Has any MMA/ UFC Fighter ever been truely world class at 2 arts

Georges St Pierre

serrapierrefinish.gif

displayimagedisplayimag.jpg

How would you figure? His kicks? His mma/boxing stance that would open him up to headkicks?

Might as well say he'd could be world class in Jiu jitsu, we haven't seen any of it.

Boxing and Kickboxing are similar in some ways. BJJ isn't at all. Dos Santos could train to improve his striking and he could do great in Kickboxing. Other fighters did it and many didn't expect them to do so well.

I don't include Boxing because at this stage it would be too difficult.

Schilt get's owned in MMA. Steven Seagal could be, just ask him. And of course, Chuck Norris.

What does that have to do with anything? Dude is a ridiculously accomplished striker, and former King of Pancrase. Being able to put it all together isn't a requirement of the thread, just exceptional talent in varying martial arts.

How would you figure? His kicks? His mma/boxing stance that would open him up to headkicks?

Dude what are you talking about? If you're in a narrow, bladed stance or a more squared stance, your head is gonna be in the same place. Nak Muay stand a bit more squared up than most boxers, and a lot of MMA fighters adopt this stance so they can hip into shots. JDS's more bladed stance works perfectly fine in kickboxing and mma for that matter.

What does that have to do with anything? Dude is a ridiculously accomplished striker, and former King of Pancrase. Being able to put it all together isn't a requirement of the thread, just exceptional talent in varying martial arts.

exactly....former pancrase champ....has victories in both the UFC and former Pride and is a 5 time k1/glory champ

don't think many fighters can say they have achieved what semmy has achieved

for me MMA and K1 don't count, the stand-up aspect is too similar.

JDS or Overeem get by doing the same thing in K1 as they do in MMA, keep it standing and outstrike their opponents.

I disagree. MMA requires TDD and a grappling strategy (for clinches and stuff), which alters greatly the stand-up aspect.

Boxing and Kickboxing are similar in some ways. BJJ isn't at all. Dos Santos could train to improve his striking and he could do great in Kickboxing. Other fighters did it and many didn't expect them to do so well.

I don't include Boxing because at this stage it would be too difficult.

As if changing from boxing to kickbox wouldn't be? He has to learn to anticipate kicks a lot more than in mma, which wouldnt work with his stance. He has to completely change his striking game to compete. He can't just learn that at this stage...

At least with boxing he can further improve on his current skills and doesn't have to completely change his game. I know you belittle kickboxing in your posts, but that's just ridiculous.

I'm highly dissappointed in all those not giving Anderson credit for his BJJ skills.

This was the man who once handled the Michael Jordan of BJJ....

Oh and on a serious not Chuck probably came close at his peak, wrestling and kickboxing.

As if changing from boxing to kickbox wouldn't be? He has to learn to anticipate kicks a lot more than in mma, which wouldnt work with his stance. He has to completely change his striking game to compete. He can't just learn that at this stage...

At least with boxing he can further improve on his current skills and doesn't have to completely change his game. I know you belittle kickboxing in your posts, but that's just rediculous.

I don't belittle Kickboxing, I used to watch it a lot actually and still watch some matches. I'm just giving my opinion. It's obvious Boxing is more difficult to be elite at than Kickboxing. That's just how it is. Dos Santos is talented enough and has good enough Boxing to be at a world-class level.

Has any MMA/ UFC Fighter ever been truely world class at 2 arts

I'm trying to think of guys who could legit compete eg in K-1 and World Grappling competitions or even boxing to a decent level?

Anybody know anybody like this?

Ever heard of K-1 Werdum, Maia, or Hughes? :p

Seriously, though, Overeem is the only MMA fighter I can think of who is a K-1 Champ as well as an ADCC euro qualifier winner.

Terribly phrased question, no offense. It presupposes the answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back