Gustafsson's hair cost him the Jones fight.

Patty Wah lost his fight due to his hair:

roy_vernon_ap_.jpg

I said "decent", not "great".

It was definitely enough to have an impact. And no, I'm not going into an argument as to exactly how many toes landed.

Ok but I wouldn't call 10% connection decent. It was more of a miss than it was a hit. You wouldn't call a girl who's a 1 or 2 decent would you?

I remember thinking something very similar, not just when watching Gus vs Jones, but a couple other fights too with fighters with long hair

It definetly does make every punch and kick absorbed look much more dramatic, and way overstated

Don't know if it would have changed the outcome of the Gus vs Jones fight, but live it defienetly makes a huge difference.

it's only on the replays you can tell the landing wasn't actually that hard or precise

i think they need to allow swim caps, but i also think they should allow gis and wrestling shoes, so take it with a grain of salt

Last edited:
Ok but I wouldn't call 10% connection decent. It was more of a miss than it was a hit. You wouldn't call a girl who's a 1 or 2 decent would you?

It made enough of an impact to make Gus' head snap back (no, not his hair only).

That's decent to me.

Jones haters need to get over that fight, it happened over a year ago. It was a close fight and Jones won there's no need to make up excuses over nothing.

It made enough of an impact to make Gus' head snap back (no, not his hair only).

That's decent to me.

Say these words: "10% connection is decent" and see if you really believe it. Head snapping back doesn't matter. That kick was pretty much a slap.

Jones has a hair advantage.

This is the most ridiculous excuse I have read thus far.

Idk why people are disputing this its common knowledge for people who fight. Long hair makes even light impacts looks much more forceful which in turn makes the judges think a strike did more damage than it really did.

Long hair doesn't mean jackshit in the physical fight unless its in your face, but it sure as hell has an effect on judging, especially with the "significant strikes" count.

Not saying it caused Gus to lose the decision (his hairs not even that long). But it could have definitely helped Jones in the eyes of the judges in an already close fight.

edit: There's even been cases of early stoppages by refs cause a long haired fighter ate a good combo but their hair makes it look like a ballistic missile just hit them.

I have long hair (jewfro), I spar almost daily, even light hits I take look like I just got majorly rocked.

Last edited:
Bendo got the biggest hair problem in MMA. That didn't sway the judges, Gus was just a little bit short, but he should've improved. Two more days.

Been reading about some people wanting Big Country to drop to LHW. Dude's got some serious hair. All he'd have to do is cut his hair and shave, and he'd be half way to LHW!!!

Say these words: "10% connection is decent" and see if you really believe it. Head snapping back doesn't matter. That kick was pretty much a slap.

Bas used to slap his opponents into curling up, Sapp style.

The slap is for real.

Wow, just wow.

The more you try to discredit Jones, the more you do a disservice to Gus who performed like a Champ that night.

Really, Gus's hair did him in, really?...for fucks sake...only on Sherdog.

That first gif - lol.
It's like Gus is too tall to reliably eyepoke, so Jones had to try get his toes in there.

But, yeah, TS, I thought about this on the night of the fight. His hair slapping around made some shots look worse than they otherwise might have. I doubt shorter hair would have made much of a difference though.

People who have problems in fights due to their hair: Bendo, KJ Noons. Gus is not one of these guys.

This x1000

these guys keep fixing their hair after every exchange...Glad someone else caught it. It's so annoying, surprised their opponents dont time them more often

I'm guessing TS got this idea after watching spectacular Brenneman KOs

Back