Help finding a good ab workout to build a solid core

Dyson350

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I have been able to find effective workouts for everything except my core. I have tried the ab wheel and crunches but nothing seems to work. Lately I have been doing 4 sets of 20 crunches but I can never feel it the next day.

lemurs_wideweb__430x282.jpg

In all seriousness, yeah check out that catalogue and do a lot of squats. It helps. Also don't worry about soreness the next day.

Further to that, if you're concerned about "seeing" your abs/core, that's more of a diet thing.

In all seriousness, yeah check out that catalogue and do a lot of squats. It helps. Also don't worry about soreness the next day.

Further to that, if you're concerned about "seeing" your abs/core, that's more of a diet thing.

I don't really care about seeing anything, I just want to replace fat with muscle while keeping my weight up and right now most of the fat is in my stomach area. Right now I am around 6'1 and weigh between 160-165.

I just tried those standing ab wheel exercises and WOW I can't even do one half way. lol

I don't really care about seeing anything, I just want to replace fat with muscle while keeping my weight up and right now most of the fat is in my stomach area. Right now I am around 6'1 and weigh between 160-165.

I just tried those standing ab wheel exercises and WOW I can't even do one half way. lol

Dont give up trying the ab wheel. You'll be suprised how quickly you can be able to do 10. Then you can try something like this in a circuit...

10 ab wheel rollouts
seated med ball twists (feet elavated) do total of 50 (25 each side)
plank (hold for as long as possible)

I have been able to find effective workouts for everything except my core. I have tried the ab wheel and crunches but nothing seems to work. Lately I have been doing 4 sets of 20 crunches but I can never feel it the next day.

Do 6 sets of 30 then. Do some other variations, plenty of them in the post #2 given link.

What have you picked for the rest of your body that isn't exercising your core?

As far as lifting weights go I strictly do chest and arms, mainly because I work out of my garage and have limited access to equipment. I try and run when I can and I am gonna start jumping rope. Other than that, thats pretty much it.

FAQ attack.

If you care to make your body stronger, rather than just the comparatively small, weak appendages known as arms, do big lifts like squats, deadlifts, and overhead presses.

As far as lifting weights go I strictly do chest and arms, mainly because I work out of my garage and have limited access to equipment.

Horrible program.

If you were already doing back squats, I would have suggested suitcase deadlifts, overhead squats and continuing to do ab rollouts. Plus maybe hanging leg raises and side bends in addition to that. But heavy back squats are the foundation.

Last edited:
As far as lifting weights go I strictly do chest and arms, mainly because I work out of my garage and have limited access to equipment. I try and run when I can and I am gonna start jumping rope. Other than that, thats pretty much it.

you are going to injure yourself like that, working out only your chest with out back/shoulders is doing you more harm than good. Muscles work one way, and need an inverse for it to work correctly. This is a good way to set yourself up for a bad back when you are older.

Try standing ab wheel roll outs without alligator crocodile arms.

For the love of all that is good in this world, find some way to do squats and deadlifts. Remember your "core" is not just your abs.

What the fuck has this place become? Ah, to see how this thread would have turned out in last years S&P.

And if you're 6'1 and weigh 160-165, you dont need to worry about losing fat.

Your muscles should only hurt the next day when they aren't used to being worked. Having sore muscles the next day is actually bad. Only once you are past this period can you gain strength and then muscle.

Back