• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Helwani refering to Cormier as the 'lineal champ', is he wrong?

How would Big Foot ever be the lineal champ for beating Fedor when Werdum is the first guy to beat him? At that point Fedor had no claim to being the lineal champ anymore, he was just another fighter with no real title implications real, lineal or otherwise.

It wasn't because of that. It was because Fedor < Werdum < Overeem < Bigfoot. Bigfoot lost it to Cain afterwards.

Helwani is a passive aggressive interviewer.

He says stupid shit to instigate more shit. He's a shit producing machine that can't entirely be stopped, just ignored.

Its the way of his people.

Why is lineal champ even a thing?

The first time I heard about it was just before the Werdum/Overeem fight where an article talked about the "lineal championship" Werdum took from Fedor. It was bizarre, like discovering some subsect of MMA fighters follow the toe lengths of their favorite guys and who has the best looking nails.

It's the only thing in MMA more make believe and retarded than P4P.

UFC undisputed LHW World Champion... of the universe

C'mon son. There's 205 apes that could pull a fucking human's hands off. I want you to think about that. A monkey is so strong it can rip off appendages that normally you don't just rip off. Somewhere in Gamma Radiata 343 there's a lifeform that could tentacle fuck Jones into submission in under thirty seconds. Let's be real here, stop drinking dat Homo Sapiens Kool Aid.

It's the only thing in MMA more make believe and retarded than P4P.

If you're passionate about MMA, you should care about its history. You haven't made any argument as to why LC is retarded. There's nothing retarded about saying Jones is the lineal champ and is still #1 LHW even though the UFC says otherwise.

Another competitor can win the lineal championship only by defeating the reigning lineal champion in the ring or the cage. The lineal champion is described as "the man who beat the man".

So going back to Frank Shamrock... (who was the UFC's 1st LHW champion, who vacated the title) ... the lineal champ would be the next man to defeat Frank Shamrock at LHW, which never happened. Hate to say it but the lineal champ can't go back to the beginning, it has to start at Tito Ortiz who was the 2nd UFC LHW champion which ended at Jon Jones. There's no way around it...

Jon Jones and Frank Shamrock each ended their lineal championships. DC is the third generation lineal champ.

Isn't Cormier the lineal HW champ? I thought he was the first one to beat Bigfoot after Bigfoot beat Fedor? And Cormier hasn't lost at heavyweight....

Werdum beat Fedor first so you would have to base it on his record. I believe it makes Cain the lineal champ. Someone did the breakdown here a while ago.

Oh and on topic Helwani is wrong. DC is anything but the lineal champ.

Werdum beat Fedor first so you would have to base it on his record. I believe it makes Cain the lineal champ. Someone did the breakdown here a while ago.

Oh and on topic Helwani is wrong. DC is anything but the lineal champ.

It's Cain. It went Fedor, Werdum, Overeem, Big Foot, Cain.

Holy crap. Helwani said it again 3 times on the MMA hour today. He's gotta be trolling us.

Why is lineal champ even a thing?
It is taken from boxing because boxing sanctioning organizations have stripped champions of the world title and then sanctioned a world title fight between two other boxers.
Usually, the champ was stripped of the title for no legitimate reason, sometimes it was because he wanted to fight another sanctioning body world champ; which has lead to some really dirty moves by the sanctioning bodies, they okay the fight and then strip the guy of their title after he fights & wins the other belt.

I'm watching MMA Hour, i'm not even finished and he's said lineal 6 times so far.

Helwani is trolling.

Gus beat Jones, Rumble beat Gus, DC beat Rumble. Sounds like he is right to me.

I love ariel but he's dead wrong.

Or he's being a napoleonic shit usurper trying to stir the pot and get jones angry so he'll come on the podcast.

No fuckin way is Cormier any kind of lineal champion. Legitimate, arguably. But lineal, hell fuckin no.

Shamrock<Le<Smith<Le<Wanderlei<Franklin<Le<Bisping<Rockhold

Id say the position that Jon Jones could lose the lineal title then you shouldnt even consider a lineal title since its just to be the same as the official title. If Jones lost his title, then the only way the lineal title diverges from the official title would be if the UFC did a co-promotion.

GSP is the lineal LHW UFC champion.
Seriously.

Frank Shamrock>Renzo Gracie>Matt Hughes>BJ Penn>Nick Diaz>Carlos Condit>Georges St-Pierre

He's not, because Frank dropped to MW before he lost to him.

Back