Has any MMA/ UFC Fighter ever been truely world class at 2 arts

Fedor: Sambo and Judo

Fedor could be included in the thread if we're talking about any two Combat Sports.

jones is not an elite striker and would get killed in k1 and boxing
he would get ragdolled by any olympic wressler
he would get tapped by a guy like Estima or Drysdale in under 1 minute.
And btw i like Jones, he's the lhw goat but mma is an ocean of knowledge with few inches of depth. If you pick just one discipline, it's a deep ass pool.

People aren't assuming Jones would just go there and succeed, if Jones trained specifically for any of those sports he'd have potential to do well.

he is a great at k1 but he is not an elite wressler or an elite bjj guy. You think he can go to any adcc tourney and hold his own against Drysdale, Estima or Werdum? Lol....

It's late here I didn't get your point my bad.

LOL @ Jones being ragdolled by olympic wrestlers. He has much better TDD and arsenal of TDs than guys like Hendo or Matt Lindland.

....He's talking about non-MMA competitions, and he is correct. In a wrestling match with olympians, Jones would get flung around like a frisbee.

LOL @ Jones being ragdolled by olympic wrestlers. He has much better TDD and arsenal of TDs than guys like Hendo or Matt Lindland.

I don't know much about wrestling, but I don't think Henderson and Lindland would do as well if they were to compete in Olympic wrestling now.

Aye, true. Possibly overlooked due to the mess he left himself in.

Yeah, that's a very possible reason. Another reason, I think, is simply time. Stars come and go, and they're all will be soon forgotten when new ones arrive on the scene. Guys like Anderson and GSP are super stars now, but I bet in 5-10 years, people will stop caring about them once they're no longer at the top.

Yeah, that's a very possible reason. Another reason, I think, is simply time. Stars come and go, and they're all will be soon forgotten when new ones arrive on the scene. Guys like Anderson and GSP are super stars now, but I bet in 5-10 years, people will stop caring about them once they're no longer at the top.

Maybe not care so much but GSP and Anderson will be remembered by MMA fans.

In a PURE wresslin match? remember, we are talking about specific disciplines. If you think that Jones can go to the olympics and take on any 200lb wressler and do well, you are dead wrong.
See, that's my point. If you claim to be elite at something it is because you already competed and did good at the highest level of that discipline.
If you pit GSP against Askren, Koscheck or Fitch to have a folkstyle wresslin match, you think he would beat them? Hell no.
And finally, mma has elite bjj guys, wresslers and k1-kickboxing guys but there are zero elite boxers. If they were elite at boxing they would have left long ago to make millions. If you pick the best boxers in mma (Anderson, Arlovski, BJ, KJ Noons or Diaz) to fight elite boxers they would get smashed into oblivion.

Last edited:
Sherk was more or less a stationary target with t-rex arms though. Edgar's movement, over the course of a boxing match, would be murder on BJ's gas tank, imo. I think he'd pick up a pretty lopsided decision over Penn in a ring.

You could be right I'm just throwing out names, what about lil nog?

True. Kerr's been off the radar for years now. His attempted comeback was a disaster, which didn't help.

This is stupid.

The moment you decide to do MMA you stop training one art 100% thus obviously you're never going to be a top 10 guy unless you're remarkably talented. Because the top 10 guys generally practice that art 100%

If by world class you mean say top 50-100 then i'm sure there are many who are qualified.

I'm trying to think of guys who could legit compete eg in K-1 and World Grappling competitions or even boxing to a decent level?

Anybody know anybody like this?

shogun in his prime could compete in muay thai and bjj, fedor in mma and sambo.

Surprised no one has said Schilt yet.

Sadly most people don't even know he fought in the UFC and had an actually solid MMA career with 41 pro fights.

Schilt get's owned in MMA. Steven Seagal could be, just ask him. And of course, Chuck Norris.

:rolleyes:

The cardio used for boxing and grappling are completely different. I've trained with people who could go all day on the mits/heavy bag but gas defending a few takedowns.

Penn gasses either way, IIRC the Diaz fight didn't involved much grappling.

You're aware Hong Man Choi's decision win was a dodgy hometown job? Simply being big just doesn't cut it. Hong Man Choi would have ended up a longtime champ, rather than a glorified sideshow act, if that were true.

Dude, I saw the fight and it was close enough to justify giving it to Choi although I thought Semmy won as well. The fact is Choi hung in there, a freak'n Korean wrestler with almost no boxing or kick boxing background, for the entire fight with Schilt who you consider an elite striker. Come on! The reason isn't because Choi was so good, it's because Schilt made a career out of beating guys who were 6 - 10 inches shorter and 40 - 60 lbs lighter. That's like calling GSP the GOAT when he fights at 170lbs but only against bantam weights.

Fedor Emelianenko had multiple gold medals in Sambo and Judo, on the National and World levels. Not to mention his decorated MMA career.

I'm not sure what you mean. MMA fighters are more well-rounded but it doesn't mean they are more skilled than Boxers.

Other than Wrestling what do you think he'd be world-class in?
More skills = more skilled

I'm trying to think of guys who could legit compete eg in K-1 and World Grappling competitions or even boxing to a decent level?

Anybody know anybody like this?

well, there are tons where we "perceive" them to excel in 2 facets of MMA.

For instance, Aldo. His standup is amazing, yet we always hear that his BJJ is even better (but we never get to see it).

We have also guys like GSP where you can see he has good wrestling (I think he almost made or was an Olympic alternate) and also a BB in BJJ.

You also have Werdum and his newly improved standup who was already an accomplished ACDD winner in BJJ.

Same goes for big Nog who's BJJ is out of the question, while he improved tremendously his standup under Doria....

And his brother, who was a boxer and is also a legend in BJJ...

Or Machida with Karate and BJJ...

Hope I gave some good examples :)

Back