Gym Confrontations

Agreed; if done correctly. The way some people lift will actually impede flexibility, thus diminishing technique.

The "if done correctly" disclaimer can be applied to everything.

Practicing technique is good; if done correctly. The way some people practice and the techniques they practice, actually impede ability, thus diminishing effective strength.

Case in point.

This is not true at all.

Technique > Strength

A lot of my friends in high school played football and did weight training in the off season. Without a doubt they were stronger than me in the weight room. But when it came to the wrestling mat, they would get man handled quite literally.

This is not a discussion on technique vs strength.

With your technique and their strength you would have been even better.

What I said is broadly true. One could argue number of limbs or size of frame were important as well but that would be grossly missing the point.

Your gym sounds like a hole in the wall dive weights all over tight space, time to upgrade from Ron's Basement Gym...

I'm near sighted so I forget that sometimes there are people in my line of vision 30-40 ft away. I think I'm just staring at nothing but the person in my line of view thinks I'm staring at them. Never got in a fight because of it but people used to mean mug me all the time. Finally I just stopped staring off in the distance while I worked out.

Sorry, awful confrontation story.

I'm near sighted so I forget that sometimes there are people in my line of vision 30-40 ft away. I think I'm just staring at nothing but the person in my line of view thinks I'm staring at them. Never got in a fight because of it but people used to mean mug me all the time. Finally I just stopped staring off in the distance while I worked out.

Sorry, awful confrontation story.
you wierdos gotta stop doing this. Put on your glasses or learn to look elsewhere cuz everyone thinks youre either a retarded sperg or a shortfuse looking for a fight.

shit like this could get you killed in a baboon troop.

you wierdos gotta stop doing this. Put on your glasses or learn to look elsewhere cuz everyone thinks youre either a retarded sperg or a shortfuse looking for a fight.

shit like this could get you killed in a baboon troop.

"Learn to look elsewhere" - do you not understand what it is to be near-sighted?

Working out with glasses is shit, btw.

I wish it were still like this. Nowadays, everyone thinks theyre a powerlifter or crossfitter and you have to wait hours for a squat rack cuz half the gym is on Startin Strength or 5/3/1. Walk into any public gym these days and youll see Rehbanded knees as far as the eye can see and skinnyass dudes benching with Slingshots. I blame the youtube fitness community for unleashing these clones on the gyms of America.

The worst part is gyms havent matched the change in demand to install more racks and platforms to replace all the BS isolation machines no one uses anymore.

so basically...... you were squatting before it was cool?

I caught someone in my gym trying to take a picture of me with their phone as I walked by. Walked straight up to him and made it clear that his phone would be going out the window if he tries it again. The reason he was taking the photo is because Im in China and being the tall-ish bearded foreigner i am, I guess that make me of interest.

I was once nearly detained by Chinese immigration for not looking like my passport photo. I had grown a beard after the shot was taken. This is apparently a hard concept for the orientals.

"Learn to look elsewhere" - do you not understand what it is to be near-sighted?

Working out with glasses is shit, btw.

I thought I was an asshole for a second until I read your post, lol. Thank you.

I made a thread on here before about how someone complained I was sweating while I was running on a treadmill. Same thing just happened to someone else at the gym. He comes up to me and says remember that lady who complained about ur sweating? Will that old guy just did it to me.

The gym has become a place where people socialize and pretend to workout and those that are working hard are the assholes for sweating

Do you drip sweat everywhere? I use a towel to wipe my head off every few mins. But im guessing you are one of those dudes who sweats like crazy.

Do you drip sweat everywhere? I use a towel to wipe my head off every few mins. But im guessing you are one of those dudes who sweats like crazy.

I sweat like that. I usually run 4-5 miles on the treadmill and my shirt and most of my shorts won't have a dry spot on them and will be as wet as they would if you dunked them in a bucket. The entire console and deck will have drops of sweat on it.....which I always wipe down after myself. I get on there to push myself and get on to something else, I'm not fucking around and reading a magazine whilst walking at 3.5 mph. Nobody , friends and workout partners aside has ever said anything and I not sure how anyone could possibly feel it would be appropriate to. Some people just don't sweat much . I used to train for marathons with a pretty talentd runner ( he ran 2:30s for the full) and in the summer he'd have a damp spot on his neck while my shoes were literally filling up and sloshing with sweat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had a confrontation at my gym. But there are these two leviathan women who go there about once a week to walk on the treadmills, of which there are only a few (small gym), for 10 minutes before using all the weight benches to do 2.5 lb dumbbell flies for a half hour.

During the occupy movement, they were talking shit about how our generation has never had to deal with adversity, and that's why they were protesting when the economy was hitting rock bottom. These women are middle aged. So I guess Operation Desert Storm, Afghanistan, and the latest war in Iraq are nothing compared to the bra burning they must have had to do in the 60's. That really pissed me off for some reason. Maybe because their fat asses couldn't even handle staying in shape, yet they're criticizing an entire generation for protesting institutionalized income inequality.

All the meatheads at my gym are the coolest people ever. They're all approachable and super helpful with diet and workout advice.

All the meatheads at my gym are the coolest people ever. They're all approachable and super helpful with diet and workout advice.

I'm actually surprised at this also. Initially I thought they were all gonna be assholes, At my gym there's only one who's an ass, but the rest are pretty chill.

yeah i sweat a lot but i'm busting ass hard. i run 5 miles in 30 minutes on the treadmill. i wipe down after but not during my run. its difficult for me to wipe down during because it breaks my rhythm and i'm going really fast (even though i can keep that pace for an hour - its basically as fast as i can go). i completely clean up and wipe down well after. but i'm not sweating on anyone else. my sweat may hit the treadmill next to me but just on the sides. theres no way its traveling 5 feet and hitting the next person

I sweat like that. I usually run 4-5 miles on the treadmill and my shirt and most of my shorts won't have a dry spot on them and will be as wet as they would if you dunked them in a bucket. The entire console and deck will have drops of sweat on it.....which I always wipe down after myself. I get on there to push myself and get on to something else, I'm not fucking around and reading a magazine whilst walking at 3.5 mph. Nobody , friends and workout partners aside has ever said anything and I not sure how anyone could possibly feel it would be appropriate to. Some people just don't sweat much . I used to train for marathons with a pretty talentd runner ( he ran 2:30s for the full) and in the summer he'd have a damp spot on his neck while my shoes were literally filling up and sloshing with sweat.

exactly this. kudos and keep up that pace

Back