Gustafsson @HW?

Technical abilities and punch precision >>> raw power

If you hit anyone enough and at the right spot they will go down and stay down.
Yeah but very precious few are accurate enough and have the counter game to set up that clean killshot.

There's a tax for everything and without power you need to be a sniper with perfect timing. And this would seemingly lead to a style that'd lose decisions

He would have to get out of the USADA pool for a year but could work

I don't know what to think of him after he shit the bed against Jones. Will always be a big fan tho

DC beats him. Ngannou, JDS, and maybe even Lewis KTFO him. Overeem and Stipe beat him too. He might have a chance against Blaydes.

Technical abilities and punch precision >>> raw power

If you hit anyone enough and at the right spot they will go down and stay down.

if that was true Overeem should've beaten Ngannou.

at HW the rules change, you need the basics to be able to compete. power and a chin. if you don't have either of those, you better be a wrestler.

I've been thinking about it and why not? He's in no mans land @LHW and I think he matches up well physically w most of the Heavies (with the exception of Ngannou). Not only does he match up well.physically but I think he would do just fine skill wise against the top 10.

He could beat everyone at HW rn. If DC left he'd be champ most likely. Don't think anyone except DC or Stipe could compete. But also think that's true of a lot of LHW's. Gus putting on that weight and getting some KO power to go with his elite striking and cardio would be fucking insane.

Tbh I think he deserves a third shot at Jones. He was injured during the second fight. I think the MMA world realized the first one was a fluke regardless though and the excuse doesn't matter so no one even bothered but then again since when have you needed a chance to win to get a title shot at 205?

Wouldn't be shocked if he did this but tbh think he might also be retired in a year or two.

Volkov would beat Gus up.

Gus's last relevant win was a washed up Glover.
Let that sink in.

Only delusional Jones fans think he would dominate HW lol.

Anytime I hear about a LHW moving up to HW I question their success and even with some of the best ever like Jones, or Gus. There is a reason why there has never been a LHW since we've started watching this sport move up and do well at HW. There has been HW's moving down and then back up, but never the other way around.

Perhaps the size is too much.

Bader done pretty well.

He could beat everyone at HW rn. If DC left he'd be champ most likely. Don't think anyone except DC or Stipe could compete. But also think that's true of a lot of LHW's. Gus putting on that weight and getting some KO power to go with his elite striking and cardio would be fucking insane.

Tbh I think he deserves a third shot at Jones. He was injured during the second fight. I think the MMA world realized the first one was a fluke regardless though and the excuse doesn't matter so no one even bothered but then again since when have you needed a chance to win to get a title shot at 205?

Wouldn't be shocked if he did this but tbh think he might also be retired in a year or two.

He wasn’t injured in that fight he just choked and folded under the pressure but otherwise I agree with this

He wasn’t injured in that fight he just choked and folded under the pressure but otherwise I agree with this

I mean I get people not wanting to admit it. Not saying it cause I think he would have won if he was 100% saying it cause that fight didn't demonstrate how good Gus was. Gus wouldn't win anyway, Jones taking the first fight lightly even the last 2 rounds of the first fight are enough to prove this IMO. But as someone who considered the first fight the best title fight ever and waited for years to see 2.0, I do feel robbed by the rematch cause of the injury. Gus is better than THAT.

Anytime I hear about a LHW moving up to HW I question their success and even with some of the best ever like Jones, or Gus. There is a reason why there has never been a LHW since we've started watching this sport move up and do well at HW. There has been HW's moving down and then back up, but never the other way around.

DC proved this false.

LHW's move up to HW cause HW is easier.

gus fights for money pretty much at this point. doesnt seem to really have the hunger to get the belt, or else he would be in the cage more often

at least hes fighting smith in a few weeks. if he wins that maybe he goes to HW? doesnt seem like theirs anything left for him at 205. the rockhold fight is about the only thing i can think of - but if luke wins vs jan im pretty sure luke will get a title shot vs jones at the end of the year. that will be jones' end of the year opponent

Champ material at HW.

Let’s be honest, he or DC would be champ at LHW if Jones didn’t take steroids.

Bader done pretty well.

Bader is the only one that comes to mind. But let's be honest.....he beat Mitroine and a old Fedor. I am talking about someone that can beat several top current Hws.

DC proved this false.

LHW's move up to HW cause HW is easier.

DC was a HW for many years before he moved down and then back up. So that doesnt follow the idea of a LHW moving up to HW and being successful. There are several fighters like that like Randy Couture for example.

DC was a HW for many years before he moved down and then back up. So that doesnt follow the idea of a LHW moving up to HW and being successful

DC is a natural MW/LHW. He was at HW cause Cain was in HW. He is 5 foot 11. Jones is more of a HW than he is. The fact DC fought there cause of the time in which he entered the sport is irrelevant.

If DC can do well at HW, it means your Jones's and Gus's who will not have that size disadvantage are in better not worse shape. Sure they've never fought at HW, but they are 6 foot 4 and 6 foot 5, whether they'd be better isn't a mystery.

Surely someone pointed this out by now....but Daniel Cormier? The current HW champ (who has already defended his title)

EDIT: I see you're using the rational that DC fought at HW first, so he doesn't count. Fair enough.

Alistair?

Overeem did pretty alright

Back