Has Jon Jones ever been penalized

there is no rule against keeping your hand open, but if you poke your opponent, or even if it is claimed to be inadvertent as they 'run into it', that is different than a true accident.

I'm fine with BJM warning guys in advance, because they hide behind a lack of intent, when really it is often negligence, IMHO.

You hope refs mistreat fighters for rules the ref wants to make up on their own?? Good luck with that.

How many times has Jones even poked someone in the eye? Certainly never been penalized.

reword it however you like. my answer is still yes

That DQ was bullshit and everyone knows it.

34hgfah_jpg.gif

Everyone knows those were legal elbows...

Get ready for a bunch of gifs and pictures showing no eye pokes lol. Also Big John has reffed two of his fights already, he's not gonna stop Jon from kicking your favorite fighters ass people.

I remember the Vitor fight, what other fight did BJM ref?

Edit: nvmd, it was the Machida fight. I forgot about all the crying after that one.

there is no rule against keeping your hand open, but if you poke your opponent, or even if it is claimed to be inadvertent as they 'run into it', that is different than a true accident.

I'm fine with BJM warning guys in advance, because they hide behind a lack of intent, when really it is often negligence, IMHO.

exactly.

if a fighter kicks a guy near the balls and a ref says "watch your kicks" no one would complain.

but for some reason, people are really sensitive about this today.

Last edited:
In between rounds of the Vitor fight (don't remember which break) BJM came to Jon's corner and said something along the lines of "All I need from you is to not keep your hand open" - not a direct quote. I don't know of any rule that says you're not allowed to do that, and he was not penalized for it. I don't recall him ever being penalized for an eye poke in any other fight.

He called Jones on it a few times during the fight, too.

Obviously my sig and av will reveal my bias but I genuinely feel like Big John is making up rules. I understand the thought process but I'd actually like to hear from a higher up in a regulatory body to see if he's even allowed to do this.

In between rounds of the Vitor fight (don't remember which break) BJM came to Jon's corner and said something along the lines of "All I need from you is to not keep your hand open" - not a direct quote. I don't know of any rule that says you're not allowed to do that, and he was not penalized for it. I don't recall him ever being penalized for an eye poke in any other fight.

thats probably it, thanks.

if you're gonna get penalized, make sure it counts.

in other words, aim for the eyes.

He keeps his hand open/fingers out a LOT. I saw a picture the other day of him doing it against Machida, he noticeably poked Rampage a few times, and I thought it caught it once in the Rashad fight.

Edit - Found it. Not necessarily a poke, but it's something that shouldn't happen with any frequency in my opinion.

Jones-Machida-1.jpg

funnily enough, though, i have no issue with straight kicking the knee, and others do.

I've always wondered why we don't see more of this. Is it widely considered unethical by the fighters? An unwritten rule not to do it maybe, since it could end a career or put a guy on the shelf for a year. Frankly, it seems like a last-resort self-defense technique to me, but if it's legal, then so be it. Let the athletic commissions deal it.

He keeps his hand open/fingers out a LOT. I saw a picture the other day of him doing it against Machida, he noticeably poked Rampage a few times, and I thought it caught it once in the Rashad fight.

Edit - Found it. Not necessarily a poke, but it's something that shouldn't happen with any frequency in my opinion.

Jones-Machida-1.jpg

So do a lot of guys. It's what happens in a combat sport with open gloves. You can find pics of just about every fighter with the hands open or fingers near the eyes of opponent if you try hard enough.

Don't believe me? Check this out:

20091026120308_IMG_9973.JPG

Here's Machida with a palm in Shogun's face. Very cheap technique that could have damaged Shogun's eyes.

mma_e_machida3_sy_600.jpg

Here he is with an open palm near Rampage's eyes. (Failed poke attempt?)

112fp5l.gif

Here he is holding Rashad at bay with threat of an eye poke before countering. (Looks like Rashad tried to do the same.)

When are they going to ban this cheat from sport? :rolleyes:

Seriously, you guys need to GTFO with this shit. It's embarrassing.

For all the complaining, Jones has never been penalized for an eye poke nor had the action stopped to let an opponent recover from a supposed poke.

So do a lot of guys. It's what happens in a combat sport with open gloves. You can find pics of just about every fighter with the hands open or fingers near the eyes of opponent if you try hard enough.

Here's Machida with a palm in Shogun's face. Very cheap technique that could have damaged Shogun's eyes.

112fp5l.gif

Here he is holding Rashad at bay with threat of an eye poke before countering. (Looks like Rashad tried to do the same.)

For all the complaining, Jones has never been penalized for an eye poke nor had the action stopped to let an opponent recover from a supposed poke.

Great post. As I suspected would happen this thread has very few replies. People love to gang bash Jones but when prompted for proof the herd thins quite rapidly. It's not about like or dislike of Jones. It's about not making up lies. This place is full of childish and easily led individuals. Again, great post. It will be interesting to see the rationalizations people come up with to defend others doing what they only accuse Jones of doing.

I wasn't saying it doesn't happen. It's just become something that seems to happen/come up every time Jones has fought with a title on the line. He noticeably poked Rampage in the eye at least once, and I remember him putting his hands with extended fingers in the face of both Rashad and Belfort. While it isn't illegal to do that, it seemed intentional against both of these fighters, if memory serves.

I will admit, I could remember incorrect things, or have fabricated the entire thing due to excessive Jones hatred.

Also, I noticed you focused on Machida. I only remembered seeing that picture. I actually didn't think that Jones had even come close to poking Machida in the eye. The Rampage incident was the only one I was crystal clear on, but when that happened it was quite the controversy and I assumed in the first 3 pages someone else would have touched on it.

Last edited:

112fp5l.gif

/Thread

He was penalized for elbows to the downed Matt Hamill. That was pretty severe IMO.

ye his only blemish on a perfect record...

but hamill was pretty messed up after the fight

34hgfah_jpg.gif

He was penalized for elbows to the downed Matt Hamill. That was pretty severe IMO.

I have to agree,Matt was destroyed before the elbows were thrown.while the elbows did land,Matt was not at a disadvantage specifically because of those elbows.

112fp5l.gif

Machida practices both Karate and sumo, both are common to use palm strikes over closed hand blows to prevent broken knuckles in practice. Striking/defending with an open palm is different than just keeping your hand on/near your opponent's face to block their vision. Jones does it to size up his range and to keep them from being able to see what he is about to do. Machida was just striking or counter-striking. There is a very big difference between the two, even if it looks the same in a still frame.

"Here he is holding Rashad at bay with threat of an eye poke before countering." serioiusly? What he was doing is elementary karate striking. Parry your opponent, counter strike.

Personally, I don't really like Jones' trickery but i don't think he should be penalized for it unless he does poke someone. I think if he is warned and continues to do it, however, he should be penalized. Too many guys ignore warnings i.e. grabbing the cage or shorts of their opponent, because they very rarely get a point deducted for it. I also agree that perhaps machida should be more careful with his palm strikes as he could seriously damage an eye socket with them.

112fp5l.gif

You honestly just used some of the worst hyperbole I've ever seen. There is a huge difference between what Jones does (which is to gauge distance and keep his opponent away from him) and what Machida is doing in every single one of those pics.

Top two are actual palm strikes, as mentioned above. The one on Rampage was NOWHERE near his eyes so you can drop that one right there with your trolly "failed eyepoke" crap. The one on Shogun has no fingers in danger of poking his eyes. They're all straight, away from his eyes, and only the palm is in contact. AKA, a palm strike.

The one on Rashad is even less close, his hand never comes close to doing anything remotely near an eye poke.

Troll harder. What Jones is doing is PAWING. He's trying to keep his opponent away, not necessarily with the intent of an eye poke but that danger is there. When he makes contact his fingers make contact. Not just his palm. This is the same technique that ended Davis/Prado I. Go watch that before you spew more of your crap. What he does is dangerous. It's not illegal so there's nothing to penalize him for so I'm not gonna call him a cheat. He can do it within the rules so have at it. But the danger is there and the concern is warranted. It can end fights in a bad way and should probably be looked at.

That was for elbows. Has he been penalized for eye pokes or are you thinking i'm stupid enough to follow your weak trail of correlation?

So you don't want to have a discussion about dirty fighting. You just want to make a point that you don't think Jones is a dirty fighter, based on the fact that he's never been penalized for eye pokes, and you would like everyone to just accept that and agree.

On the spectrum of fighters, Jones is a dirty fighter. He pushes the envelope of the rules quite regularly. Yes he's been DQ'd for 12-6 elbows, but we've also seen him throw elbows at the throat of an opponent and get warned for head butting. I don't blame him for living on the edge. But don't sit there and tell me that he doesn't deserve a little rep for being dirty. Cuz he's earned it.

Back