Harry Potter movies s--- on Star Wars at this stage

Closet Potter fan..

I have watched the box set through multiple times.. about due to do them in again..
I have watched the original Star War Trilogy a lot.. but at this point I think Potter is the better series.

We're rewatching the Potters again at the moment, only the last two to go

is anyone taking either original franchise over LoTR?

with a straight face?

I just bought the trilogy on Blu Ray, will watch them for the first time soon

Man I have the same exact opinion as the OP. I grew up loving Star Wars. Born in 72. But the Prequels were terrible, the only actor any good was Liam Neeson. Portman was ok, but the rest were terrible. So miscast, and terrible dialogue. The last few were SJW dogshit. I did like Rogue One and enjoyed Solo though. Potter was strong throughout and we grew with the cast, very uniques films.
I have a soft spot for Phantom Menace, it does at the very least lend nicely to the legend, the whole Tatooine sequence is fun to me. Clone Wars & Revenge were almost unbearable to watch last time I tried. The new trilogy is tough, I tried watching Force Awakens recently with the intent of watching all three new ones as I am still yet to get the balls to watch Rise, but I failed to get through TFA

I was born in the 70's before you fucks start using words like boomer or whatever, I still have no idea what that shit means

I grew up with Star Wars, loved it like one should love their own sibling, but like all siblings they had a load of cunt kids and now I can't even visit them at Christmas any more.

Thank god for Harry Potter movies, more fun, darker, better humour, better actors, better sets. Plus Richard Fucking Harris

The new Star Wars movies could have been good if they'd used the Harry Potter cast
HauntingImpishAfricanelephant-size_restricted.gif

I will give it to Potter on the basis of a more coherent story, and it's creator not jumping ship for cash. Favereau and Filoni have shown that there are still good SW stories to be made when care is taken to support the fans. The Disney trilogy shit all over the old fan base in hopes of cultivating a new one. Only the story was shit and it flopped, so everyone jumped ship.

I will give it to Potter on the basis of a more coherent story, and it's creator not jumping ship for cash. Favereau and Filoni have shown that there are still good SW stories to be made when care is taken to support the fans. The Disney trilogy shit all over the old fan base in hopes of cultivating a new one. Only the story was shit and it flopped, so everyone jumped ship.

I had no idea Faverau was involved with star wars now. Makes sense that fans are loving the mandalorian more than the movies.

Well TESB blows any HP movie out of the water easily.
I like PT more than any HP movie. HP easily better than these new SW movies combined.

And really, SW has Vader. HP just doesn't stand a chance at all just because of that, like zero chance

As my favorite yes, but LOTR are just better movies easily.
I find them dated, and hampered by embryonic special effects, similar to the deplorable Prequels (which also share an "airless" sort of atmosphere*). Even though THE HOBBIT isn't more "real," and its story is certainly not better, I think Jackson was more successful there with its vivid aesthetics. Fewer warts.

I find most STAR WARS to be fairly timeless, universally accessible, and more palpably textured. And *it's sort of ironic how the Prequels are so dead and lifeless in live-action, but the CG CLONE WARS still feels vibrant and alive. I guess it's because even though STAR WARS is a huge franchise, its scope is really quite small-scale. The bigger it gets the harder it becomes to satisfy (that's what she said).

If the would've made star wars movies like the game cinematics.

I had no idea Faverau was involved with star wars now. Makes sense that fans are loving the mandalorian more than the movies.
Yeah, he writes, and just directed the season 2 premiere.

I think Potter also learned the lesson of LOTR earlier in terms of respecting your fanbase, I'v never read the books but the first two films to me come across as quite bland/standard young adult blockbusters which wouldnt have had a long term future yet they turned it around hiring Curton to make Azkerban into something much more serious which really set the tone for the whole franchise after that point.

Disney with Starwars I think learnt exactly the wrong lesson, they probably looked to the negative reaction to the prequels that IMHO focused too much on the idea those films took themselves too seriously and on the short term sucess of Abrams Trek reboot. The lesson was basically we need to make quite light formulaic films full of nostalgia references.

The massive sucess of TFA I'm sure convinced them they were right but I would argue really that films sucess was mostly pent up demand, not just over a decade since the prequels ended up 30+ years since we'd seen Han, Leia, Luke, etc. Honestly an hour of Ford playing Han in a space dive bar would have draw massive audiences(and probably been far better).

I suspect as well that alot of suits mistake what the appeal of the Marvel films is as well, thinking its moreso the lighter more cartoonish elements.

Last edited:
I was born in the 70's before you fucks start using words like boomer or whatever, I still have no idea what that shit means

I grew up with Star Wars, loved it like one should love their own sibling, but like all siblings they had a load of cunt kids and now I can't even visit them at Christmas any more.

Thank god for Harry Potter movies, more fun, darker, better humour, better actors, better sets. Plus Richard Fucking Harris

The new Star Wars movies could have been good if they'd used the Harry Potter cast
HauntingImpishAfricanelephant-size_restricted.gif
you probably got bullied in the 80s for being an idiot and make comparisons like that

They seem to go in reverse in themes. HP started out more kid friendly then became adult, whereas starwars was reverse of that starting out to what's out today. The Mandalorian was a good approach ot the themes to me.

I tend to like things that are more gritty, dark, and hopeless, so whatever fits that bill is good in my books.

They seem to go in reverse in themes. HP started out more kid friendly then became adult, whereas starwars was reverse of that starting out to what's out today. The Mandalorian was a good approach ot the themes to me.

I tend to like things that are more gritty, dark, and hopeless, so whatever fits that bill is good in my books.
That would be my preferred tone of movie as well

With regards to Mando, I finally went back to series one after getting put off by the farming episode and Bill Burr.
Glad I did because episode 7 was fantastic, haven't seen the finale yet or the first episode of series 2

Nice. Those two are terrible episodes, and there are probably better versions of them in CLONE WARS. SW has stripmined the SEVEN SAMURAI plot down to its bones. And visual monotony is very claustrophobic unless presented expertly, which is more easily cheated in animation.

I’ve only seen the first five Harry potters and it’s been a while, but I remember 3, 4, and 5 being pretty decent movies.

Star Wars really only had 3 good movies imo, the original trilogy.

both franchises are pretty over hyped imo, there’s a lot better fantasy/sci fi movies out there

I’ve only seen the first five Harry potters and it’s been a while, but I remember 3, 4, and 5 being pretty decent movies.

Star Wars really only had 3 good movies imo, the original trilogy.

both franchises are pretty over hyped imo, there’s a lot better fantasy/sci fi movies out there
And movies 6, 7, and 8 are all as good or better than 3, 4, 5.

Back