is the lineal LHW UFC champion.
Seriously.

Frank Shamrock>Renzo Gracie>Matt Hughes>BJ Penn>Nick Diaz>Carlos Condit>Georges St-Pierre

Helwani is a passive aggressive interviewer.

He says stupid shit to instigate more shit. He's a shit producing machine that can't entirely be stopped, just ignored.

GSP is the lineal LHW UFC champion.
Seriously.

Frank Shamrock>Renzo Gracie>Matt Hughes>BJ Penn>Nick Diaz>Carlos Condit>Georges St-Pierre

Your order makes it so that Frank is the lineal champ.

Isn't Cormier the lineal HW champ? I thought he was the first one to beat Bigfoot after Bigfoot beat Fedor? And Cormier hasn't lost at heavyweight....

When the champion vacates he gives up the lineal championship, otherwise Bas Rutten would be the lineal heavyweight champion for the rest of eternity

Isnt it only when the Champ retires, otherwise the lineal title wouldnt be different from the main title unless the champ fights and loses in another promotion? Like Cruz still is the lineal champ.

Rutten has nothing to do with the lineal HW championship line at all.

pDPBAmF.png

+Bigfoot>Cain

Mike Goldberg: That's what makes him a true Hall of Famer.

I'm not a DC fan at all but I do believe he is the lineal champ.

Do you guys even know how being a lineal champ works ? You have to beat the man who beat the man who beat the........Goes on like that,starting from the absolute beginning.

So the last LHW Lineal Champ was Jones. In order to change that ,either someone should beat him or he shouldn't fight again ever in that division.

None of those two happened,So Jon Jones is the current LHW Lineal Champion.

There we go. Enter logic. End of Thread and all of Sherdog.

Back