Gus path to victory?

Since when does it matter the size of the banned substance in your system? Jones has a banned substance in his system. It’s showing up on tests (only on fight week), therefore he’s breaking the rules by fighting. If I were to barely shoot you with a gun should I get off for it? No. My ass should go to jail.

I'm just contesting the idea that Jones is "juiced to the gills", he isn't.

Land combos as often as possible and hope that Jon's chin gets cracked

this

he has to win by TKO

Bones is too smart and good at making adjustments for Gus to win a decision. Not to mention more tested and cardio ready later

I'm just contesting the idea that Jones is "juiced to the gills", he isn't.

Okay, that I get. Wasn’t trying to attack you, but certainly you can see that him having anything in his system is kinda unfair BS

Okay, that I get. Wasn’t trying to attack you, but certainly you can see that him having anything in his system is kinda unfair BS

I'm not unreasonable but I can be biased. I really want to see this rematch and if we don't get it now we may never get it.

Legit takedown Jones in the last minute and keep him there.

He is one of the few people to actually takedown Jon and Gus should make full use of that.

That isn't exactly reality but o.k. Jones was tested and 50 parts out of a million was detected, 50/1,000,000. The amount detected is molecule sized. Your welcome to characterize it like Jones is juiced up on rocket fuel or " has a pass to cheat" but that is not what is happening here.

Stop repeating the UFC shill party line. What he tested for is not the whole of it, he's clearly been cycling the whole time and that's why he's popping AT ALL while other guys aren't (including guys who popped in the past). He's not on "just" 50 picograms of Tbol, he's on an entire cycle and thats just the one drug he goofed on with his cycle.

i just want to see someone oblique kick Jones back.

i've never understood it, they allow him to do it them, but don't do it back to toothpick legs himself??

I'm not unreasonable but I can be biased. I really want to see this rematch and if we don't get it now we may never get it.

True. I want to see it as well. Part of me just feels conflicted because we all know going in, that one guy still has something in his system. Odd situation for sure.

Sue UFC for criminal negligence.

That isn't exactly reality but o.k. Jones was tested and 50 parts out of a million was detected, 50/1,000,000. The amount detected is molecule sized. Your welcome to characterize it like Jones is juiced up on rocket fuel or " has a pass to cheat" but that is not what is happening here.

Mate, if you really believe that weak excuse, I have a bridge to sell you...

Made a thread about specific techniques he might use if interested:
How Gus can beat Jones, a study of the first fight (w/ GIFs)

But basically I think obviously use his boxing, but some key methods from boxing he might use are:
  • Learn to circle to his left while entering, this would help him avoid both the left elbow and right spinning elbow.
  • Double jab to body and head (while circling left) worked well in first fight.
  • Throw a right hook to the body after the jab rather than always a right cross, Jon is open to this while in orthodox because he backs away with left arm outstretched leaving the left side of his body open; also circle left while doing this to avoid Jon's outstretched left hand.
  • Use jab-left hook while circling left to enter when Jon is in orthodox instead of just relying on entering with the jab-cross; Jon's standard defense to back away while circling to his right while in orthodox is great for evading the cross but puts him in the way of the left hook.
  • When Jon is in southpaw, he is more open to entering with the jab-cross since his lead shoulder no longer covers him, but use footwork that covers a lot of distance when throwing it because Jon still responds by backing up a lot.
  • Play the same eye poke game as Jon, which is to put your hand right in his face every time he approaches; since no one else will enforce the rules he has to create parity in the rules himself.
I think I would also add:
  • Use the collar tie while uppercutting from the clinch, both because Jon could not take him down from the clinch in the first fight, and Jon was very well trained to avoid the uppercut in the first fight (which Gus is known for) except when Gus had the collar tie, Jon also showed a vulnerability to this with Cormier and the collar tie should be easier for Gus since he's much taller.
  • Learn to kick while being evasive a lot more. Gus actually succeeded in most of his kicks from distance in the first fight, at least he was rarely countered. He was rarely countered probably because of the distance he can kick from and also because Jon did not trust his boxing against him. But he rarely kicked except when Jon kicked him. So use it a lot more to score points if nothing else.
  • Others suggested finishing combos on a kick. I think this is a good idea, but it is unlikely that Gus can implement it because it would require too much of a change of his style from boxing to kickboxing.

Salute bro

I'm an MMA expert, so Gus have to:
  • fight out of the centerline
  • circle
  • disrupt Jones' offence cutting the distance immediately when Jon strikes/kicks
  • land, change the angle, and then land again

I'm an MMA expert, so Gus have to:
  • fight out of the centerline
  • circle
  • disrupt Jones' offence cutting the distance immediately when Jon strikes/kicks
  • land, change the angle, and then land again
Also, I'll add up to that:
  • change the level when Jones is at one leg
  • take Jon down on the angle / high crotch / run the pipe
  • don't let Jon read on you
  • don't let Jon mask his attacks

Same as the first fight, keep it standing and keep using boxing. Avoid the head kicks and spinning shit.

Back