Has any MMA/ UFC Fighter ever been truely world class at 2 arts

Explain, please?

I saw your post about cardio and that could have been a factor. I'm just basing it on talent. Assuming BJ goes to the right weight division for him and trained hard, I just think he'd have been more successful than Diaz in Boxing.

Isn't his record a bit mediocre?

How about Kid Yamamoto?

I think Anderson did good in Muay Thai. Kid gave Zambidis a competitive fight while it lasted and his base was Wrestling so you have a point there.

What does that have to do with anything? Dude is a ridiculously accomplished striker, and former King of Pancrase. Being able to put it all together isn't a requirement of the thread, just exceptional talent in varying martial arts.

He's a mediocre technical striker, that's all he is. His advantage comes from being 7 feet tall and 290 lbs. He rarely beat anyone who was close to his size, even the big headed Korean dude, Hong Man Choi, got a decision win over him. Peter Aerts, who's old as fuck beat him too.

I think Anderson did good in Muay Thai. Kid gave Zambidis a competitive fight while it lasted and his base was Wrestling so you have a point there.

Yeah, Kid was an excellent wrestler by all accounts.

If any of you think that any mma fighter could be an elite boxer or k1 fighter and be an elite wressler or bjj guy, well, you are out of your mind. Let alone, few guys are elite at just one discipline.
Btw there is absolutely no guy in mma that would be an elite boxer lol, are you out of your mind? Lol at Nick Diaz, BJ ...Edgar LOL...

Edgar would do better in boxing, than Penn.

Penn has fuck-all for cardio, and it's sort of a requirement for the sport.

The cardio used for boxing and grappling are completely different. I've trained with people who could go all day on the mits/heavy bag but gas defending a few takedowns.

He's a mediocre technical striker, that's all he is. His advantage comes from being 7 feet tall and 290 lbs. He rarely beat anyone who was close to his size, even the big headed Korean dude, Hong Man Choi, got a decision win over him. Peter Aerts, who's old as fuck beat him too.

You're aware Hong Man Choi's decision win was a dodgy hometown job? Simply being big just doesn't cut it. Hong Man Choi would have ended up a longtime champ, rather than a glorified sideshow act, if that were true.

I saw your post about cardio and that could have been a factor. I'm just basing it on talent. Assuming BJ goes to the right weight division for him and trained hard, I just think he'd have been more successful than Diaz in Boxing.

I can't rightly see how, to be honest, but then again...I can't even imagine a BJ that trains seriously and is consistently in good shape and taking smart fights and etc....so maybe that has something to do with it.

I think Diaz would do far better than (any version of) BJ in boxing.

That's one of the points I bring up, not to discredit Kickboxing but to show how much higher the skill level in Boxing is generally.

If any of you think that any mma fighter could be an elite boxer or k1 fighter and be an elite wressler or bjj guy, well, you are out of your mind. Let alone, few guys are elite at just one discipline.

Overeem did it so I think other MMA fighters who are more talented than him could too.

The cardio used for boxing and grappling are completely different. I've trained with people who could go all day on the mits/heavy bag but gas defending a few takedowns.

...and that applies to BJ's horrid cardio, why exactly? Dude gasses out inside of 2 rounds regardless of what he is doing.

Edgar would do better in boxing, than Penn.

Penn has fuck-all for cardio, and it's sort of a requirement for the sport.

Maybe edgar would be better in boxing... Hard to say without kicks and takedowns that he would outstrike bj penn. But nonetheless he's not woRld class in bjj... Penns cardio didn't look bad in the sean sherk fight and I took the question as any fighter at any point in there career I guess

You're aware Hong Man Choi's decision win was a dodgy hometown job? Simply being big just doesn't cut it. Hong Man Choi would have ended up a longtime champ, rather than a glorified sideshow act, if that were true.

I agree but still if Choi had faced the best Heavyweight Boxer at the time which would have been Wladimir he'd have been koed.

I can't rightly see how, to be honest, but then again...I can't even imagine a BJ that trains seriously and is consistently in good shape and taking smart fights and etc....so maybe that has something to do with it.

I think Diaz would do far better than (any version of) BJ in boxing.

I get your points.

Jones has amazing and could develop great BJJ as well.

jones is not an elite striker and would get killed in k1 and boxing
he would get ragdolled by any olympic wressler
he would get tapped by a guy like Estima or Drysdale in under 1 minute.
And btw i like Jones, he's the lhw goat but mma is an ocean of knowledge with few inches of depth. If you pick just one discipline, it's a deep ass pool.

Maybe edgar would be better in boxing... Hard to say without kicks and takedowns that he would outstrike bj penn. But nonetheless he's not woRld class in bjj... Penns cardio didn't look bad in the sean sherk fight and I took the question as any fighter at any point in there career I guess

Sherk was more or less a stationary target with t-rex arms though. Edgar's movement, over the course of a boxing match, would be murder on BJ's gas tank, imo. I think he'd pick up a pretty lopsided decision over Penn in a ring.

That's one of the points I bring up, not to discredit Kickboxing but to show how much higher the skill level in Boxing is generally.

Overeem did it so I think other MMA fighters who are more talented than him could too.

he is a great at k1 but he is not an elite wressler or an elite bjj guy. You think he can go to any adcc tourney and hold his own against Drysdale, Estima or Werdum? Lol....

jones is not an elite striker and would get killed in k1 and boxing
he would get ragdolled by any olympic wressler
he would get tapped by a guy like Estima or Drysdale in under 1 minute.
And btw i like Jones, he's the lhw goat but mma is an ocean of knowledge with few inches of depth. If you pick just one discipline, it's a deep ass pool.

LOL @ Jones being ragdolled by olympic wrestlers. He has much better TDD and arsenal of TDs than guys like Hendo or Matt Lindland.

Back