Gym Confrontations

Years ago one of the first places I trained Thai boxing at was located halfway down a dingy alleyway with poor lighting. It was very common to get "meatheads" as our coach called them coming in and getting a bit too pushy with people, at which point they were simply told to settle down or step outside. I had my fair share of fun bareknuckling in the back alley, being young and invincible as we all were at the time. Good fun.

I felt and still do that it was a good thing with certain people, as we did have a couple guys who took their lumps and humbled up and stuck around. Some of them went quite far, too, actually. Further than I did. It's nice to think I played a part, however small, in helping somebody shift their trajectory from meathead bully to successful amateur titleist.

lol, he sounds like a punk. next time, let him know what's up. Hold your head & chest high, shoulders back and look directly at him in the eyes and flex !

Happened to me once after many years of going to the gym.

I was using 65 on the incline bench. Was resting while another dude jumped in real quick. Out of nowhere some tall douchebag grabs my weights. I tell him I'm using him and usually people say no problem and give them back. He decided acting like a tough guy, we argued a little and he dropped them. Ten minutes later he ended up apologizing, I guess it's because I didn't back down. Lord knows if we got into a fight I would have gotten my ass kicked. For some reason I feel like my tattoo's intimidated him.

Really?

yep, no curls in the squat rack please.

I don't talk to anyone lifting weights, I have traded looks when people stare, a "what the fuck are you looking at" kind of thing. People in the gym can be rude.

congrats, you're the gym idiot.

lol, stop roiding and you'll stop getting pissed at stupid shit.

I caught someone in my gym trying to take a picture of me with their phone as I walked by. Walked straight up to him and made it clear that his phone would be going out the window if he tries it again. The reason he was taking the photo is because Im in China and being the tall-ish bearded foreigner i am, I guess that make me of interest.

If you live in China, get used to that. Will be happening everywhere outside of the top tier cities. No need to get so butthurt.

A girl I know who is a gym rat and enjoys lifting was in China for a couple of years. She would draw a crowd every time she lifted. Literally, a crowd of Chinese dudes surrounding her bench, watching her.

I can't stop laughing thinking up this scenario in my head lmao

Ive been in and out of many many gyms since I was 13 - 14, for around 25 years by now... Ive never been or seen any confrontation at any gym in my life.... I say hi and shake hands with many people at my gym, and my gym is pretty hardcore (for bodybuilding) there are a couple guys who compete in bodybuidling contests and others who have tried to get into the olympia... I always believe people who like to live in conflict will see and look for conflict anywhere they go... I live in peace and as I said Ive never seen anybody trying to fight anybody at any gym for almost 25 years.... as I always say the universe is whatever you want to believe it is. Peace!

This one time I was playing basketball and our ball kept going into the adjacent court and I kept retrieving it at times that it didn't affect play. Nonetheless, this guy kept yelling at me to stop, becoming increasingly more threatening. I ignored him and continued to play basketball.

You did the right thing by calming down. He had a bad day or was clearly an asshole that should be avoided. I go to the gym every day and see assholes like that. I am quite big, so they don't bug me...lol. But i dont like how they treat some of the smaller guys. I stand up for them and tell the assholes to leave them alone. They usually listen.

I just go to train with no chit-chat. If I bump in to an asshole i go elsewhere. Avoid them like a plague. The best is pretending they dont exist. LOL.

I spend most of my time in a boxing gym, so yeah. Fortunately it's encouraged and controlled violence.

I got in a tussle at the gym recently. It happens. You win some you lose some.

Back