Heat diner scene. Which two actors today could come closest to achieving the hype of De Niro/Pacino

Ronin was the last good "de nero" film he's been in I'd say.

The best part, among many great things in that movie, is DeNiro and Jean Reno's bromance. I wanted DeNiro to hook Reno up with some CIA gigs and get him paid. :(

The best part, among many great things in that movie, is DeNiro and Jean Reno's bromance. I wanted DeNiro to hook Reno up with some CIA gigs and get him paid. :(

Its a shame really that Ronin didn't get picked up on more at the time as I would have loved to see more Frankenheimer/De Niro films, maybe even a franchise with the same character. As it is by the time it was seriously getting talked up Frankenheimer had died.

In the Deniro role:
549ce29057039ae03c3f1fa8aada86c6.jpg

Vs the Pacino role:
MV5BMTkxMzk4MjQ4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzExODQxOA@@._V1_.jpg

There are other great actors that would do as good or better, but part of the reason this scene was so iconic was that you had two talented box office draws at their peak face off.

Kind of like Heat really, where I always saw it as a tragic story of a bromance forming out of a mutual respect, where inevitably one would have to take out the other. (This is why I'd say the diner scene isn't just a case of getting two actors of the same stature into a similar situation, because we're never going to get another Heat to set that scene)

I agree about Ronin as well. In a room full of hardass pros the weak get rooted out (dat boathouse at Hereford) and game recognizes game. I love that kind of shit. Everyone always thinking about who they can really trust, who they can count on, and this natural bond occurs between De Niro and Reno because they've seen something in each other. No homo, just respect.

Last edited:
Its a shame really that Ronin didn't get picked up on more at the time as I would have loved to see more Frankenheimer/De Niro films, maybe even a franchise with the same character. As it is by the time it was seriously getting talked up Frankenheimer had died.

Yeah, I loved the twist with DeNiro being a still active agent. Could have set up at least one more movie with his character and all the cloak and dagger stuff was fantastic.

Kind of like Heat really, where I always saw it as a tragic story of a bromance forming out of a mutual respect, where inevitably one would have take out the other.

I agree about Ronin as well. In a room full of hardass pros the weak get rooted out (dat boathouse at Hereford) and game recognizes game. I love that kind of shit. Everyone always thinking about who they can really trust, who they can count on, and this natural bond occurs between De Niro and Reno because they've seen something in each other. No homo, just respect.

Exactly, game recognizes game. Jean Reno's guy was about the only one who picked up on it. The knocking over the cup was cold and calculating and so, so slick. DeNiro's character was testing everyone in that room at all times and every single word he uttered had some other meaning or intention behind it.

Edit: I watched Ronin again last week as I do every year or two so it's all real fresh in my head right now. Even Gregor was a slick motherfucker.

Kind of like Heat really, where I always saw it as a tragic story of a bromance forming out of a mutual respect, where inevitably one would have take out the other. (This is why I'd say the diner scene isn't just a case of getting two actors of the same stature into a similar situation, because we're never going to get another Heat)

There was a thingy I saw, 'describe your favorite movie's plot in 5 words', I said 'Cop respects but chases robber.'

People are naming actors in same gerneration as them
Today I'd say tom hardy and Daniel Craig

That restaurant scene was so badass
Can't pick a winner, both held their own

Come to think of it, Leonardo DiCaprio going head to head with Christian Bale for the first time might be a pretty huge deal, that could be hyped in a similar way (especially if a great director like Scorsese was at the helm). I feel like they are equally respected as actors, and while DiCaprio is a bigger 'movie star', the general public still care about Bale because he was Batman in the most popular and beloved Batman movies. Also, they are around the same age and generation.

A lot of the actors people keep bringing up never had huge cache with the general public even if they were respected and award winners. Even when he was alive, the public would never get hyped up about Philip Seymour Hoffman going up against someone (and I rate him as an incredible actor). He was a valued character actor, but did not have the type of mainstream leading man status or impact that made Pacino and DeNiro a cultural event.

People are naming actors in same gerneration as them
Today I'd say tom hardy and Daniel Craig

No one would care. Nobody cares about Craig's work outside Bond, and while Hardy has cool points with a lot of fanboys, he's not a household name 'great actor' to the average moviegoer.

.... the type of mainstream leading man status or impact that made Pacino and DeNiro a cultural event.
That's rarified air that you don't see anymore, but PSH was essentially there post-CAPOTE. He was adored and highly sought.

Yeah, I loved the twist with DeNiro being a still active agent. Could have set up at least one more movie with his character and all the cloak and dagger stuff was fantastic.

Spielberg obviously loved Michael Longdale in this as he's basically playing the same character in Munich.

And Brad Pitt is a fookin' can. He hasn't been good in years. Stop bringing him up.

That's rarified air that you don't see anymore, but PSH was essentially there post-CAPOTE. He was adored and highly sought.

Within the industry, yes. To the average moviegoer, no. Capote made less than 30 million dollars at the US box office. It was not a cultural phenomenon or a film that members of the public became obsessed about and quoted. It was successful oscarbait for one Oscar season that is pretty much forgotten about these days. It's well made, but Capote is one of those films you only watch once, if you even watch it at all.

PSH was hugely respected in the industry (Even before Capote), and he had some name recignition to the public as a respected character actor, but not to the level where him going up against DDL or Denzel or Leo becomes a cultural event.

I would say Heath Ledger got far closer to that status after he played The Joker in The Dark Knight, than PSH ever managed in his lifetime.

Last edited:
Back