Halt And Catch Fire (Season 4)

see post #35, Huntercreed said that AMC is hoping the slow growth of this show turns into Breaking Bad like success

Oh, gotcha.

Yeah, I mean it will never hit Breaking Bad levels, but I don't think the general hope that the show's popularity grows over time is misplaced. I do think it's one of the best shows on TV and it's not getting the credit it deserves.

I'm hoping they're building toward the team getting back together.

Glad to see Bosworth is back, but that makes it seem like MacMillan will be no part of mutiny, because Bosworth probably wants to murder him.

My guess is Joe and Gordon team up for a project, much like they did in Season 1. And Donna and Cameron run Mutiny. So basically two teams, two different projects.

Then again, we're getting some foreshadowing of Donna and Cameron having some static between each other so I wouldn't be surprised if Mutiny totally falls apart.

My guess is Joe and Gordon team up for a project, much like they did in Season 1. And Donna and Cameron run Mutiny. So basically two teams, two different projects.

Then again, we're getting some foreshadowing of Donna and Cameron having some static between each other so I wouldn't be surprised if Mutiny totally falls apart.

It looks like Gordon is getting dragged into Mutinity, but in the trailer for the season it shows him saying Mutiny is dead or something like that.

I like the introduction of this new hacker to sign on to Mutiny. This could be interesting. I also like how Donna's idea of creating chat was introduced and didn't seem to catch on. Ahead of her time.

Joe's storyline is going nowhere fast. As someone that was enthralled by his jaunt off into the wilderness in the S1 finale, I'm disappointed in the story they stringed together. The girlfriend character seems very bland and disposable whereas the dynamic between him and Cameron was electric.

S2 still has potential to be better than S1. I would love to get 5 seasons out of HACF. It could be a slow burn like the Americans.

caught some onions this episode

when john left the mustang for his son

This season is growing on me. All stories are still spread apart, I can see how they might start coming back together.

Stringer, it looks like you and I really are the only ones here watching this show. That's a damn shame.

I don't think I can agree that I have any real confidence in S2 being better than S1. To me, S1 was SO GOOD and S2, while still being good TV, is just not quite living up to the promise of that first season. But I am entertained nonetheless. Like you, I'd be happy to get several seasons out of this show, but I'm also afraid that after this season (if we get another season) things are going to spiral out of control and it's going to be one of those shows where everyone's like, "Yeah, the first season was good, the second was okay too, but after that everything just went to shit."

I hope not though and maybe I'm in the minority. You seem to be enjoying this season as much as the first (or at least that's the way it seems) and a lot of critics seem to actually think it's better.

As for Joe. . .

I agree about his storyline. I assumed, when he got this new job and it wasn't going well, that he would simply quit soon with some big idea and track down Gordon to pull him into the project. But now it's not really looking like that's quite going to be the case, so I'm really not sure where they're going with him.

And I agree about his girlfriend. That's another thing that I assume he's going to quit soon as well. She's not an especially interesting character and they don't really seem to have a lot of chemistry.

But who knows what the writers have planned.

I'm about to watch the season one finale and I've got to say that I'm enjoying this show. The sound track alone is enough to win me over. Combine that with the fact that it has some interesting characters and I'm hooked.

Man. People are really taking advantage of Gordon.

Let's see.
His wife is a psychopath.

He had a crisis and a moment of weakness and she uses that to extort all his money And enslave him lol.

Let's not forget her trying to cheat with that guy from work.

Keeps the abortion a secret from Gordon, forces him to go to California. All while the guy is diagnosed with a serious illness.

And i used to think Joe was the asshole.

Okay, so I’ve finished Season 2. ANNNND here we go. . .

I have mixed feelings about this season. One thing I will say up front is that it is simply not as good as season 1. The Cardiff story is just more interesting than the Mutiny story. And season 1, with its more precise recreation of 1980s America, had a much more interesting and powerful sense of time of place going on.

This season there were also some plot missteps. What the fuck are they doing with Gordon? It’s almost like they don’t know WHAT to do with him so they decided to force his character into some silly ass subplots just to keep him active. The illness thing is stupid, the cocaine thng is stupid, the infidelity thing is stupid. The writers really fucked that one up.

I will say that part of the problem however may have been false expectations. If season 1 was Pumping Iron, then this was Pumping Iron II: The Women. I thought the Mutiny storyline was okay, but not nearly as interesting as what happens when Joe and Gordon get together. And I basically had this feeling that we were just waiting for Joe and Gordon to team back up and get some crazy shit going like they usually do. I think that if I had realized early on that that wasn’t going to happen—that is, that S2 is basically the Cameron and Donna show—then I would’ve been more into it.

All in all, if S1 was an 8.5 then I’d say S2 is a 7 (or possibly 6.5). That is to say that it’s “okay.” I still enjoyed it enough to keep watching. But I’m also really hoping that if there is a season 3 that the writers are able to learn from their mistakes and return to the level of storytelling that we got the first time around.

Man. People are really taking advantage of Gordon.

Let's see.
His wife is a psychopath.

He had a crisis and a moment of weakness and she uses that to extort all his money And enslave him lol.

Let's not forget her trying to cheat with that guy from work.

Keeps the abortion a secret from Gordon, forces him to go to California. All while the guy is diagnosed with a serious illness.

And i used to think Joe was the asshole.

That's an interesting perspective. Gordon was definitely wrong to cheat on his wife, but the only reason Donna didn't cheat in season was basically the dude blocked her advances. So she should be more understanding.

And the abortion thing, and especially the extortion thing, was weird. But I'm thinking the writers want us to read between the lines, at least in the latter regard. I think the main thrust there (especially with the "come work for Mutiny" bit) was that she was doing it to save her marriage, not the company.

Why is this thread so dead and why the fuck aren't more people watching this show?

Finally found the time to catch up a bit on HALT AND CATCH FIRE season one. Great series. I'm finished with episode 8 where it ends with them going to COMDEX. Love the happy-ish ending with Donna going with the trio instead of leaving Gordon.

Started on HALT AND CATCH FIRE season 2 episode 4. Glad John Bosworth is still alive. I had a feeling he was going to commit suicide after episode 3 where he gave the car to his son. I'm in love with Kerry Bishe.

To those that still remember season 1, who was responsible for sending those cops to beat up Joe McMillan? Was it John or Nathan? Thanks.

HALT AND CATCH FIRE

Finished watching season two. One of the best shows on TV right now. The story, characters, and narrative are exceptionally strong. Cameron's story arc is the strongest while Joe and Gordon's are solid but could have been better.

HALT AND CATCH FIRE

Finished watching season two. One of the best shows on TV right now. The story, characters, and narrative are exceptionally strong. Cameron's story arc is the strongest while Joe and Gordon's are solid but could have been better.

Season 2's ratings were low, what were the idiots watching? Halt and Catch Fire is solid.

I'm wondering if Penny Dreadful is worth starting

I've seen all episodes of it. Not a bad show to watch if you don't have anything else. Besides, Eva Green is there and she always delivers the "goods"!

Mad props to Dragon for recommending Halt and Catch fire. I just binged on S1 and was quite an awesome series to watch! Felt mad-men'esque w/ the quips by Lee Pace but it was totally enjoyable. It was fun to see the little things they talk about w/ regards to the future of the industry coming true (i.e., internet, lcd screens, lan gaming etc..).

Starting on S2 now.

HALT AND CATCH FIRE

Here here, good taste my man! I'm interested to see how things play out with Gordo and John McAfee, uh, I mean Joe lol

Mad props to Dragon for recommending Halt and Catch fire. I just binged on S1 and was quite an awesome series to watch! Felt mad-men'esque w/ the quips by Lee Pace but it was totally enjoyable. It was fun to see the little things they talk about w/ regards to the future of the industry coming true (i.e., internet, lcd screens, lan gaming etc..).

Starting on S2 now.
Sweet. Glad you enjoyed it.

Season 2's ratings were low, what were the idiots watching? Halt and Catch Fire is solid.
Yeah. Too bad Sherdoggers flock to watch the not-so-great True Detective season 2 (half of them are probably hate-watching) but ignore Halt and Catch Fire.

Here here, good taste my man! I'm interested to see how things play out with Gordo and John McAfee, uh, I mean Joe lol
I'm guessing Gordon's marriage won't be as rosy as he will be disgruntled by the fact that his wife forced him to go work for Mutiny instead of becoming a multi-millionaire with Joe.

Okay, sooooo what the fuck? Why have they still not announced if we're getting season 3? This is a very long wait.

Back