Gus path to victory?

Gus isnt exactly known as a one punch KO guy, and is coming in with some significant ring rust, if I were him honestly i'd give Jones a taste of his own medicine and gouge his eye then sleep him before the ref can do anything about it. If a guy is literally going to get a pass to cheat with steroids a week out from a fight, then all rules go out the window IMO. Letting Jon fight on PEDs is like letting him come to the cage with brass knuckles, so everything is fair game now.

Break his chicken legs.
Strongest chicken legs on earth.

giphy.gif

Jon has no power close range. Cut the octagon off and make it a dogfight, but under no circumstances tie up and clinch. Just keep moving forward staying tight on the inside. He has no power in his hands up close. Get him to duck out after slipping and rip an uppercut into that douches dick socket

Same gameplan as the first fight. Keep the fight inside boxing distance and defend takedowns. And of course watch out for spinning elbows and headkicks.

Gus isnt exactly known as a one punch KO guy, and is coming in with some significant ring rust, if I were him honestly i'd give Jones a taste of his own medicine and gouge his eye then sleep him before the ref can do anything about it. If a guy is literally going to get a pass to cheat with steroids a week out from a fight, then all rules go out the window IMO. Letting Jon fight on PEDs is like letting him come to the cage with brass knuckles, so everything is fair game now.

That isn't exactly reality but o.k. Jones was tested and 50 parts out of a million was detected, 50/1,000,000. The amount detected is molecule sized. Your welcome to characterize it like Jones is juiced up on rocket fuel or " has a pass to cheat" but that is not what is happening here.

Karate chops. Lots of 'em.

The key is resetting after landing combos just like in the Glover fight.

get a new cardio (isn't happening, he has a punchers chance)

I'll be pulling for him but what should exactly be his path to victory?

Box him up early and go for broke?

Made a thread about specific techniques he might use if interested:
How Gus can beat Jones, a study of the first fight (w/ GIFs)

But basically I think obviously use his boxing, but some key methods from boxing he might use are:
  • Learn to circle to his left while entering, this would help him avoid both the left elbow and right spinning elbow.
  • Double jab to body and head (while circling left) worked well in first fight.
  • Throw a right hook to the body after the jab rather than always a right cross, Jon is open to this while in orthodox because he backs away with left arm outstretched leaving the left side of his body open; also circle left while doing this to avoid Jon's outstretched left hand.
  • Use jab-left hook while circling left to enter when Jon is in orthodox instead of just relying on entering with the jab-cross; Jon's standard defense to back away while circling to his right while in orthodox is great for evading the cross but puts him in the way of the left hook.
  • When Jon is in southpaw, he is more open to entering with the jab-cross since his lead shoulder no longer covers him, but use footwork that covers a lot of distance when throwing it because Jon still responds by backing up a lot.
  • Play the same eye poke game as Jon, which is to put your hand right in his face every time he approaches; since no one else will enforce the rules he has to create parity in the rules himself.
I think I would also add:
  • Use the collar tie while uppercutting from the clinch, both because Jon could not take him down from the clinch in the first fight, and Jon was very well trained to avoid the uppercut in the first fight (which Gus is known for) except when Gus had the collar tie, Jon also showed a vulnerability to this with Cormier and the collar tie should be easier for Gus since he's much taller.
  • Learn to kick while being evasive a lot more. Gus actually succeeded in most of his kicks from distance in the first fight, at least he was rarely countered. He was rarely countered probably because of the distance he can kick from and also because Jon did not trust his boxing against him. But he rarely kicked except when Jon kicked him. So use it a lot more to score points if nothing else.
  • Others suggested finishing combos on a kick. I think this is a good idea, but it is unlikely that Gus can implement it because it would require too much of a change of his style from boxing to kickboxing.

Last edited:
I think that in that fight- Gus should have came out with more to build on for a rematch than Jon.

I hope that’s the case and Gus is motivated to actually build on it. But panic wrestling vs Jan, and then only finishing an old slow Glover late in a non eventful fight, plus a long lay off give me doubts.

Gus needs a near perfect fight and I’m rooting for him to pull it off. Last time seemed like Jones outlasted him in the 5th, maybe body shots early and often can level out the endurance differentials.

A very similar gameplan as last time. He needs to keep his distance and avoid clinching with Jones. He needs to cut angles and land when Jones is coming in. Movement and conditioning is the key for Gustafsson.

Honestly he just needs his wrestling to be as good and to have better defense against the kicks. Jones only scored in the first few rounds with his legs. If Gus can keep his wrestling as good as last time, improve on defending the kicks, and not tire, he can box jones up.

That isn't exactly reality but o.k. Jones was tested and 50 parts out of a million was detected, 50/1,000,000. The amount detected is molecule sized. Your welcome to characterize it like Jones is juiced up on rocket fuel or " has a pass to cheat" but that is not what is happening here.

Since when does it matter the size of the banned substance in your system? Jones has a banned substance in his system. It’s showing up on tests (only on fight week), therefore he’s breaking the rules by fighting. If I were to barely shoot you with a gun should I get off for it? No. My ass should go to jail.

I watched Gustaffson vs. Jones I, Jones-Cormier II, Gustafsson-Cormier and Gustafsson-Teixeira the other week just to answer this question to myself. This is pretty much gonna be a striking match-- there's nothing about their grappling that would suggest they've developed an edge over the other since the first fight, and Jones is a tall wrestler in the first place and he naturally struggles when he doesn't have a height advantage, so the striking is what remains.

It doesn't always take some amazing strategy to be able to overcome somebody. Sometimes just noticing what other people haven't done, asking yourself "Why?" and having the balls to actually try it is what can make a world champion.
This applies to anything, by the way.

Head movement and feetwork
- Jon Jones' striking is built entirely around his reach and his kicks. He usually uses his reach for elbows because his arms are so long (his elbow can land where most guys' long-hook would), and his jab is sturdy and basic. However, long arms have a drawback in they lose the piston-like speed that lets you pump it out and feint with it, and it makes hooks awkward and gangly, which leads to retardedly-basic boxing: slip the jab, close the distance and land something. The guy's arms will take too long to re-set his defense, and kickers don't usually have great head-movement because it's hard to move your head on one leg with your body in momentum.

This gif from current #1-ranked strawweight Haruo Ochi (you can find more strawweights in the OFFICIAL(!!!) rankings in my sig) is a good example of both the slipping and the long-armed-hook principles.

This leaves the kicks, but Gustafsson figured out a solution to that in their first fight. Dance around to make it hard for Jones to set himself for a good kick (being off-balance against someone with the swarming abilities of Gustafsson isn't a good idea), and if he lands that side-kick to the leg, press forward off of it and throw a bunch of combinations. Doing this swelled up Jon's face.

Jones hasn't showed any solutions to these problems since, by the way. He's leveled up his high-kick and can hide them off both of his legs, which is a challenge for Gustafsson's head movement, but everything else he's modified wouldn't suggest immediate solutions to Sasha's style.
Gustafsson's movement since the first fight includes adding the back-run-- you slip a punch, turn your back to your opponent at a weird angle, and run away before re-setting, he did it a lot while dominating Glover-- which is a real danger against someone with a good high-kick, so leveling up the high-kick might be enough to beat Gustafsson...

Uppercut the body
- Daniel Cormier actually had a lot of success in the first fight attacking Jones' legs and body, for obvious reason. It doesn't take a genius to realize that a tall, thin fighters' stomach won't take punches like someone squat and with the core of current #1-Strawweight Haruo Ochi. Legs, too.
Most fighters are either too dumb, stubborn or unskilled (or limited by injuries) to be able to do this, though, which is why Jones never had to worry about it. His long arms make catching kicks easier, nobody wants to be beneath Jones' elbows, and most fighters' kicking-boxing is too shitty to be able to circumvent this.

Gustafsson's punching style also transitions very naturally to using the uppercut for body-work, and it creates a double-threat since Jones doesn't know where the uppercut's gonna land.
When I was re-watching the first fight I said to myself repeatedly, "It's weird he's not attacking the body or throwing any uppercuts. Both of those are wide open and he's just sticking to his hooks. Especially since Jon's gas tank is what's winning him the fourth and fifth rounds, and bodywork is how you destroy a gas tank..."
Since then, he's added a really powerful uppercut to his arsenal, and it's been on full display in recent wins. So he's learned. An uppercut to the body is also likely to land on the solar plexis, and anybody who's taken one of those can tell you how it hurts.
And there's just the chance the uppercut will land and knock Jones out. Here's a brutal knockout from top~20 strawweight Jeremy Miado (against then~20 strawweight Peng Xue Wen) to illustrate that:

Of course, the problems with body-work is you lower your hand to land the punch, and at close range that leaves you open to Jon's elbows, but Gustafsson has a low guard and focuses heavily on head-movement to make it easier to stuff takedowns [put your hands on your head and put them at your waist and ask yourself "which makes me feel safer against a takedown?"], so that might not even be a problem in the first place. If low hands meant a counter-knockout shot, the first fight wouldn't have been so close.

Burst-combos
- Currently 4th-ranked strawweight Mitsuhisa Sunabe's fight with currently-8th-ranked Daichi Kitakata is a great example of burst-combinations. Unfortunately, I don't have a gif of that, but you can watch it on FightPass if you want. Sunabe's up there with Gustafsson as one of the best burst-punchers in the sport today-- they could probably learn a LOT from each other if they could overcome the language barrier.
Bursting with combinations is the key to Gustafsson's whole style, and when a guy's good at it, your defenses once they start the burst are very limited. You either have to land a counter-shot (Jon's never been much a counter-striker), weather the storm or angle out at the perfect moment, and Jon was only able to weather the storm the first time... and the facial results were obvious. Preventing them from getting in that position in the first place is the best way to deal with it, but Gustafsson's feet-movement and balance make that difficult.

Tap the legs
- This is more ancillary and Gustaffson's unlikely to do it since his leg kicks aren't that great, but piling up the leg kicks lightly-- to where landing them feels more like a tap (but not to the other guy) is an Obvious strategy against someone with the chicken legs of Jon Jones. Here's a highlight of Strawweight GOAT Rambaa Somdet to show what I mean specifically:

And with his combination skill, Gustafsson could very feasibly sneak in lots of light kicks over 25 minutes. He's done it in a lot anyways. His low kicks are a little sloppy-- this is MMA after all, everyone's shitty at something (except the strawweights...)-- so it would make it easier for Jones to catch them and keep Gustafsson on his back, which is why I said this is ancillary. Figured I'd throw it out there, though.

Last edited:
Just fight his fight. His strength (boxing, movement) seems to be Jones kryptonite so far. I had him winning that 1st fight before that elbow in the 4th round that completely changed the momentum of the fight.

Gus' style and size will always give Jones problems

Back