Harry Potter movies s--- on Star Wars at this stage

I was born in the 70's before you fucks start using words like boomer or whatever, I still have no idea what that shit means

I grew up with Star Wars, loved it like one should love their own sibling, but like all siblings they had a load of cunt kids and now I can't even visit them at Christmas any more.

Thank god for Harry Potter movies, more fun, darker, better humour, better actors, better sets. Plus Richard Fucking Harris

The new Star Wars movies could have been good if they'd used the Harry Potter cast
HauntingImpishAfricanelephant-size_restricted.gif
You're deluded.

I just never really got into the potter universe. Too...friendly for me.

Its like watching sesame street try to be gothic

By order of the court???

giphy-1.gif
I was going to start a thread recently stating 'Glen Close and John Turturro are the best actors to never have won an Oscar'

Have you ever seen Five Corners? John Turturro is amazing in it

I was going to start a thread recently stating 'Glen Close and John Turturro are the best actors to never have won an Oscar'

Have you ever seen Five Corners? John Turturro is amazing in it
I'll check it out.

For me Glenn Close got a lot of (well-deserved) attention in the late 80s for FATAL ATTRACTION. The person I'd pair with Turturro in the Severely Underrated Category is Toni Collette. It's shocking how easily Turturro can secrete himself into any film. He never sticks out.

I just never really got into the potter universe. Too...friendly for me.

Its like watching sesame street try to be gothic
You're right they are very light weight, but they do have a darker tone as they go on

Harry and Ron try fucking two Asian twins at one point, then Harry porks a light skin Asian chick later before getting with a 'ranga.
Hymony fucks a Bulgarian footballer or something

I'll check it out.

For me Glenn Close got a lot of (well-deserved) attention in the late 80s for FATAL ATTRACTION. The person I'd pair with Turturro in the Severely Underrated Category is Toni Collette. It's shocking how easily Turturro can secrete himself into any film. He never sticks out.
Five Corners is not a great film as such, but it's worth watching for Turturro alone, one of the most brutally unsettling psychopaths in movie history

You're approaching this from the perspective of a film critiic. What performance? Theres no performance in books, its just story telling. The performance is in your own imagination. In this case the actor may be showing off his range but he didn't do justice to the character and he didn't add value to the story.

Dumbledore is supposed to be gentle, calm, wise and more than anything, he's just a funny goofball despite his status. Hes actually hilarious in the books. That's why i ask if you read the books first? You'd see how badly the movie version falls short.

I did read the books and have to agree with madmick on this. Your impression of Dumbledore as a sweet, gentle, kindly and silly old man perhaps aligns with the simple perception of him Harry has during his first year at Hogwarts at 11 years old. I think in this way it was fitting that Harris's one-dimensional Dumbledore existed in the first 2 seasons. However, as Harry evolves as a person and his understanding of people and life matures, Dumbledore absolutely becomes a character of many dimensions.

Did you also forget the internal conflict Harry went through as a result of Rita Skeeter's 'The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore'? The revelations in that book brought to light that Dumbledore's life had a complicated and controversial history. And of course there's Harry's exploration of Dumbledore's memories through the pensieve. There was far, far more to Dumbledore than a kindly old goofball to children. Without a doubt Gamdon elevated that character.

Closet Potter fan..

I have watched the box set through multiple times.. about due to do them in again..
I have watched the original Star War Trilogy a lot.. but at this point I think Potter is the better series.

Indeed, that level is unmatched to this day

I'm still trying to find in my heart the strenght to forgive them casting Bloom as Legolas, though

He was fine in the LoTR trilogy. But it turned silly, and to dog shit, in The Hobbit trilogy.

As for the OP, I agree. I was a huge Star Wars guy as a kid. Obsessed would be the word I'd use. Then, the prequels came out. Yeah, fuck Lucas and SW.

My kid became a Harry Potter fan when he was about 5. By the time he was 7, I was reading him the books. Love the HP universe. To this day (he's 20 now) we still sit down and watch the movies, but I've only read the books once. And Gambon is Dumbledore (taking nothing away from the late great Richard Harris)

And LOTR does indeed >>>>>>>>>>>> all.

Man I have the same exact opinion as the OP. I grew up loving Star Wars. Born in 72. But the Prequels were terrible, the only actor any good was Liam Neeson. Portman was ok, but the rest were terrible. So miscast, and terrible dialogue. The last few were SJW dogshit. I did like Rogue One and enjoyed Solo though. Potter was strong throughout and we grew with the cast, very uniques films.

You're right they are very light weight, but they do have a darker tone as they go on

Harry and Ron try fucking two Asian twins at one point, then Harry porks a light skin Asian chick later before getting with a 'ranga.
Hymony fucks a Bulgarian footballer or something

being teens constitute being dark?

How can you not like something that makes you walk around saying HAAAAIRY BAAAALLLSACK in an elfish voice
First everyone wouldn't STFU about the books for years. Then the movies came out and even more people wouldn't STFU about those for years.

It was like the Wire of fantasy series. All the hype made me stay far away from it.

I did read the books and have to agree with madmick on this. Your impression of Dumbledore as a sweet, gentle, kindly and silly old man perhaps aligns with the simple perception of him Harry has during his first year at Hogwarts at 11 years old. I think in this way it was fitting that Harris's one-dimensional Dumbledore existed in the first 2 seasons. However, as Harry evolves as a person and his understanding of people and life matures, Dumbledore absolutely becomes a character of many dimensions.

Did you also forget the internal conflict Harry went through as a result of Rita Skeeter's 'The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore'? The revelations in that book brought to light that Dumbledore's life had a complicated and controversial history. And of course there's Harry's exploration of Dumbledore's memories through the pensieve. There was far, far more to Dumbledore than a kindly old goofball to children. Without a doubt Gamdon elevated that character.

Dumbledore was never a one dimensional character, anyone suggesting that either wasn't paying attention or is bending things to fit a false narrative. He was never just some kindly, funny old man that's insane. From the beginning we already see him as the most powerful wizard, respected and feared by all others even voldermort. In fact his powers and wisdom seem to have no limit, especially to Harry. That's what makes his eccentric, goofy personality so much more interesting. But the character was always shrouded in mystery.

When we start learning more about his flawed past it has a bigger impact, both on the readers and on Harry. That's the sort of arc that serves the story and takes us deeper into it. Unfortunately the movies butchered this, both actors. They failed to establish him in the first half, and failed even worse with his development. That screaming, hysterical, grumpy version of him towards the end is more like a first year film student's interpretation of wizard headmaster.

You've actually got it backwards. It's the film version thats one dimensional, they just swapped him from a boring, brooding old man to a shouty, theatrical old man. That elevated the character? Did the last season of game of thrones also elevate the series? Because i'm sure they thought they were making those characters more interesting and unpredictable.

This is the fundamental difference between people who understand good story telling and people who are impressed by surface gimmicks that are so common in movies nowadays. Unfortunately too many movie audiences gobble it up. Harry potter and GOT were both a victim to those, LOTR is the only one that got it right.

Yeah, not even close. Star wars is cheesy as hell. It started out well, but as the series drifted further from its inspirations... Dune, King Arthur and Taoism and the more it became the Muppets in space, the more it sucked.

Loved the Harry Potter series. Runs circles around SW.

LotR and Star Wars are both waaaaay better than Harry Potter. HP is still good, but not on the level of those 2.

I have actually enjoyed every single Star Wars movie, sure some may be better than others but I’ve liked them all. Same with LotR and the hobbit

Back