Help finding a good ab workout to build a solid core

Your muscles should only hurt the next day when they aren't used to being worked. Having sore muscles the next day is actually bad. Only once you are past this period can you gain strength and then muscle.

This is complete nonsense.

actually I have always had strong legs, shoulders, and back. Also just because I am 6'1 and weigh 165 doesn't mean I don't need to lose fat. I would rather lose the fat and replace it with muscle and add weight at the same time.

actually I have always had strong legs, shoulders, and back. Also just because I am 6'1 and weigh 165 doesn't mean I don't need to lose fat. I would rather lose the fat and replace it with muscle and add weight at the same time.

I would stop talking and read the Frequently Asked Questionsfor both strength and conditioning at the top of the forum, thoroughly and completely, several times. You are the worst kind of a beginner, you know nothing yet you think you know a lot. Yes you may indeed be skinny-fat, I know plenty of people like that however if you want results your program needs more than chest/biceps and some ab exercises thrown in. You are practically wasting your time, even bodyweight calisthenics will work wonder for overall conditioning/fitness than the crap that you're doing.

I would stop talking and read the Frequently Asked Questionsfor both strength and conditioning at the top of the forum, thoroughly and completely, several times. You are the worst kind of a beginner, you know nothing yet you think you know a lot. Yes you may indeed be skinny-fat, I know plenty of people like that however if you want results your program needs more than chest/biceps and some ab exercises thrown in. You are practically wasting your time, even bodyweight calisthenics will work wonder for overall conditioning/fitness than the crap that you're doing.

If I thought I knew everything I wouldn't be posting questions on this forum would I? And as I stated before I do what my equipment allows me to do. If I had a complete home gym hell yeah I would have a better routine but I don't so like I said I do what I can. And I am definitely not wasting my time because I have lots of people always asking me if I lift weights so I must be doing something positive.

Unless your "equipment" includes a wheel chair and an oxygen tank, there is no reason you couldn't do lunges, squats, deadlifts, or some type of lift better than flies and curls.

If I go vomit in a toilet for 3 hours a day, and people ask me if I've lost weight, that means I must not be wasting my time, right?

You're a beginner, get used to it. if you have dumbbells or barbells, you can still do squats. Maybe not back squats unless you're up to doing steinborn squats but you can do front squats pretty safely. You can do overhead work. You can do goblet squats, if you only have dumbbells and they don't go up past 50 lbs. You can do step-ups with weight because I'm sure there's a step somewhere near you.

Besides, can you really not get to the gym? Money's tight, what?

I'd bet dumbell burpees for example would be superior to anything he does currently.

That should have been a clue that it's not so much your equipment but your lack of knowledge and experience that's holding you back.

That should have been a clue that it's not so much your equipment but your lack of knowledge and experience that's holding you back.

Ok then fair enough, what do you recommend I add to what I do now then? Deadlift?

For starters, tell us what you do have so we can help you better.

Barbell? plates? dumbells? etc.

For starters, tell us what you do have so we can help you better.

Barbell? plates? dumbells? etc.

Well right now I do:
Benchpress: 5 sets/10 reps
Curls: 4 sets/10 reps
Lateral Raises: 4 sets/15 reps
Tricep Bench Dip: 4 sets/10 reps
Standing Ab Wheel: 4 sets/ 10 reps (just started these so it may change up)
Then for cardio I run 2 miles and jump rope

I usually try and lift every other day then do cardio on the off days.

What we really want to know is if you have a barbell and how much weights you have.

Looks like you bench so you DO have a barbell. This means you can deadlift, clean, and front squat as well. Congratulations.

If you are really looking to put on muscle, then you will have to radically change your routine which--and I'm not exaggerating here because it's well deserved--is horseshit.

What we really want to know is if you have a barbell and how much weights you have.

Looks like you bench so you DO have a barbell. This means you can deadlift, clean, and front squat as well. Congratulations.

If you are really looking to put on muscle, then you will have to radically change your routine which--and I'm not exaggerating here because it's well deserved--is horseshit.

Well I bench 140lbs, curl 35 lbs, and lateral raises 20 lbs..I am 6'1 and weight around 165 lbs

They want to know what kind of equipment you own...how much weight you can put on your bar.

oh, well I have 2 free weight bars (for curling and stuff like that), olympic style bar for (I think it weighs 40lbs) bench press. Other than that just the bench itself. I don't know the max amount of weight I have that can go on the bars but I know I have waaay more than I am capable of lifting. I have (2) 45 lbs plates all the way down to 5 lb plates. Don't know the proper terms for the bars so sorry if it doesn't make sense.

oh, well I have 2 free weight bars (for curling and stuff like that), olympic style bar for (I think it weighs 40lbs) bench press. Other than that just the bench itself. I don't know the max amount of weight I have that can go on the bars but I know I have waaay more than I am capable of lifting. I have (2) 45 lbs plates all the way down to 5 lb plates. Don't know the proper terms for the bars so sorry if it doesn't make sense.

You will need way more than you are capable of benching for deadlifting and squatting. If you can bench 140 now, I'd say you will need at least 285-315 worth of plates within the next few months.

Get a pair of sawhorses, 2 additional 45lb plates(that way you should have a maximum weight of +- 300lbs), and do starting strength program by Mark Rippetoe.

Also, since you say you only have plates down to 5 lbs, you will definitely want to invest in some 2.5's and probably some micro-loading plates like 1.25's.

Back