Help finding a good ab workout to build a solid core

PWR1982 said:
Get a pair of sawhorses, 2 additional 45lb plates(that way you should have a maximum weight of +- 300lbs), and do starting strength program by Mark Rippetoe.

This for sure. If you have a public library near you, check their archives for Starting Strength by Mark Rippoetoe. Then when you've finished that, you can buy it at your leisure later.

Origins said:
Also, since you say you only have plates down to 5 lbs, you will definitely want to invest in some 2.5's and probably some micro-loading plates like 1.25's.

This might not be important for a while but definitely helpful when you start to plateau.

You have a barbell yet you claimed you could only do chest and arms....
so tell me why you cant deadlift with that bar? or clean the bar and do front squats or OHP?
also buy more weights (2) 45lb plates isnt gonna get you very far.

You have a barbell yet you claimed you could only do chest and arms....
so tell me why you cant deadlift with that bar? or clean the bar and do front squats or OHP?
also buy more weights (2) 45lb plates isnt gonna get you very far.

Probably didn't know about the exercises or didn't want to do them.

Well I bench 140lbs, curl 35 lbs, and lateral raises 20 lbs..I am 6'1 and weight around 165 lbs

Right now there are some teenage girls who weigh 40 pounds less than you who are probably warming up with your max weights.

I would suggest getting your squat up into the 400lb range, and your clean into the 250-300lb range. IMO, that would be the best thing you could do for your core.

Russian twists are great try them using a "Torsanator"
Knee tucks using an ab wheel, TRX, or stability ball.
Try Stuart Mcgills stirring the pot exercise using a stability ball.
Try front plank, progress by lifting a foot and an arm
Try side plank
Do some Kettle bell swings

I have been able to find effective workouts for everything except my core. I have tried the ab wheel and crunches but nothing seems to work. Lately I have been doing 4 sets of 20 crunches but I can never feel it the next day.

side bend
leg raises
russian twist

I dont know any better exercise for the core than overhead squats, both with barbell and single dumbell. A very distant second would be weighted controlled incline sit-ups, but that is a very distant second.

I "discovered" overhead squats late in life-maybe 6 years ago-something like that. Looking back in my training journal, I was starting to "stall" a bit on the big lifts-squat, deadlift, powerclean, etc and was wondering if the 40+ bug had hit me and that my best years were behind me, at least on the big lifts....along came Dan John's article and I gave OHS a shot....there is a learning curve involved...took me 5-6 sessions to get them down, but within two weeks, I saw an IMMEDIATE difference, especially in my squats. I can remember doing a particular weight for say 5 reps and having to "grind" them out, slowly and painfully, two weeks later I am doing 7 smooth reps with the same weight and you know how sometimes you finish a set and you feel like you just went 3 rounds with Brad Morris...(had the crap beat out of you) and other times, you finish a set and you are so energized that you actually "think" you could go three rounds with Brad...welll, that is how I felt after my set that day and just about every day since then.

I was a 700 plus drug free squatter early in my life and I retired from competitive lifting fairly early in life. I say without hesitation that if I had learned OHS as a teenager, I am confident that I would have squatted 800 at about the same age, give or take a year.

anyway, I like overhead squats....

I guess it all depends what your goals are. If you want a bigger squat then take Keith`s advice. If you want to be able to absorb body shots of have a dangerous guard game then you`ll need top train specifically for that. If you just want a 6 pack then go to bb.com.... oh, and read the FAQ.

If you are also currently doing DL and Squat, I would recommend weighted decline situps/ russian twists... I only get around to doing them once a week maybe less but I really enjoy it.

[...] I am definitely not wasting my time because I have lots of people always asking me if I lift weights so I must be doing something positive.

Gold.

I have an exercise that works great but you have to wait until the girlfriend leaves because it looks so god awful. Fill a 1L bottle halfway with water, hold it horizontally with your hands at each end, lock your elbows to your torso, and shake the bottle side to side for 1 minute at full intensity.

I have an exercise that works great but you have to wait until the girlfriend leaves because it looks so god awful. Fill a 1L bottle halfway with water, hold it horizontally with your hands at each end, lock your elbows to your torso, and shake the bottle side to side for 1 minute at full intensity.

More gold.

This would work even better if you just used the coca-cola bottle (with coke inside) and once finished put it back in the fridge for the girlfriend to open once she comes back.

This would work even better if you just used the coca-cola bottle (with coke inside) and once finished put it back in the fridge for the girlfriend to open once she comes back.

She has marine cousins, both over 24, who use deadlegs as a dispute resolution mechanism.

Back